i30 Owners Club

My Sunday drive

eyecon · 17 · 3747

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Here are some pics of my Holden Isuzu Piazza Impulse JR120. Sorry not a fan of the Piazza name, but I am a fan of the Guigiaro wedge shaped design and it's 80's quirkiness. Much prefer what the Americans called their cars. Anyway as some would probably be aware these cars suffered bad reviews in the handling and price departments. You can thank Holden for their wonderful inputs there, which ultimately sealed their fate in Australia. The rest of the world had HBL and Irmscher versions, which never made it here. Over time the numbers have dwindled significantly. Partly because of the Gemini owners pilfering all manner of parts for their own cars, and partly because Piazza owners found it harder and harder to keep these things on the road with dwindling parts supply. Needless to say these cars are super rare these days. For me this was all the more reason to get my self one. Anyway nuff talk. Brief specs:
Engine: Standard 2 ltr turbo motor with  heavy duty valve springs. Larger inlet manifold and TB off a Rodeo
Turbo: 'Disco Potato' GT28RS ball bearing turbo feeding to a 3" mandrel bent S.S. system
ECU: Fully optioned 3D Motec M4
Injectors: Toyota Supra 440cc
Clutch: Exedy heavy duty
Brakes: Front-larger slotted VT model Commodore discs and brakes. Rear-standard
Suspension: 3 inch lowered Kmac Springs all round with adjustable Koni shocks all round. All rubber bushes replaced with nolathane
External: HBL spec genuine Piazza rear spoiler
Front end: '88-'91 update bonnet with quad lights
Wheels: Lenzo Eagle with 215/45x16 rubber

There are plenty of other bits and pieces done and have further plans in the future. But the main thing is I sorted out it's handling deficiencies, and now handles like a go kart.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Looks good, but is the number plate meant to be an approximation of Piazza?
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
 :thanx: Yep number plate should read Piazza. It's a left over from the previous owner in NSW, which I'll have to change for ACT rego soon..

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
I f@_#)8g loved these as a kid!

80's box FTW!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks good Mate! I still remember admiring it when we met up a couple of years ago  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
what are the specs on those wheels?? im liking them alot

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hey Daz. I took these pics on the very day and just before we met with your lovely wife. You guys planning another trip?

Agent- wheels are Lenzo Eagle 16x7 with the correct +20mm offset for the Piazzas. Hard to find. The style has that retro feel I must admit. Also want the tyres to have the pinstriping maybe 1 or 2 colours to enhance that retro look, but I'm hearing they're illegal because of what they do to the sidewalls. Agent, you seem to know what you're talking about. Is there another way I could do this?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
They are perfect I reckon, vault Savannah's and the likes Do not sit well on 80's cars! And I take it they are 4x114.3 right? Would sit almost perfect on my cars too!

Just get the mobile Guy out, I've never seen anyone have a problem with white/coloured walls before! Just keep in mind it needs to be done when it fades/wears off ;-)

Look up 'barrel bros' on face book, they get some awesome 80's rims ;-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey Daz. I took these pics on the very day and just before we met with your lovely wife. You guys planning another trip?

I'm hoping to retire fully in early April next year  :Touch: (so another road trip could be on the cards after that)  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Yep. Stud pattern is correct, and totally agree vault savannahs and similar ilk wouldn't work. I'll check out the fb page, but the tyre retailers all say insurance won't cover the car because the grooves are gouged out of the side walls etc. Mind you I haven't heard of any tyre failures yet as a result of this gouging/grooving process.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
they only take off 1mm if that... just to get the smooth band!

get it done, if shit hits the fan, tow it HOME and avoid that 'insurance tow' (to the holding yard), then change rims over/tyres asap.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I'll try and get it done on the semi slicks that I want to get. I've now shared that Barrel Bros FB page so it's now on my main page for future reference. Thanks for that.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
I want these... BADLY. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=180956962094907&set=a.170180973172506.1073741826.170164649840805&type=1&theater

they would sit fantastic on my cars, granted i put an adjustable panhard rod in and stretched the tyres a little to possibly a 195/205.

they have some awesome wheels mate, just keep an eye out ;)

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I like the look of the Borbet style personally, but wouldn't a set of some of the old skool simmons look awesome on our cars eh?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
YES!! And bbs wiremesh also compliment almost anything to.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal