i30 Owners Club

New owner of 2012 i30 CRDi Station Wagon

Offline AutoAlchemy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a second hand i30 for use as a daily runner and thought I would get to know the car a bit more by joining this forum and learning from your experience.

I run an Auto Detailing Studio so the first thing I did was give the car a steam clean in the interior and good external bath:

After that I stripped the wax applied by the previous owner and gave it a decontamination bath and physical decon with a clay towel, there was quite a lot of reaction with the paint with bonded ferrous oxide which you can see in the purple deposits on the ground in this photo.

I then set about correcting this soon to be lovely paint to bring out the metallic fleck which was hidden underneath an opaque clear coat riddled with swirl marks and scratches, yet not beyond repair, here is a couple of test spot pictures to highlight the difference between before and after.

There were a number of deep scratches along there but nothing I couldn't remove, the paint on this car was quite thin compared to other manufacturers but was of a good quality I felt and certainly harder than Japanese paints, not too much peel but the varying depths confused me a bit, the bonnet was about 120 microns thick but the roof (where the most severe damage was from the previous owner putting things on the roof rack) was around 80 to 90 microns thick.

Here are a couple of examples of the kinds of scratches that were on the car which are now removed

They were taken in the typical spots you find your scuffs on a car where passengers have dragged their bags along the side of the panel on exiting and entering the car, a pet hate of mine for sure! felt good to eliminate these marks.

I then moved onto compounding the sides of the car, again it had all the typical swirling of a car of it's age in all the usual spots, yet another pet hate of mine is people who close the door using the paint instead of the plastic handle or the plastic door edge, which leaves marks like this

Fortunately they are easily corrected, leaving only that lovely blue metallic sparkle!

Another pet hate! scratching around the fuel filler cap!!!! grrr!!!!

Eliminated!

The poor boot lip :(

50/50 on the upper boot lip

All up I spent around 20 hours doing three stages of correction on the car, a bit of sanding on the heavy scratches on the roof and sides was also included in this and it was followed by two polishing stages. I am really happy with the results and the car looks stunning now in full sunlight with the metallic paint absolutely popping, I would rate it as high as I would other premium euro car's I have done in the past.

And of course, you don't spend 20 hours on a car's paint without locking it in with a nano ceramic glass coating - my coating of choice in this case is Cquartz Finest, which will give me 2 years of protection without the need for regular polish or wax. Phew!

The car is a great drive, yes it feels like a bit of an appliance when compared to my other car (07 Astra Turbo) but it does it's intended job well, the motor feels quite potent and pulls well up hills, no diesel fumes or anything like that under full power. One question I have is what tire pressures people run up front? I followed the specs in the tire placard but I feel like the front end is a bit under inflated? let me know what you run guys!

I really need to read the manual of the car to get a handle on the features of the car but for now I quite like the refrigerated glove compartment, will come in handy for the summer months!

Fuel economy seems to be great but haven't taken it for a good long road trip yet, I will be going up to Sydney in December and looking forward to see how she goes. Enjoy the finished shots of my new ride!

Bonnet looking amazing compared to where it was when I got the car!

Thanks for reading, looking forward to learning more about the car.
  • i30

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Wow! You make me want to send you Firty for some pampering. Great first post and welcome to the forum. If we end up back in Melbourne after her 14 months in storage, we'll likely be paying you a visit! :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :welcum:

Wow!
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Welcome AutoAlchemy!  :drinks:

What a great first post, your i30 has come up absolutely amazing!  :goodjob:
Here's hoping you can give us lazy buggers some tips...

Oh, re your question on tyre pressures, I run 38psi front and rear...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :wttc:  AutoAlchemy, your car has come up lovely, will you travel to Perth to do mine :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oh, re your question on tyre pressures, I run 38psi front and rear...
There was a question? :eek:
41 all around for Firty, and were it not for a slight alignment issue with the front, I'd be on four originals at 84Mm. As it is, the rear are still the originals. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum:

As several of the others have said  :brilliant: first posting!

Lots to read on here and as you can see we are a friendly lot!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Excellent result, 36 all round
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Hyundai i30 X

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Frankston, Victoria

• My 2015 i30 X Active. And my wifes 2015 Honda Jazz
 :welcomettc: to the site.
Thanks for showing what you have done to your, i30
  • Hyundai i30 Active X

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi AutoAlchemy

:wttc:

Nice job.  :goodjob2:  36 psi all round here as well...  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Oh yeah, BTW 36psi all round
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If the I40 wasn't such a great drive, your post would make me miss the CW.

I ran 38 all round without incident, and do the same on the wife's hatch and she dosen't complaign.

How anyone can let the car get like that I do not know....Even with the kids using the Hatch daily, it dosen't look like that..... Still, I guess it allows you to get a good deal on a 'run down' car.

Oh and good to see you and Dazz have the same barber  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ozknight

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
    • Tech Mobile Pro
That's amazing. It looks like the paints still liquid.  :goodjob:
  • i30cw 2010 1.6 crdi

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It looks like the paint is still in the tin  :faint:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've looked into the ceramic nano coatings before but never got around to having it done, it's very good stuff and I always kick myself for not doing it straight after I bought the car, it certainly makes maintaining much easier and will be the next thing on my "to do car list" :)

The ceramic coating I've looked at is the Ceramic Pro :link: Ceramic Pro Car Paint Protection - Nano Shine only one applicator here in the west but Bibra Lakes is fairly close to me, what I liked about the Ceramic Pro coating is that it's guaranteed for the life of the vehicle as long as annual inspections are carried out ( if you miss and inspection it defaults to 5 years coverage ) as opposed to other ceramic nano coatings who only guarantee 2 years with no more than 20% fading in that period.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal