i30 Owners Club

Qld reassesses cycling laws

Guest · 10 · 1951

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All very well, but people are notoriously bad at estimating distance, so you are setting them up for failure.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My opinion of this is mixed.. Think it is a step in the right direction but the fines are over the top and who decides when it is safe to cross double white lines..  :undecided: Can see that rule being abused! I was just getting around a cyclist officer! Oh, where did he go! :confused: :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Dam would load up for me will try later
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
here in uk you wear a helmet if you want.

no law to say compulsory
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My opinion of this is mixed.. Think it is a step in the right direction but the fines are over the top and who decides when it is safe to cross double white lines..  :undecided: Can see that rule being abused! I was just getting around a cyclist officer! Oh, where did he go! :confused: :whistler:

You've always been allowed to cross over double lines to avoid an obstacle so I guess this is really just an extension of that.
At least now drivers (hopefully) won't be quite so tempted to pass close to the rider because they were trying not to cross the double lines.
I think this has to be a good thing.  :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
It finally worked,I have no issues with those changes,all sounded like a lot of common sense to me,I have always given cyclists plenty of room,as for the catching of cyclists breaking the laws,simple answer is to make it compulsory for them to have small number plates,no rego fees applicable,just charge a small fee for the initial registering and recording of the plate,but no on going yearly fees other than transfering that plate number address or ownership,they had them for many years here in WA and it worked quite well,I've said it before and say it again I have no issue with number plates front and rear for any vehicle,when it comes to those few irresponsible ones who take not having these plates as a right to go out and diliberately break the law,let these scum pay the same type of fines we do if or when we choose to be neglectful or deliberately wrong.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

You've always been allowed to cross over double lines to avoid an obstacle

Isn't that in relation to a stationary obstacle and not a moving one such as a push bike or what we  can come across on our winding country lane, cows...
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

You've always been allowed to cross over double lines to avoid an obstacle

Isn't that in relation to a stationary obstacle and not a moving one such as a push bike or what we  can come across on our winding country lane, cows...
Yeah. That's how I always understood it, too. But I guess Rusty means they're just taking that option and extending it to include cyclist.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal