• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
-  an insurance company hasn't got in touch with me concerning wind screen window replacement. I expected it wouldn't last this long
- next week I appointed a meeting with warranty engineer of a local Hyundai dealer regarding the rust and swallows on the hatch door and silver film delimitation on the steering wheel, I also expect them to change aft additional stop light due to crack.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
-  an insurance company hasn't got in touch with me concerning wind screen window replacement. I expected it wouldn't last this long

Can you still drive your car?
How long since?

In UK if you have window cover as part of your insurance you just make your own arrangements direct with the repair shop.  Show your insurance document and pay any excess to the repairers.

Quick and simple and usually takes no more than 1 day, so long as they have screen in stock.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

How long since?

In UK if you have window cover as part of your insurance you just make your own arrangements direct with the repair shop.  Show your insurance document and pay any excess to the repairers.

Quick and simple and usually takes no more than 1 day, so long as they have screen in stock.
Yes I can, there is a crack in it about 10cm in length.
I went to a dealer on Wednesday where an insurance company's representative took some photos of my car and window, especially, I filled in some papers and was said to sit and wait for a call.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

How long since?

Yes I can, there is a crack in it about 10cm in length.
I went to a dealer on Wednesday where an insurance company's representative took some photos of my car and window, especially, I filled in some papers and was said to sit and wait for a call.

Here you don't need to wait for the authorisation from the insurance co.

The repairer will authorise immediately for you.

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
got a speeding ticket today  :'(

120 in a 100 zone

coppa showed me on the radar gun that i was 578 metres away when he got me  :eek:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

120 in a 100 zone

coppa showed me on the radar gun that i was 578 metres away when he got me  :eek:

You weren't in NSW, I hope?
It's a double demerit weekend apparently...... :fum:  :mad:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire

120 in a 100 zone

If only that were mph  :whistler:
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Misha, That seems a lot of rigmarole for a replacement screen... :fum:

I think it is similar to UK over here.. Just give your repairer the insurance details and they sort it directly with the insurance company.  :cool:

Hi K (Brett?) Wow over half a kilometre away  :Shocked: (Hard to see that one coming)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

120 in a 100 zone

You weren't in NSW, I hope?
It's a double demerit weekend apparently...... :fum:  :mad:
Don't think they can apply the double demerits if you are licensed in another State. And I'm pretty sure K'pillar lives in Qld and works in SA. But I just drove through parts of NSW on Friday and Saturday. The longer you drive, the greater chance you'll edge up in your speed at the wrong  time.
Not that I have a problem if I get caught, because if my concentration has slipped enough to let my spped creep up then it's probably also slipped enough to dangerously slow your reactions in an emergency.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Trev, his profile says he lives in Toowoomba so figure that's not too far from the border...  :)

If you commit a demerit points offence anywhere in Australia, the demerit points allocated for the offence may be recorded on your traffic history.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Licence-demerit-points.aspx

So, you do need to be on your best behaviour in other States........ :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Not having ever been caught like that, what is it the cop shows you  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

Not having ever been caught like that, what is it the cop shows you  :question:

they show you thereadout on the back of the radar gun wich says your speed and the range that you were detected.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
How do you know it was your vehicle, I say, prove it  :exclaim:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's the trouble, you have to prove it wasn't you.... :undecided:

And here's how quick you can be nabbed....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"  :question:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

From reading post over the last few years what amazes me is that each State seems to have its own rules/laws which can catch out visitors to that State.

Ok a lot are common but some States seems to have some unique rule/law all to themselves.

Why can't there be 1 set for the whole of OZ then no matter where you are you know what is what and what is not?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

back to topic  :D
+ I have 4 days off
- an insurance company hasn't called me yet (it is 3 days holidays now)
+/- I haven't come up with a final idea what car should I buy next (I thing about follow cars: Renault Megane 3 2.0 DSG; Skoda Octavia 2.0; Opel Astra GTC or KIA Cerato  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

- Misha is thinking about new car and Hyundai isn't on the short list  :disapp:

+ it is a public holiday today :goodjob:

- I am in charge at work this week (so I have to work full time)  :disapp:

+ it is only a 4 day week  :sweating:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

- Misha is thinking about new car and Hyundai isn't on the short list  :disapp:
that is because of Hyundai policy stupidity  :twisted: "less features - more money"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah I know Misha (sad though) Hope you still come on here  :blubber: (better get the Kia .. at least it is a cousin)  :winker:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Yeah I know Misha (sad though) Hope you still come on here  :blubber: (better get the Kia .. at least it is a cousin)  :winker:
I sold Getz in Jan 2010, but I am still frequent visitor in Getz-club (there is also club's sticker on my i30) :D and take part in various meetings from time to time
Anyway my bicycle is a member of i30ownersclub since recent time too  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
From reading post over the last few years what amazes me is that each State seems to have its own rules/laws which can catch out visitors to that State.

Ok a lot are common but some States seems to have some unique rule/law all to themselves.

Why can't there be 1 set for the whole of OZ then no matter where you are you know what is what and what is not?

That would make too much sense......and since when have Pollies & Safetycrats ever made sense?  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

It's easy with a Laser, as opposed to radar, because unless you get a clear uninterrupted line-of-sight "lock" on the target vehicle, you don't get a reading at all.
Watching the video below, you can see that. There is one error in obtaining readings and you can hear the audible warning & no reading.
Our magistrates over here (and no doubt in other states too) have all been out to sample how the Laser works so they know what they're talking about in court.
Once the evidence is given by the police officer as to which vehicle he "locked in" it's pretty difficult to lose a court case.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

It's easy with a Laser, as opposed to radar, because unless you get a clear uninterrupted line-of-sight "lock" on the target vehicle, you don't get a reading at all.
Watching the video below, you can see that. There is one error in obtaining readings and you can hear the audible warning & no reading.
Our magistrates over here (and no doubt in other states too) have all been out to sample how the Laser works so they know what they're talking about in court.
Once the evidence is given by the police officer as to which vehicle he "locked in" it's pretty difficult to lose a court case.

Speed cameras are bad enough, but at least you're provided with photographic evidence, which is hard to argue against. There have been cases of drivers winning by proving the equipment faulty. IMO, an officer, claiming to have locked on to a speeding vehicle just isn't proof enough. To me, the police have an unfair advantage. If an offence is comitted, the first the driver knows, is when he is pulled over and advised of the offence. At the time of the offence, the driver is unaware of the monitoring of his / her speed and therefore can not produce evidence to mount a defence due to the stealth tactics the police use, eg long range, hiding in bushes, downhill gradients etc. So in this case, if the protection of the law and the presumption of innocence is upheld, how can this be fair and just.  :Dunno:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Speed cameras are bad enough, but at least you're provided with photographic evidence, which is hard to argue against. There have been cases of drivers winning by proving the equipment faulty. IMO, an officer, claiming to have locked on to a speeding vehicle just isn't proof enough. To me, the police have an unfair advantage. If an offence is comitted, the first the driver knows, is when he is pulled over and advised of the offence. At the time of the offence, the driver is unaware of the monitoring of his / her speed and therefore can not produce evidence to mount a defence due to the stealth tactics the police use, eg long range, hiding in bushes, downhill gradients etc. So in this case, if the protection of the law and the presumption of innocence is upheld, how can this be fair and just.  :Dunno:

What's the difference with hand-held radar? That's the same as Laser.
It stands to reason that the first you know about it is when you are stopped, but that is the same with many offences.  :confused:
As far as the presumption of innocence is concerned, you still have that. You are still presumed innocent until convicted and you can choose to either contest the matter in court or pay the prescribed penalty if you don't wish to go to court.
I don't really se a problem with it. You usually know if you are speeding and if you truly believe you weren't you can defend the charge.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
How do you defend the charge, other than a stat dec saying you weren't speeding, then the police have an officer prepared to swear otherwise and an electronic gadget to back them up = you loose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all against people breaking the law and driving dangerously. Getting pinged for a few k's over is just revenue for the govt IMO. I've been pinged twice 30 years ago and both times, just marginally over the acceptable limit. I paid my fines and learned my lesson :-[

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal