i30 Owners Club

i30 v Corolla review

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
What a crappy review. They got the i30 warranty wrong (still unlimited kms as far as I know) and since when has the Corolla had better seats than the i30! The i30 interior is light years ahead of the corolla.  :evil:

:link: Hyundai i30 and Toyota Corolla go head to head
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, I can't say I agree with a lot of the stuff they say in that report about either car.
If, as you say, they've got the Hyundai warranty wrong, that's a massive screw up.
Here's the latest from their website. Not that there was any doubt.  :disapp:

Warranty - Hyundai Motor Company Australia
www.hyundai.com.au › Owners › iCare
Warranty. Five-year unlimited kilometre warranty. At Hyundai, our focus is on building vehicles that match the way our customers live their lives, and to underpin ...

As some of you would know our household has one of each. Admittedly the previous model in each case but there's really very little difference in comparison.
So, my 2009 i30 and my wife's 2012 Corolla................
A couple of observations. The Corolla (auto) is more fuel conscious than my 130 (manual), even with me driving in each case.
The Corolla is noticeably quieter on the road. I'm talking suspension noise here, not tyre noise. The previous Corolla ( a sedan - 2005) was just as quiet  as the current one so it's not an age thing.
The i30 is more fun to drive, points better in and through the corners.
The difference in the boot size is (as they say) massive. I'm not sure why but one day I "might" sit down with a tape measure - if I can be bothered.  :p

I know Dazz has previously commented about the Corolla being less comfortable seating wise than the 130 but I honestly can't notice much difference, even on longer trips. I did in the previous Corolla but this one seems to be better.

My 2c worth.  :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I drove Dazz's rental Corolla last time he was here and within a kilometre my back was sore.
It just didn't do it for me.
And having just "borrowed" a new VW Golf 1.4 petrol 7 speed auto for a few days, I was still happy to get back into my i30.
The Golf was considerably quieter in the cabin, although there was a fair amount of noise in the rear luggage area.
The steering was better (no surprise there), but every time I took off from a standstill there was a huge torque hole just off idle, so it would set off, then die, then pick up again. Every time, without fail.
Cabin-wise rather similar, plastics of similar quality, but the i30 (GD) appears more modern inside IMO.
And at only 6,000 kms there were rattles in both front doors of the Golf.
Then of course there's the diesel.   :evil:
I haven't driven a VW diesel so can't comment on that.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I drove Dazz's rental Corolla last time he was here and within a kilometre my back was sore.

The Golf was considerably quieter in the cabin, although there was a fair amount of noise in the rear luggage area.
Dazz made you ride in the boot?  :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Terrible review! The base model i30 doesnt have climate control either! This bloke has no idea!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal