Invite to Hyundai i30 Driving Experience - 24th February

AlanHo · 24 · 6571

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My wife and I have been invited to attend a Hyundai function at Silverstone Racing Circuit on Friday 24th February to show the new i30 to invited guests prior to its official launch.
I am not a VIP - I suspect the invitation resulted from me registering an interest in the new car on their web site a couple of months ago.

We will be given a full presentation of the car and will then drive the various models on the circuit. Hyundai sales and technical staff will be there to answer questions.

Some aspects I will be investigating that are not covered by the brochure or road tests published to date are :-

*  Cabin noise - I will take my decibel meter with me to measure cabin noise levels

*  My current i30 has an auto dipping rear view mirror. I cannot see one listed in the new brochure.

*  The top of the range version has a sat-nav and rear view camera. I want to know the cost and frequency of map updates, what countries are covered, whether speed cameras are included.

*  Is the trip computer more featured than the current one? I would like to see two trip settings for distance and fuel economy so I can check results for each tank separate from a particular trip.

*  Do the rear seats now fold down flat and level with the boot floor

*  Are cruise controls user friendly

*  Is an adjustable height front passenger seat available

*  Which version gets which front grill - I have seen at least 4 variants on photos on the internet

*  What colour suits the car best - I hope they have the full colour range on view

*  The panoramic roof is not yet detailed in the brochure or price list - is it available or not?

*  What other options and accessories are available at launch?

Does anyone here have any other questions (that have not been answered by information currently available in the brochure or published road tests) that I can investigate during the visit?

I will of course be posting back here my impressions of the new car - and maybe some pics.

PS

Are there any other UK forum members who are going - it would be nice to say hello.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:32:54 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good post Alan.

The top of the range version has a sat-nav and rear view camera. I want to know the cost and frequency of map updates, what countries are covered, whether speed cameras are included.
Does anyone here have any other questions

Would you be so good as to ask if their satnav accepts full UK postcodes now? From the HOCGB forum I gather the new Santa Fe has a 4 character (max) prefix input, due in part to the failure of Hyundai to subscribe to Royal Mails postcode licensing system.

I'd love to be there.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My wife and I have been invited to attend a Hyundai function at Silverstone Racing Circuit on Friday 27th February to show the new i30 to invited guests prior to its official launch.
Alan, I REALLY hate to do this but..........Feb 27th this year is a Monday. :whistler:

I only know 'coz it's my birthday. :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan, I REALLY hate to do this but..........Feb 27th this year is a Monday. :whistler:

Thanks for pointing that out - senior moment - I looked at the January block on the calendar. It's a good job you mentioned it - otherwise there is no knowing which day I would have turned up on.... :rofl:

Original post edited accordingly.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Thanks for pointing that out - senior moment - I looked at the January block on the calendar. It's a good job you mentioned it - otherwise there is no knowing which day I would have turned up on.... :rofl:

Original post edited accordingly.

I read your post and thought, "Oh Sh*t. I've booked the wrong night for my dinner."
Which is why I checked.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Would you be so good as to ask if their satnav accepts full UK postcodes now? From the HOCGB forum I gather the new Santa Fe has a 4 character (max) prefix input, due in part to the failure of Hyundai to subscribe to Royal Mails postcode licensing system.

I'd love to be there.

Will do.

If you phone 0800 981 981 I'm sure they would fit you in.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Great post, Alan. I'd love to come along, but I'm afraid my rowboat has a busted rowlock. :happydance:

Can you please ask how fast it goes, and do red ones go faster than the others. :wink:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Are there any other UK forum members who are going - it would be nice to say hello.

I've not received one.

may be they have heard about my repair fiasco which still hasn't been completed!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

I've not received one.

may be they have heard about my repair fiasco which still hasn't been completed!!!!!

I bet you've been blacklisted, eye30 and you photo has probably been distributed to every Hyundai dealer in the UK.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I've not received one.

I bet you've been blacklisted, eye30 and you photo has probably been distributed to every Hyundai dealer in the UK.

:-[
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I've not received one.

Not quite every one. I ran out of postage stamps :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I just rang that number and asked some lady if she could fit me in ..  :whistler: (she didn't sound impressed .. then she hung up.. :faint:)

You have done well Alan.. sounds like a great day... :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I just rang that number and asked some lady if she could fit me in ..  :whistler: (she didn't sound impressed .. then she hung up.. :faint:)

You have done well Alan.. sounds like a great day... :mrgreen:

I wonder who you would connect to if you just dialled the number I listed. For sure it wouldn't be in the UK because it lacks the country code.  Go on - I dare you to try it.

I didn't do anything to get the invite, other than order a brochure for the i30 from the Hyundai website. However - I popped into my local delership yesterday to try the Veloster and they asked me if I would like to attend. However - I had already made arrangements through Hyundai UK Head Office. My interest in the Velocter is purely acedemic - I need a car with 5 doors - but it seems to be a nicely thought out car that goes well and looks much better in the flesh than in photos. Although the rear seats can take adults - I found that access through the single rear door rather awkward. Fine for kids - but not someone like me - having a 25 year old mentality and 75 year old body.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Interesting stuff, wish I could be there!!

With regards to the sat nav/ reverse camera, I suspect you will find that this is in the optional "media pack".  My mate got it fitted to her ix35 and the camera is good but the sat nav is as Steve says restricted in postcode input and the maps are woefully out of date, even after an "update".  There is a cinema still shown in Aberdeen which was knocked down and changed into flats 17 years ago on hers!!

I suspect also the trip computer will be more like the ix20 one.  I have two mileage odometers Trip A and Trip B.  I also have overall fuel consumption, this tank consumption (this gets autozeroed when you fill up) and this moment consumption (scary seeing 8mpg as you accelerate up a hill!!).  It also includes a total time meter (which rezeroes at 1000h).
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Interesting stuff, wish I could be there!!

With regards to the sat nav/ reverse camera, I suspect you will find that this is in the optional "media pack".  My mate got it fitted to her ix35 and the camera is good but the sat nav is as Steve says restricted in postcode input and the maps are woefully out of date, even after an "update".  There is a cinema still shown in Aberdeen which was knocked down and changed into flats 17 years ago on hers!!

I suspect also the trip computer will be more like the ix20 one.  I have two mileage odometers Trip A and Trip B.  I also have overall fuel consumption, this tank consumption (this gets autozeroed when you fill up) and this moment consumption (scary seeing 8mpg as you accelerate up a hill!!).  It also includes a total time meter (which rezeroes at 1000h).

Brian

The sat-nav and reversing camera isn't part of a media pack. The brochure and price list shows that the top of the range model - called the Style Nav, has it as standard. 
It comes with the reversing camera and costs exactly £1000 more than the Style Model.

An extra £1000 for a possibly mediocre sat-nav and reversing camera is a steep price to pay - but it is probably competitive with other car brands. I already have an all-singing, all-dancing Garmin sat-nav with the whole of Europe maps, free map updates for life and built-in speed cameras - so I doubt that I will be tempted, unless there are other unlisted goodies included.

Your trip computer seems to be similar to the one fitted to a friend's 2 year old KIA Ceed - his resets the fuel economy trip back to zero every time he refuels the car. I think it may be triggered when you open the filler cap.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 16:41:30 by AlanHo »

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Indeed it is the fuel cap which resets the trip meter in that mode.

Handily you will find that the media pack retails at £1000 or so, therefore the top of the range i30 is simply the one below plus the media pack :whistler:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Alan, I so envy you. Wish that was me going to that arrangement.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you lucky bugger Alan.  :mrgreen: :goodjob2: :goodjob:  I'd love to go to an event like that.  :honk: :honk: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for your good wishes - but I am starting to get a bit nervous at the thought of racing around Silverstone. It's a good job the car has a speed limiter on the cruise control - otherwise I might get a penalty for speeding in the pit lane.  Furthermore - I dread the thought that it might start to rain and I have to come in for a change to wet weather tyres. Knowing my luck, I will charge into the pit, overshoot the box and run the front jack-man over.  If I am brought into the pit for more fuel - I am going to be most suspicious that the car is not as frugal as being claimed. 

We will see................... :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If only we had another member close by who could capture it all on Video ... <sigh>
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If only we had another member close by who could capture it all on Video ... <sigh>
10-to-1 odds that there'll be a vid uploaded to someones Faceplant or MeTube, and that I'll find it :P

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Alan's wife,possibly.  :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Excellent review Alan  :goodjob2: & not 1 joke in the entire text.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal