i30 Owners Club

Removing front seat base - is it easy ?

diablo · 5 · 2793

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I mentioned on another thread about how my old mother has a little difficulty getting in and out of the passenger seat. I got a helpful suggestion about getting a swivel pad but on looking at reviews it seems they don't work very well - unless maybe you have dead flat seats, which they ain't.

So instead I've just got some leather effect seat covers, made of shiny PVC really. I'm thinking if I polish the seat with silicone spray then it will be much better for mum to swivel around on - rather than the cloth.

Now the instructions say it is best to remove the seat base to fix the cover - has anyone done this ? I'm hoping it is fixed by four easy-to-get-at bolts but maybe I'm being optimistic ! It is dark outside otherwise I'd have looked. :)

Thanks for any info.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again Diablo.. Here's my 2c worth.. I wouldn't try and take the seat out if you have airbags in them as you will have to disconnect them and possibly the seat belt sensors..

You should be able to do them insitu BUT just watch out for sharp bits under the seat  :whistler: Myself and several others have scored some bloodied fingers.. :blubber:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Ta, I hadn't thought about the airbags etc.

I've fitted seat covers before with everything in place so I can do it again I suppose. It was a bit of a faff if I remember but sort of worked. :)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
I think, In regards to the airbags in the seats, they best thing to do, (if your toying with Airbag conenctions etc) disconnect car battery and leave sit for about a minute, to let all the circuit drain out, then disconnect airbag plugs etc, . do  your thing, and re-connect, hopefully no warning lights etc.

My getz had side airbags, same as the i30, and I had them out before to clean the carpet etc underneath (tad obsessive but was easiest way) I never disconnected the battery in this case as i didnt know to.

Safety first i guess
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal