i30 Owners Club

Hi from Melbourne, Australia.... Diego

Offline diegoi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi everyone, I just bought an i30 CRDi SLX vivid blue, it's a fantastic car, this web site is very helpful, thanks for creating this. I've been driving this car for 4 days it's amazing.

I wanna know the correct rpm's for when to change gears, I dont know if I've been doing it propely

1st gear - 2500 rpm
2nd gear - 2100/2200 rpm
3rd gear - 2100/2200 rpm
4th gear - 2100/2200 rpm

I am looking forward to your replays.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Diego...

A very big welcome to our humble club.

Not a lot of vivid blue i30's about (although it is a pretty colour) We look forward to seeing some pix  :D

As far as your question about change points in the diesel goes you will probably get as many opinions as there are members (now 49!)

Your current change points look o/k to me, I'll have to make a mental note to see where I change! Think I don't go to 2500 in first when I'm watching my economy but occasionally I give her a rev to a bit over 3000 in 2nd and 3rd just to clear the cobwebs, no need to go much past 3000 even then.

Thanks for registering and look forward to your input...

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Deigo,

Firstly Welcome :lol:

Christ i hope she does'nt read that :?

ouri30
I agree with Eymateapot, that is about changing at around 1900-2200 to get best economy, although I have found that a little low when the engine is cold.  My wife is able to achieve reasonably good fuel economy when she tries, although she drives a little faster than me most of the time.  I think having the trip computer has made her a lot more aware of driving economically.

I do occassionally rev past 3000 rpm as ouri30 had this rev limit issue (referred to elsewhere on this and the other forum) which is no longer occuring since the fuel filter unit replacement, but I do test it out in 2nd from time to time.

Diego, welcome to the forum.  If you are like us, you will realy love the driving experience in your i30.

Bob

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "ouri30"
I agree with Eymateapot, that is about changing at around 1900-2200 to get best economy, although I have found that a little low when the engine is cold.
Yeah especially when cold the 1, 2, 3 change rarely gets under 2500, although 4th at 2000 is ok. I generally find that 2200 is the norm, under that the engine seems to struggle a bit much for me, especially in 3r and 4th gears

Quote from: "ouri30"
I do occassionally rev past 3000 rpm as ouri30 had this rev limit issue (referred to elsewhere on this and the other forum) which is no longer occuring since the fuel filter unit replacement, but I do test it out in 2nd from time to time.
Yeah sometimes in second I rev to 3000 or so to get up to traffic speeds, but rarely in 3rd or 4th. It IS fun to do that sometimes though :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
For whats its worth I don't look at the RPM to decide when to change gear. (motor not clothing before any any bright spark makes the comment)

I change up or down by listening to the engine noise, which is very low on my i30 - never had a car so quite.

I make sure that the engine does not labour in to a high gear or whine in a low gear.

Today for example I had to do 4800 - 5000 rpm in 3rd, to get out of the way of a boy racer in a suped up clapped out thing, and it sounded sweet.  No harsh noise just sweet.

In Uk too much going on around you to keep lookin at Revs.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline OMVanders

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      McLaren Vale

• McLaren Vale, South Australia Black CRDi I30 SX
Yep pretty much the same feedback from me.  The only thing I'd add is that I've found little point in revving over 3000 when the next gear up has got such good torque between 1900 and 2700. :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal