i30 Owners Club

tyre wear

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's funny, sending a message that you can't send a message.  :rofl:

We got your explanation about being unable to reply, so I guess you can reply now.  :mrgreen:
:P :P
I tried to answer the post with three different versions of text. Each time I got the white screen warning (if you haven't seen it yet, you will one day).
So i changed the words around but the only one which it let me send through was the one above. :mrgreen:

I was hoping that crdi owners with high mileage will see this and give us some feedbak.
I also made the point that, the only way to address this is to monitor the tyre wear reagularly from the time they are fitted. That's time consuming but an interesting exercise.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^

Wow. It let me through.
I have no idea what combination of words I used before which were classed as "spam" but obviously I eventually got an acceptable variation.  :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've had 3 goes at replying to this but I keep getting the error message...

While we're here... avoid using the word "select" or derivatives like selection, selected etc as you'll more than likely get hit.

(quote my post to see how I get round this problem. I got hit during the week but only sent the text once (it was in a PM) so I knew I had to adjust the content)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Is there anyone with a crdi that's done reasonable km that does not have the tyre wear issues or is this turning out to be one of the possible inherent problems with the crdi like the headlight blowing issues.

My 2008 CRDi did about 70 000 km on the original Hankooks and the wear on them was fairly even.
I replaced them with Pirelli P7 tyres and, with the odometer now reading just over 100 000 km, they
seem to have been a good selection as they are wearing very well and very evenly.

Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

My 2008 CRDi did about 70 000 km on the original Hankooks and the wear on them was fairly even.
I replaced them with Pirelli P7 tyres and, with the odometer now reading just over 100 000 km, they
seem to have been a good selection as they are wearing very well and very evenly.

Russ

Great to hear. At least I can keep my fingers crossed mine is the same.

I purposely bought the i30 late within its life cycle in the hope that bugs would be sorted out. It's disconcerting reading about things such as the headlight blowing in the crdi 3 years after the model was introduced in 2011 models. It kind of suggests they still don't know what the cause is. I hope this tyre wear thing is not the same.

For the car to the wearing the inner shoulder of tyres and for hyundai to say there is nothing wrong with the alignment  makes me worry.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've had 3 goes at replying to this but I keep getting the error message...

While we're here... avoid using the word "select" or derivatives like selection, selected etc as you'll more than likely get hit.

(quote my post to see how I get round this problem. I got hit during the week but only sent the text once (it was in a PM) so I knew I had to adjust the content)
Thanks for that info Steve.
"Quoting" your post doesn't show anything different on the word select, though.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

It's a wonder you got away with that one ... Steve used bold within THE word to get around it if you have a look when you quote him.. :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

It's a wonder you got away with that one ... Steve used bold within THE word to get around it if you have a look when you quote him.. :winker:

Dazz,
I know that trick. It is used regularly to get around swear filters.
But when I "quoted" Steve, it didn''t (and doesn't) show up the way it does on other sites. And when I tried to bold in th emiddle of the word it didn't show up as there either.
Anyway, as you say. Lucky to get away with it I guess.
But I still don't know why the "bold" isn't showing up.
This is what I expected to see.
crap

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Dazz,
I know that trick. It is used regularly to get around swear filters.
But when I "quoted" Steve, it didn''t (and doesn't) show up the way it does on other sites. And when I tried to bold in th emiddle of the word it didn't show up as there either.
Anyway, as you say. Lucky to get away with it I guess.
But I still don't know why the "bold" isn't showing up.
This is what I expected to see.
crap

Well, that didn't work either. 
I give up. I'm cutting and pasting - doen't work. I'm entering the square brackets with the keyboard and they still don't show up.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is real strange Trev when I quote steve then went in to add to the reply it was there as plain as day  :confused:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That is real strange Trev when I quote steve then went in to add to the reply it was there as plain as day  :confused:
I though BBCode might be turned off but I can't even find where to check.
Let me try some things
sqare opening bracket [
square closing bracket  ]
lower case "b"    b
Forward slash   /

Just previewed - they're all there.

Now if I combine them like this

noo result - I just entered them, key stroke by key stroke in the "bolding" sequence and they don't show up.

Anyway, we're off topic here. Sorry.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My diesel did 68,000 kms on first set of Kumhos, no problem, but the second set started to wear prematurely on the front. The rears were still looking like new.
Tyres were rotated, have now done 106,000 kms, still the front wearing the insides, rear ok.
Tyre place suggested the weight of the diesel engine as front suspension became worn as likely cause but nothing proven.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My diesel did 68,000 kms on first set of Kumhos, no problem, but the second set started to wear prematurely on the front. The rears were still looking like new.
Tyres were rotated, have now done 106,000 kms, still the front wearing the insides, rear ok.
Tyre place suggested the weight of the diesel engine as front suspension became worn as likely cause but nothing proven.

I wonder how other car makers manage to deal with this situation?

Is it restricted to diesel? Other cars' suspensions must also get worn but the past few I've had (albeit petrol) have not worn out the 2nd set of tyres differently to the first.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I wonder how other car makers manage to deal with this situation?

Is it restricted to diesel? Other cars' suspensions must also get worn but the past few I've had (albeit petrol) have not worn out the 2nd set of tyres differently to the first.

Fair comment.
Let's be honest about it, 100,000 klms ain't much really in this day and age.
The bushes might get a bit soft but that will allow a minimal amount of movement not the fairly big slip to cause a toe out or negative camber problem.
The shocks might get a bit softer (at 100,000 klm they are getting towards the end of their most effective life - but are probably good for another 100k unless they develop leaks.
And th esprings might droop a little bit but surely someone could check the ride height to establish this. A combination of all three in my opinion might cause excess tyre wear compared to the first set but it would generally be even across the tread face. And in my experience, only worth about 10 or 15% difference in mileage.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But Trev, what other explanation could there be?.. It seems to be the front of the diesel that we are getting feedback on (mainly) with this issue...I wouldn't call it a major problem yet but still a bit of a worry. :confused:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But Trev, what other explanation could there be?.. It seems to be the front of the diesel that we are getting feedback on (mainly) with this issue...I wouldn't call it a major problem yet but still a bit of a worry. :confused:
Got me. :undecided: I'm following this with interest. Anything I've posted above is really just thinking out loud.
However, if they are wearing unevely, there has to be a reason which should be fairly obvious to an experienced wheel aligner, with the car in front of him. I should add that I'm no longer an experienced wheel aligner (if I ever was  :-[ )but the process of diagnosis is, or should be fairly straightforward.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I might have to start a thread at some time inviting those few with the problem to post their experiences and we can do some brainstorming... :confused:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I might have to start a thread at some time inviting those few with the problem to post their experiences and we can do some brainstorming... :confused:

Good idea.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Can I ask if higher tyre pressures eg 38 psi could contribute to increased suspension wear and eventually lead to what we are discussing here.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee Con.. I would be surprised if Trev thinks that could be a contributing factor  :eek:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Can I ask if higher tyre pressures eg 38 psi could contribute to increased suspension wear and eventually lead to what we are discussing here.
Fair question given some of the discussions which have been going on here. All I can say is, I've never seen any evidence of it in other cars. And whilst we might agree that the diesel i30 engine puts undue stress on the front suspension, I would be prepared to bet that the weight versus suspension strength of the i30 has been replicated in the past without causing any issues.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
We are only talking a difference in weight of 30-40kg here, depending on the model....  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Great idea
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
here's a little trick to try when getting a wheel alignment done.  :idea: if your getting a 4 wheel alignment ,make sure you have a full tank of fuel. if its done with an almost empty tank your going to have a massive amount of toe out when you fill up your tank next,hence the scrubbing out the inside edges of your rear tyres.  :winker:  whats your thoughts on this Trev?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
here's a little trick to try when getting a wheel alignment done.  :idea: if your getting a 4 wheel alignment ,make sure you have a full tank of fuel. if its done with an almost empty tank your going to have a massive amount of toe out when you fill up your tank next,hence the scrubbing out the inside edges of your rear tyres.  :winker:  whats your thoughts on this Trev?

I've commented somewhere about how important it is particularly with tradies to align the vehicle with the "usual" amount of weight it carries.
haven't thought about this before but now that you mention it, maybe do the alignment with a half tank, so there would be as little change as possible between full and empty. If that makes sense?
Or align it with a full tank and don't let it get below half before you re-fill.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Just changed from winter to summertyres. The wintertyres on the rear axle did not look great.

Now I'm not so happy. Ok, the tyres wasn't new when I mounted them, but they were not blank on the shoulder, or near blank, I have done about 9000 km on the wintertyres. The wear you can see is on the inner shoulder.

I did have a 4 wheel alignment test when I bought the car 12 month ago, and the rear camber is out of spec. According to Hyundai camber is not adjustable on rear axle, so I wanted to see how things went on.

I do about 25-27.000 km a year. Approx 15.000 of them is with 4 people in the car, when going for work, another 5.000 is with caravan.

Spec is - 1º  39' --> - 0º 39' but as you can see they are - 1º 54' and - 1º 55'  ( red in the middle of the pic )

Did any of you guys have any luck to adjust camber on rear axle to factory settings after buying some of those adjustable rods or excentric bolts... :question:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^
I'll let the guys who have fitted those adjustment reply in due course but I just have one observation here.

There's a possibility that having 4 people in the car as much as you do, plus towing the 'van may have contributed to that wear. I know the car is capabl eof doing both those things but I suspect (only "suspect") that the designers take into account the most common useage of a vehicle when designing it. Hence, a car like the i30 is probably expected to be a 1 or 2 person car for the majority of the time and towing would probably be expected to be less than in your case.
So, spring rates, shockabsorber settings, camber settings etc. would be designed for optimum results with mostly 2 people in the car.
All of this is why there is such an industry built up around modifying suspension for caravanners etc.
Essentially, your car is going to spend a lot more time at the bottom end of its rear suspension travel where the settings will be slightly different.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think you're partly right.

Towing caravan is not done with the wintertyres, and the summertyres just mounted, has even wear all 4. (12.000 km since new)

The way the rear suspension is designed I guess the negative camber will increase when putting load in the car.

Maybe I should see if I could have the car adjusted with the load of 4 persons in it.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think you're partly right.

Towing caravan is not done with the wintertyres, and the summertyres just mounted, has even wear all 4. (12.000 km since new)

The way the rear suspension is designed I guess the negative camber will increase when putting load in the car.

Maybe I should see if I could have the car adjusted with the load of 4 persons in it.. :question:
Yep maybe so.
You just need a good aligner who understands what you are trying to achieve, tyre wear wise.
But if the summer tyres are wearing OK, maybe you should leave it. Can you post a pic on here of them (the rears)?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal