i30 Owners Club

tyre wear

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
 :blubber:
greetings all ,

does any one know where to buy adjustable track rods for the rear suspension in Australia ?

my i30 sx crdi 2010 model, stock, is scalloping rear tyres due to the camber angles
tyres replaced at 28000 km/s excessive wear on inside edge even after 2 dealer wheel alignments with settings to Hyundai factory specs

cheers noel 

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally, I would be demanding Hyundai fix the problem and at least do a pro rata on the tyres.....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Noel ...Sorry to hear about your tyre issue .. Unfortunately, I cant help with your query. :-[

It is a stange one because there have been a few recent report of excessive (uneven) tyre wear particularly on the diesel but I thought it was more the fronts (related maybe to the extra engine weight effecting the front suspension)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome noel.  :razz:  the adjustable arms you asked about can be purchased from a company here in Australia called ultra racing.  :cool: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
Welcome Noel ...Sorry to hear about your tyre issue .. Unfortunately, I cant help with your query. :-[

It is a stange one because there have been a few recent report of excessive (uneven) tyre wear particularly on the diesel but I thought it was more the fronts (related maybe to the extra engine weight effecting the front suspension)  :undecided:

thanks to everyone for the responses
for those who can understand what all these numbers mean, the alignment readings before tyre company alignment
front toe L -0.1mm R -1.4mm camber L -00 49' R +00 26'  steering pulling left
rear toe L +0.4mm R +0.0mm camber L -01 51' R -01 38'
note these readings were apparently with in factory spec all 4 tyres had scalloping on the inside at 28000 km, the tyres were not sitting flat on the road the weight was on the inside, the vehicle became noisy to drive sounded like a hilux with chunky off road tyres
after tyre company alignment 
front toe L+0.2mm R+0.2mm camber L-01 04' R-00 04' steering dead straight
rear toe L+1.0mm R+1.0mm camber L-01 07' R-01 10'
set back +00 29'
track diference 00 17'
tyre co fella reckons the camber front left is out of spec and not adjustable the rear is in spec but an overkill for the weight of the car, camber adjustments would be an advantage thus why i am seeking adjustable trailing rods for rear. have not been able to find any information on a mod for the front apart from an article on converting the suspension of an i30 crdi for use as a rally car they increased the clearance height of the car by 11/2 inches changed the shock tower assembly and springs this altered the pre set front camber.

cheers noel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
have a look on the pedders suspension site noel. there are eccentric bolts that get put in the strut where it bolts to the steering  knuckle that will give you adjustable camber.  :goodjob:

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
went up to pedders
15mm eccentric bolts in the bottom of the front struts should do the trick $150
put them on order, go back next week
cheers noel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

went up to pedders
15mm eccentric bolts in the bottom of the front struts should do the trick $150
put them on order, go back next week
cheers noel

Expensive bolts  :wacko:

Offline LilAbner

• 1st Gear
All,
Evidently this is a prevalent issue for the I30.  BUT, I discovered Shark Racing
offers a sweet set of adjustable rear trailing arms.  I found them in a hurry after being advised of the issue in my Touring (I30) here in the U.S.  They were shipped out of Korea and arrived quickly, shipping included. The link is:

http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=trailingarm_1&cate=011900000

Hope this helps!  Give me a holler if the link doesn't work for you.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome to the club and thanks for the link.. :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob2: :razz:

Offline sheepman

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Peebles
just noticed post on tyre wear my 2ltre diesil crdi has only done about 12,000 miles on a set of kumho fronts wear on inside and a bit of life left yet but changed them anyway before winter this is a bit excessive ,aggressive driving does not help but rears are still origional with plenty tread left at 33,000 miles
  • 2 litre diesil crdi premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All,
Evidently this is a prevalent issue for the I30.  BUT, I discovered Shark Racing
offers a sweet set of adjustable rear trailing arms.  I found them in a hurry after being advised of the issue in my Touring (I30) here in the U.S.  They were shipped out of Korea and arrived quickly, shipping included. The link is:

Just revisiting this thread it is interesting that the 2.0 touring in the USA has a similar issue..

Looks like there may be two issues as others seem to suspect the weight of the diesel engine may cause  sagging in the front suspension leading to premature front tryre wear when the mileage gets up a bit  :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
remember to rotate the tyres at 5000 kms can help.  :idea:

Offline i30RWAB

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Coastal New Jersey
I'll second the notion that the 2.0 Petrol has at least a similar issue. The front tires seem to have no issues, the rear however are another story. I have noticed that the inside edges of the rear tires had been worn away slightly faster than the rest of the tires. Even though it's just the outside edge it's still just as bad. Once those shoulder treads are gone I'm going to need new tires. No sense having tread for going straight but not around corners. I've already mentioned something to my local Hyundai service rep. I was assured there are no alignment/suspensin problems on the car.  :whistler: Typical. Now that I know others are having the problem, I'm going to keep a close eye on my treadwear, and a closer eye on my Hyundai dealership.  :twisted:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I don't know, but I would have the wheel geometry checked in cases like that - by someone else. When I bought Accent, the geometry was off (from day 1) and similar with the Santa Fe. They might say it's okay, but obviously it's not?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
i30RWAB, just refresh my memory. How many klms has your car done since new?
Are they the original tyres?
Do you know FOR CERTAIN they have not been rotated front to rear? Because if they have, the alignment problem causing the uneven wear is at the front.
Have you had an independent alignment check since your accident? If something isn't right from that, it wouldn't take long to wreck the tyres.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazzler,

You say it is an issue for high km cars, but all the cars in this post seem to have low k's

I have done 43k in my CW and the only issue with my tyres is that they are running out of tread.

Will be interesting to see what happens once I double that though.

Would be a shame if it does start to chew the tyres.....but I don't think I have heard any of the +100k people mention it (though my memory may be failing me)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Dazzler,

You say it is an issue for high km cars, but all the cars in this post seem to have low k's

I have done 43k in my CW and the only issue with my tyres is that they are running out of tread.

Will be interesting to see what happens once I double that though.

Would be a shame if it does start to chew the tyres.....but I don't think I have heard any of the +100k people mention it (though my memory may be failing me)

Beerman and dazzler,

It's not uncommon for vehicles with a few k's on them to end up wearing tyres unevenly due to the fact that often the cars aren't checked for alignment with any regularity. It's a simple process to check and adjust the front and rear alignment but most don't do it. Or they depend on the dealer to do it.
I know for sure that many (not all ) car dealers subby out their alignments even though they often have the equipment themselves. And if you are doing a "Trade" alignment, it's not always going to have as much attention paid to it as to one where you are going to eyeball the driver when he/she picks it up.

Also, communication breaks down with an extra link in the chain.  We were involved in one a while back on a Nissan X-Trail which had "issues". We told the owner about it and as she lived up here (we were working on it in Brisbane), she took it back to her local Nissan dealer. There was a problem which really went back to the factory. Anyway, the Nissan dealer subby'd it out to the Beaurepaires over the road then told her everything was OK and obviously we didn't know what we were doing.
When I got onto the Beauepaires manager he showed me the job card with its large notes back to the Nissan dealer explaining what was wrong and it was not adjustable and had no doubt caome from the factory like that.
Luckily in this case we were dealing with an efficient wheel aligner who kept proper records and was happy to discuss it with me.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
and a bloke who cares enough to follow up.....which is rare these days

Offline i30RWAB

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Coastal New Jersey
Surferdude,

Sorry for the long wait, but things have been a little crazy for me. I bought the car with 14,400 miles on it. Now it has almost 27,000. We bought the car in May of this year. Right after the accident the alignment was checked and found to be way out, so all tires were rotated and the alignment was performed. I got a chance to look at the spec sheet afterwards and was pleased with the numbers there. Everything was reported to be in the "acceptable" parameters established by Hyundai. Since the alignment I have been keeping tabs on my tires and have found that the rear tires continue to degrade on the inner shoulder only. The alignment was done by Hyundai at the request of the body shop which fixed the car. It just happened to be next to the dealership :P I think perhaps it's simply time to cal the insurance company AGAIN, and let them know that the car still isn't right. Also the tires on the car when purchased were the original units and they showed almost no wear. Undoubtedly the accident has affected something which has not been repaired or correctly addressed. But I'm still stuck on the point that Hyundai tells me all wheels are aligned within their specifications, yet my tires still suffer.  :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:blubber:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude,

Sorry for the long wait, but things have been a little crazy for me. I bought the car with 14,400 miles on it. Now it has almost 27,000. We bought the car in May of this year. Right after the accident the alignment was checked and found to be way out, so all tires were rotated and the alignment was performed. I got a chance to look at the spec sheet afterwards and was pleased with the numbers there. Everything was reported to be in the "acceptable" parameters established by Hyundai. Since the alignment I have been keeping tabs on my tires and have found that the rear tires continue to degrade on the inner shoulder only. The alignment was done by Hyundai at the request of the body shop which fixed the car. It just happened to be next to the dealership :P I think perhaps it's simply time to cal the insurance company AGAIN, and let them know that the car still isn't right. Also the tires on the car when purchased were the original units and they showed almost no wear. Undoubtedly the accident has affected something which has not been repaired or correctly addressed. But I'm still stuck on the point that Hyundai tells me all wheels are aligned within their specifications, yet my tires still suffer.  :faint:
OK. I think you probably should try to find a reputable independent aligner and pay for an alignment check and get the printout. If it's correct, at least you know the Hyundai/repairer was right.
If it's not, you have something to go on.
One other thing. How much weight of your cleaning materials do you carry in the back? Is it possible they are having an effect on how the car is sitting at the back? Don't reject this one out of hand just because the tyres appeared to be wearing OK beofre the accident. It is possible they were doing it all along but the wear only becomes apparent to the casual observer when it gets close to the indicators.

Offline i30RWAB

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Coastal New Jersey
Surferdude,

Before we began using the car for work we removed the rear seat. This assembly probably weighed about 75 pounds or so. The combined weight of what we carry is probably close to 200 pounds. This shouldn't have a negative affect on the tires, at least I hope!!

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude,

Before we began using the car for work we removed the rear seat. This assembly probably weighed about 75 pounds or so. The combined weight of what we carry is probably close to 200 pounds. This shouldn't have a negative affect on the tires, at least I hope!!
True. I'd forgotten you took the rear seat out. I agree it shouldn't have an effect, however I'd still get an independent alignment check - preferably with your work gear in place. We often do that with tradesmen's vehicles. They'll unload them and come in for an alignment but we ask them to load it up as it will be for most of the week and make the settings accordingly.

Offline i30RWAB

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Coastal New Jersey
You make great sense. In the long run I suppose it would be worth the fifty dollars to get it checked out. That's still a lot less than two new shoes! Thanks for all of your insights, much obliged!!  :)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is there anyone with a crdi that's done reasonable km that does not have the tyre wear issues or is this turning out to be one of the possible inherent problems with the crdi like the headlight blowing issues.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've had 3 goes at replying to this but I keep getting the error message. I guess because I've changed the content each time I haven't been locked ou (yet).
But I'll come back to it later and try another text version
 :twisted: :evil:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's funny, sending a message that you can't send a message.  :rofl:

We got your explanation about being unable to reply, so I guess you can reply now.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal