i30 Owners Club

Terrible Review - Is it justified?

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
This car was 17 years old when he bought it - do you think he is unreasonable?
Note also it wasn't driven above 35 miles an hour for 17 years, now he is trying to race modern cars at traffic lights!

This car is a disgrace, it doesn't belong on the road"
What things have gone wrong with the car?
Fuel Pump went at 33,500.

Heater Core went at 34,500.

Cap and Rotor needed replacing at 33,000.

Ignition module needed replacing at 33,200 ($160)

Spark Plugs weren't even matched!!!

Exhaust has rusted out entirely ($400 to fix)

Passenger front window won't go down or up.

Passenger rear door won't open.

Car stalls when pulling onto main roads.

Car pulls forward when braking, almost as if the calipers are hanging up.

General comments?
This car sucks. I got it for free from my Grandpa (so I won't complain about the price) who got it from his mom, my Great Grandmother, who bought it new in 1988. It had 32 thousand or so miles on it when I got it and had been driven about 3 times a week, never above 35 miles an hour. I learned to drive in this car, so it was fine until I got my licence, now, I'm realizing how much of a piece of crap this car truly was. I drive it everyday, 250 miles a week, the gas mileage is great, 260 miles to a tank, $25 fills it up. Other than that, the car is a disgrace. It does not belong on the road. With only 68 horsepower, it gets blown off the road by everything around it. I haven't been able to beat a car off of a stop light yet. It takes so long to get to 60 mph, not to mention the fact that you have to let it warm up for 5 minutes before you can drive it anywhere.

The seats are comfortable though, but I'm 6' tall and the driver's seat is all the way back and I barely fit in it.

The wind noise is unbearable when driving, even at 40, and the front end shakes at 45 and doesn't stop.

The only possibly good thing about this car is the price. I got it for nothing but sank about $600 into it. I'll probably never get that money back.

I recommend that anyone who needs a first car or a commuter, never buys a Hyundai Excel, at least one that sat for most of it's life at a retirement home.

I'm looking for another car now, one that has heat and doesn't stall when I pull out onto a main road.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee that is a bit harsh  :shock:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
woah...very harsh actually...ive driven about 3 hyundai excels..but they were all 90s model and late 90s i think...88 would be pushing it a bit, and getting a car for free alone is a pretty big thing! to tell the truth, if this person has just got his licence and expects to be flooring at all the signal lights, maybe he deserves to get a car that stalls when he tries to show off..and stalling the car means that this kid just hasnt got enough practise with a manual...

very harsh...and i loved the excels! just would keep going...all of ours were without power steering but one had a loose steering column...now that was an experience i wont forget....

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
And I wonder what he got paid for that review?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Typical Gen-Y turd who wants everything right now for no work or outlay.  Spoilt little brat.

Offline donc

• 3rd Gear
That's not a review, it's just a dummy spit. Sad he doesn't seem even a bit grateful to the people who gave him the car.

bez10y
Quote from: "LuciferDarklord"
Typical Gen-Y turd who wants everything right now for no work or outlay.  Spoilt little brat.
/agreed.

So glad I'm a Gen-X'r ;)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I convinced that some reviewers do not actually drive the cars they review.  They look at other reviews and then change a few words to creat their own story.

Depending on the badge they will say one thing or another.  All reviews about BMW's always seen to say the car is brill, good etc etc no faults etc etc.
But take a Skoda, which is VW, and you get badge snobery.

I remember a motoring programme and they covered the badges on, I think, 5 possible popular fleet buy cars for Reps.
A panel of fleet buyers were asked for their opinion.  Guess what came out top.
No not the BMW or VW or Ford but a Skoda, can't remember the model but might have been the Fabio.
But as soon as the badge was revealed it became last!!!

If that's not badge snobery what is!!!!!!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
I can't say that I have driven many Excels, but check out this photo. Two of my mates drove this car to 1st and 2nd place in the khanacross rally championship this year! It is a standard Excel they bought from the auction, they stripped all the unnecessary bits to minimize weight and put a set of used rally tyres on it. They had no major troubles with the car during the year and the car was almost unbeatable on most events. I managed to beat them once in my 4WD Mazda 323 turbo, but it was not an easy job!

So any bad words about Excels must come from people who either can't drive them or can't maintain them properly!

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Being a Gen Y'er myself I beg to differ.

His just an ungrateful little **** who can't ****ing drive.

In case you can't tell I don't like being stereotyped, just like what others said about the badge snobbery, Ageism is alive and well.

I don't deny that I might exhibit some of the traits that other Generations look down upon, but that doesn't mean you can judge me just like that!

Well now that little rant's over we'll return you to your normal programming.  :D  LOL

Regards

Daniel

P.S. Although I'm non religious the Hebrew meaning of Daniel is 'God is my judge' but don't take what I've said to seriously.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I tell you what Razy, She doesnt look much but if you say it won Rallys, I wont argue.
No but realy, they were a great little car though. People tend to pre judge the excel and unfairly label them a throw away car. Funny thing is, look around, there everwhere. Nobody is throwing them away, they just keep on going and are still highly sort after as a first car or as a run around vehicle.

Offline redi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I don't like Excels and probably would have no reason to buy one but having said that I know an RACV service guy that swears by them and he should know he gets called out to get cars going every day. He also told me to never buy and Holden Astra...nothing but trouble he says.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
my sister had an 98' Accent (Excel) and it worked all the time, it got great care from previous owners, a great a-b car.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal