i30 Owners Club

Leyland P76 40th Anniversary Canberra

Doggie 1 · 10 · 10427

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Last Thursday I jumped on to a midnight flight with twelve other Leyland P76 (W.A.) club members and flew to Sydney.
Upon arrival, we caught taxis to the house of a NSW member who kindly offered to look after us (Thanks Troy). When we got there he and his wife, Julie, had cooked us a magnificent breakfast and then allowed a bunch of scruffy West Aussies to pile into various cars for the two and a half to three hour drive to Canberra.
Personally, I was lucky enough to jag the only P76 station wagon in the world as transport. What an honour.   :happydance:
The P76 station wagon was developed to prototype stage but died when Leyland closed its Australian operations. Only one wagon survived and Troy owns it. Wow, did it turn some heads!
Troy and his lovely wife drove down in their green modified P76 ute which he has done a magnificent job on and others in our group joined Troy's dad, Joe, in his orange Force 7 coupe, one of only ten in the world.
What a fantastic convoy. It was just sensational.
In Canberra we all stayed at the Lakeside Ridges Hotel which was the venue for the official P76 launch forty years ago.
Friday evening saw us at the Ainslie Football Club for a P76 informal dinner - good food and wine.  :D
Saturday it was a recreation of the original press drive forty years ago up through the Canberra hills and to a NSW country town called Gundaroo for lunch. There we met well-known motoring journalist Will Hagon who was driving a new Holden Commodore VF SS. Will was a former Leyland employee many years ago.
Saturday evening saw us attend a formal dinner at Lakeside Ridges for a three course meal served whilst entertained by the guest speakers.
Sunday was concours day on the front lawns of the Old Parliament House in Canberra.
Whilst it was wet and cold in Sydney, Canberra, although wet to begin with, turned on the good weather for us and Sunday was terrific, cool and sunny.
I've been to Canberra many times as my youngest daughter used to compete in the women's gymnastics nationals every year which were held there and this time was the warmest I've ever known Canberra to be. To the point where I left the hotel balcony door open all night. Usually, it is white outside in the morning in winter from frost and ice.
I took over 200 photos of cars whilst there and obviously can't post all of those but here are about 10% of them for your enjoyment.
As you all know, I love the Leyland P76 and it was absolutely P76 heaven for the entire weekend. This car is really enjoying a resurgence in popularity and deservedly so.

Leyland P76 Station Wagon - the only one

Leyland P76 Station Wagon - the only one

Leyland Force 7 - one of only ten in existence

Leyland Force 7 - one of only ten in existence

Beautiful Spanish Olive Executive (like mine) with the Force 7 & a "Peel Me A Grape" P76 in the background

Troy's modified P76 ute

Troy's ute at the Canberra concours

"Bold As Brass" Force 7

Two "Home On Th'Range" P76s

A beautiful "Corinthian Blue" Super six cylinder from Queensland

A "Bitter Apricot" Executive from Queensland

"Aspen Green" Targa Florio

A stretched P76

"Plum Loco" P76

Highly modified Leyland P76

"Plum Loco" P76 at the concours display in Canberra

"Hairy Lime" P76

"Crystal White" & "Spanish Olive" P76s (the same as my two)

"Bitter Apricot," "Home On Th'Range" & "Crystal White" P76s

"Home On Th'Range" Leyland Marina six cylinder coupe

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! I can see why you got excited, even brings  a tear to my eye to see that many 40 Y/O cars in that sort of condition  :mrgreen: (not to keen on the shape of that wagon though)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Have you got enough money to buy it Dazz  :question:

Probably not.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Probably Yes..  :P (but I wouldn't want to)

The Force 7 is better.. (reminds me of a Jensen Interceptor)  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interesting comment.
On the way up to Canberra we stopped in a truck bay and a guy and his (approx) 14 year old son over for a look.
The kid said that the Force 7 reminded him of a Mustang or a Jensen Interceptor.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting comment.
On the way up to Canberra we stopped in a truck bay and a guy and his (approx) 14 year old son over for a look.
The kid said that the Force 7 reminded him of a Mustang or a Jensen Interceptor.  :)
My Stepdad sold a couple of Jensens out of his dealership when I was a teenager (I can still remember them) and then I saw a couple at the last Devonport Motor Show  :razz:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Not worth a new thread ... today I saw 4 P76 cars on the road, including an orange one with a number 1 on the driver's door.   There must have been something on in Melbourne.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not worth a new thread ... today I saw 4 P76 cars on the road, including an orange one with a number 1 on the driver's door.   There must have been something on in Melbourne.
Dave will be interested to hear that!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The car with number 1 on the door is a part of a collection so maybe they had something on.
I believe that car was the second last Executive built but I may stand corrected on that.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm of a different et to Dazz,I loved the wagon and the Ute,but was not the fussed about the force seven,we had one a bloke wanted to sell on consignement come through our car yard years ago.wasn't that keen on it then either (Boy that was a lot of years ago now) we used to get a fair few Marina coupes as well,I can remeber how unpopular these cars were all those years ago,geez the amount of these cars that come through the yard was astounding,we used to knock most of them back,they were that unpopular,if I knew then what I know now I should have been storing them,instead of almost giving them away.

I will always remember what I would call a baby shit mustard six we had come into the yard,we couldn't give the damned thing away,so I drove it home one weekend and Sue had it as a drive car for months,me personally used to like driving it,I used to call it the driving lounge room
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal