i30 Owners Club

What Company fuel do you use?

CarlMc · 44 · 12088

Offline CarlMc

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Taree, NSW
Several months ago my wife and I went to the NSW/Qld border for a few days. We filled up at Coles Taree and did 5.5 klms per ltr. When I pulled into the BP at Tweed, I noticed the two different prices for the diesel, so asked the attendant what's the difference? The woman replied, the Ultimate burns better and more economical, but costs 5c more. So I filled it up and drove back home, getting 4.5 klms per ltr.

This is outstanding figures for fuel consumption, what do other members get, any better than BP Ultimate, my only complaint, BP Taree does not sell Ultimate.
  • 2010 i30 diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm a petrol owner and try to use Ultimate as much as possible to keep a cleaner engine fuel system, It's hard to measure the average distance per km unless you can replicate the exact same routes and driving style but my best calculations show about a 30km per tank gain over lower rated fuels.

I also find it's better than the Caltex Vortex which has the same 98ron rating.

I wish Ultimate was only 5 cents more here in the west, more like 10-15 cents per litre here :(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:50:02 by CraigB »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think you mean 5.5 litres per 100 kms which is quite different from your original statement.

Still, that is quite a big variation. You need to be sure that the tank is "brimmed" to the top at each fill as any variation will cause a difference in calculated fuel consumption. With Diesel, it can take quite some time to achieve a brimmed tank as the fuel foams quite a bit.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I use Caltex Vortex Diesel in both of our vehicles.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Caltex Vortex or United Diesel.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
BP Ultimate always. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Caltex vortex where possible,but the station I have used for years has now gone to BP
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Caltex Vortex diesel (premium).
Followed by Shell. There is BP Diesel, but I would rather walk than put my car through the agony of running on BP muck.

(Yes, I've had bad experiences with BP diesel. My car runs rougher and is far less efficient on it).
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
And here I was thinking diesel was diesel.

Back in my old petrol donk, I used shell v-power (which is now called something else)
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Not in the ute :head_butt:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Don't have a ute, yet.  I pick it up on Friday.   :victory:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

There is a chance you might spend a bit more time filling up  :Shocked:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

There is a chance you might spend a bit more time filling up  :Shocked:

I can guarantee it!!  I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me!!  Maybe I should start using Shell?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Those fuel discounts will become more interesting....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Glenfiddich.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Glenfiddich.
That's super ultimate 150ron $40 a litre :D

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Where do you get that price for Glenfiddich? I want to shop there too

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Where do you get that price for Glenfiddich? I want to shop there too
Dan Murphys will have it on special for $42 quite often normally $51 if you get it delivered.

This one's not quite as cheap

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
98 BP ultimate here.

think its what diesel fuel do you use mate.
i have used them all and have never saw a gain in economy from just changing fuel brand or from normal to premium diesel, but i like the premium just in NSW in sydney you can drive from one side of the urban sprall to the other & set BP Ultimate Diesel same price as normal diesel selling on other side of town so think its a con job.
but they fill up faster on the premium diesel as less foaming so you might have got more fuel into your tank & thought you gained in economy. but long term testing i never saw a gain but motor seems to like it better.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I accidentally put in half a tank of Shell V-Power Nitro+ diesel the other day.  I'm not sure yet about efficiency, but the engine sure is a lot quieter now!
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I accidentally put in half a tank of Shell V-Power Nitro+ diesel the other day.  I'm not sure yet about efficiency, but the engine sure is a lot quieter now!

Phew, I had to check you didn't have a Petrol car (although probably wouldn't have killed it)  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Carltex Vortex Diesel. Always find I get my minimum 1000km out of a tank
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When in Sydney  BP ultimate Diesel, when home in the deep south coast Mobile Diesel as both $1.28.9  i can get Caltex Vortex Diesel down south for that price but need Whooly's shopping docket  & i mostly shop at ALDI or small independent not paying 4cent more for the Vortex Diesel. you can see the shopping discount con job looking at price of BP compared to Caltex or Shell then look at the food prices in Coles or Whoolys. but if the fuel is better?

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I just stick the cheapest fuel I can find mainly supermarket fuel as its the same as all the other's except for those fuels like ulitimate or v max 
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Phew, I had to check you didn't have a Petrol car (although probably wouldn't have killed it)  :sweating:

Dazz Diesel in Petrol miss fuel does not happen since unleaded fuel, as they made a smaller filler hole so people could not fill unleaded cars with Leaded super in old days.
but when cars all had larger fuel tank filler necks. miss fueling Diesel to petrol used to happen. a friend of mine did that put diesel in a petrol & stuffed his motor.

yet again i know another guy who puts a small amour of petrol into his diesel fuel tank ( mixes in with the diesel ) he claims it stops diesel Bug in tank, he does not drive that car a lot & say's when they stand around not being used a lot they get diesel bug in the fuel the small amour of petrol stops it.

On yet another note, i notice a lot of loyal Caltex Vortex Diesel users, so it would be good if everyone gives a reason for why they use the brand & type of diesel they do.

I use Mobile Diesel when i'm home in the South Coast NSW, but if i go to Canberra or Sydney where BP ultimate Diesel sold i fill with that.
but have not noticed a gain other than the motor seems smoother but it seemed smoother on Caltex vortex Diesel too. just i've never trusted supermarket discount Diesel i've always thought Caltex fuel in a non supermarket servo was different to caltex Fuel in a supermarket discount servo.

i'll ask a Caltex tanker driver i know next time i see him.
also only reason i get BP ultimate Diesel is it is $1.28.9 in Sydney & i get the Mobile Diesel for same reason as the Shell down here is $1.32 no BP ultimate Diesel in town just normal BP diesel & thats $1.29.9 , we have Matilda but as i don't know what it is i won't use it.
cheers
also i waited years for BP ultimate Diesel to come to NSW thats why i use it too, never had a bad tank of it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
John, Caltex fuel will be Caltex fuel no matter where you fill. There are a limited number of refineries in Aust, so they produce big batches at a time. I always use the "supermarket" fuel for 2 reasons.

1 You get the 4c discount, naturally we've all paid this in the supermarket food bill, but if it's on offer, you're silly not to take it.

2 The reduced price ensures high turnover which keeps the fuel fresh. Competing, non discount stations would take a long time to empty their tanks and that puts customers at risk from water & bug IMO.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
My mate is a tanker driver and I asked him about supermarket fuels and he said all the companies be it Shell, BP, Texaco and so on get the same fuel as him as long as its not the premium  ones, ie with extra additives, He said you'll find the Likes of Asda,Tesco, Morrison supermarket tankers lined up with the service station tankers all in the queue waiting to load up from the same tank.

supermarket fuel is cheaper than service stations and we also do our weekly shop at Tesco's and get on average about 6 pence off per litre on top of the low price it is already
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 00:09:24 by Johnno »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I was talking Caltex Vortex Diesel, would that be classed as a proprietary fuel, or generic, Johnno  :question:

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Phil we don't have that fuel over here, but next time I'm at the pumps I'll have a good look what it says as I've never really took much notice, each pump as 3 or 4 nozzles 2 for petrol and 2 for diesel I THINK :lol:  when I had the petrol car I just picked up the cheapest green nozzle 98 ron and now I do the same for the diesel 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal