i30 Owners Club

Chip or ECU Reprogram?

Dsbld · 16 · 5943

Poll

Whats the best way to get power and why?

ECU Reprogram
13 (76.5%)
Tuning box
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Offline Dsbld

• 2nd Gear
i've 140hp with my ECU reprogram, but i've heard good things and possibility of gettion 150hp with chiptuning and less possibilitys of getting problems, so i'm a little bit confuse, so i hope a help with this issue. Thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Would another 10hp be worth any risk of reliability or long term wear issues...?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dsbld

• 2nd Gear
no i'm thinking took of ECU reprogram and get a tuning box or leave it as he stand now, thats the reason i start this topic to see what is better

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
Have u already don the ecu remapping Coz if so u may not be able to chip it as well Coz the chip runs of the old ecu and all that stats so u would have to look into it

Offline Dsbld

• 2nd Gear
for people who allready voted i would like to have an explanation of why ecu is better or why tuningbox is better.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Since you already re-programmed (re-mapping ECU) to 140HP, the better way is to ask your original supplier for upgrade to 150HP with paying certain price, unless they have not developed  new program of 150HP yet. Or, you can turn to other supplier who has 150HP version program. For specific vehicle, within its safety limit, the supplier is supposed to do R&D of updated version for higher performance.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
for people who allready voted i would like to have an explanation of why ecu is better or why tuningbox is better.

I like the idea the tuning box can be removed for warranty or insurance purposes  :whistler:

I also like the idea the original ECU isn't being tinkered with (Just my take...) Plus some of the tuning boxes seem a lot cheaper than chipping/ecu upgrades for similar result  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
where did u get the ecu remapped and how much did it cost

Offline Dsbld

• 2nd Gear
here in Portugal in a place called Turbotec 260€ i've paid

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
260€, similar pricing in Taiwan, but a little bit cheaper.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I did ECU remap and the prices in Slovenia are approx 350-500 €. Depends on the discount and the tuners.

I just don't understand. You want to tune 2.0 CRDi from 140 hp to 150 hp? Isn't that a bit low? I mean, is it worth? Usually 140 hp are tuned to 160-170 hp. I don't know which turbo the 2.0 CRDi engine has and how much it can take, I'm just wondering why 150 hp.

Offline Dsbld

• 2nd Gear
mine is the 1.6 not the 2.0 and my final objective its to get 170hp to join drag races (legal races ofc) they started doing that in a circuite 5€ to join and possible get 500€ 1st 250€ 2nd and 100€ 3rd and another small prices for others ranks

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Oh, you would want to go from 115 -> 150 -> 170 hp.  Now I understand why you were asking about removing the speed limit (197 km/h).

But, If you plan on racing - drag, you must know that the transmission and the clutch probably wont last for long..

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
Has any one in Sydney Austria remakes there ecu and how much and where u get it done at

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Matty a better option here right now, would be to fit LPG injection, this does not mean your runing your diesel on LPG. they fit a small LPG bottle and LPG injects in with the diesel . i saw a CRDi Santafe in sydney that was useing it. do a search. they claim 20% power increase & 20% less fuel useage. but would need to ask Hyundai & insurer about insurance & warranty, but they also burn much cleaner so no problem with RTA or EPA

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pinjarra, Western Australia
LPG injection would definitely void the engine and drivetrain warranty with the extra stress that would be placed on it by the extra power and something thats not diesel being added to fuel it..As for insurance as long as the place fitting it doesnt do a dodgy job without all the approriate paperwork you shouldnt have a problem, although I'm guessing your premium would most likely go up

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal