i30 Owners Club

Gob smacked

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle, United Kingdom
Over the past week i have managed to accumulate 800 miles on my car, Quite a good run in for a new car and was needed.

In my first 2 days of owning the new i30 diesel auto i noticed that normal driving was achieving figures around 44mpg but i noticed when i was really trying to drive economically i wasn't getting much more, 46ish to be exact.

Saturday i decided i was bored and booked a B&B near alton towers theme park, we set off an hour later and the entire way there was done at 70. Average MPG for the journey was a shocking 42. I was mortified. Sunday morning comes around and its time for the 30 minute drive to alton towers, mainly 60mph B roads and the mpg floated around the 45 mark.

No heres the fun part, after our day at alton towers it was time for the drive home, i reset my average and within about 15 minutes of joining the motorway the weather took a turn for the worst, the rain was so heavy my wipers could barely keep up and the spray of other vehicles made it almost impossible to see in front of you. I decided it would be safest to pull into the inside lane and drop my speed to 60, at this point i was not focussing on MPG but staying safe and 30 minutes later as the rain let off abit i noticed my MPG to be sat at 68mpg, thinking this couldnt be right i decided to do 60 for the entire journey home. The average was climbing and climbing and settled on 71.8 mpg which i couldn't believe.

Now, 2 days later i was due to go to Gainsborough spend a couple nights with friends and come home again which i knew was another good long journey so heres what i did, i emptied my tank as low as i could, leaving myself with less than a gallon. On the morning of the journey i filled the tank i got in 48 litres, i then reset the average mpg counter and set off.

The entire way there i stuck to 60mph on the inside lane, occasionally using downhill momentum to climb to 70 and overtake a lorry. Not only was this far more relaxing it only added around 30 minutes to my journey. When i arrived at my destination 140 miles later, The average mpg was sitting on 76.

Now for the drive home, i decided to reset the meter again and sit at 70 the entire way, never going over and not really slowing down, Average MPG was 56, now i know its a new engine and its OBVIOUSLY loosening up to shift from 42 mpg to 56mpg at 70mph but the difference in fuel usage between 60mph and 70mph is shocking, If you allow yourself some extra time for your journey you could save a fortune.

I travel to Gainsborough around once a month sometimes twice a month and i will 100% be doing 60mph mainly from now on if time allows. In the auto especially the saving is huge.

I took a few pics before setting off and on arrival etc ill add them soon.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's crazy.. I guess time will tell if that is always going to be the case.. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great feedback.
I notice a marked improvement in mine though I have to say if I drop to 100 km/h. It just seems to be in its "zone" at that speed, although it's quite happy to travel faster.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I Agree DB the new i30 will gladly cruise at higher speeds but its more refined, quieter and far more economical at 60mph, I guess the same could be said for any car really.

Ill report back on this again in around a months time when i travel to Gainsborough again.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My motorway travel (80'ish miles per working day) is mostly done at 65-67 mph, and I get a consistent 62 mpg

:moved: to Economy section
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well the engine's still settling in, I wonder if DPF is involved at all.

I don't have one, but a graph of wind resistance vs speed may explain things. About 50 MPH is the theoretical optimum economy speed, but no one travels that slow in reality.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Well the engine's still settling in, I wonder if DPF is involved at all.

I don't have one, but a graph of wind resistance vs speed may explain things. About 50 MPH is the theoretical optimum economy speed, but no one travels that slow in reality.  :neutral:

Unless in the city  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you want to get a speeding fine, that's MPH  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On my new i30 I have the instant MPG readout showing all the time.

It is a white bar which goes from 0 to 50 mpg.

I tend to notice it in the mid 40 mark and nearly always up to the 50 max.

By having this showing, rather than other readouts, it does tend to focus the mind on the MPG even during urban driving.

Since new I'm averaging 37 MPG so I'm happy with that given I'm only doing short trips around town.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
37 is low but yours is a petrol right? Yeah i find it weird that the bar goes to 50mpg when the cars meant to do 58 combined  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
37 is low but yours is a petrol right? Yeah i find it weird that the bar goes to 50mpg when the cars meant to do 58 combined  :rofl:

Yeah a bad oversight on Hyundai's part  :rolleyes:  AlanHo did a heap of research and testing of the new model before he got his and this really niggled him (and rightly so)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Yes petrol

Only got 751 miles on the ode so still bedding in.

Going on a few longish trips soon so will get a better idea of true mpg

From HY UK web site:

Model 1.4 100PS 6 Speed Manual 

Urban mpg (l/100km) 35.8 (7.9)
Extra urban mpg (l/100km) 57.6 (4.9)
Combined mpg (l/100km) 47.1 (6.0)

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
The diesel is

Urban is 39.2 mpg
Extra Urban 62.5
Combined 51.4

I prefer the old "live MPG" reading which could go up to 99.9 MPG tbh, this new sliding bar is a pain.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I prefer the old "live MPG" reading which could go up to 99.9 MPG tbh, this new sliding bar is a pain.

It is as it only shows upto 50 mpg.

I wonder if that is so the claims made by the manufacturer can't be challenged.
It would be better if it was say up to 100. 

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I agree completely. I don't know about that because the average MPG shows up to 99.9 so you could easily see if your combined was stupidly low compared to quoted figures.

If you want to know EXACTLY what your getting then you can always reset average on the motorway or something and have a look after 30 mins or so, i think this is better than the live reading as it changes alot. Average for me provides a better way of knowing what you're burning.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal