i30 Owners Club

Turbo whistle

BC · 89 · 43766

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I finally got the result I wanted with my turbo whisle issue. After a long battle with the dealership and hyundai I got a positive result.
At first the dealership told me the whistle was due to my K&N panel filter.  So I told them fine I'll pay for an original one... turbo whistle still there... then they told me the clip on the air box was the issue.... I said fine replace it I'll pay for it.... turbo whistle noise still there.
After all that I got the verdict that there was failing bearings in the turbo. He said they would order a new turbo under warranty.
I then received a phone call the other day saying the turbo had arrived however Hyundai has now recalled the part because they are acknowledging that the turbo has a common problem with the bearings. He told me they have now dispatched the new turbos that are supposed to fix the issue.
I should have this all sorted by next fortnight when I get the car to the dealership.
I'll keep you posted.
I have been dealing with Melbourne City Hyundai
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well done, mate. Persistence has paid off. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well at least they did not tell you to go and whistle....for it.....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
the 'variable vanes' are just 'flaps' that move with the actuator, no boost on the actuator makes them face IN to the turbine, and boost make them fan away from the turbine.

yours sounded like it needed a new cartridge or overhaul. 100% dooable, infact people on the skyline club do them all by them selves, granted they are not rebuilding VNT turbos, but i cant imagine its that much harder!

here is how a VNT turbo works, imagine the exhaust comes in from the outside, then it goes through the 'vanes' across the turbine and out the middle into the dump pipe.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks for that, but when you have Garret Turbos in Melbourne have a look at it and say they can't fix it you don't argue. That reminds me I should dig up a journal from them that I saw last year.  On it they stated the vnt is a non-serviceable part.  Maybe this is non dooable on i30 type turbos. Dunknow. But I've still got the original turbo just in case but it would be good if what you're saying is applicable for the i30 turbos.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 19:47:17 by eyecon »

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Couldn't find their press release re vnt serviceability, but I found the same answer in their Faq section. Cut and pasted:

VNT Turbochargers

Are they repairable?
Garrett by Honeywell VNT(Variable Nozzle Turbine) turbochargers are highly complex units engineered and calibrated to meet the exacting performance parameters of automotive manufacturers.  The only possible way to meet these exacting standards, ensuring optimum performance of a VNT turbocharger is at the point of manufacture.Disassembly of a VNT turbocharger means that the minimum vane open setting will have to be reset before the calibration process can be completed, only achievable using a highly accurate turbine flow bench to measure and compensate for any variation in gas flow through the vanes of the turbocharger.  Trying to repair a VNT turbocharger is like trying to repair a microchip with a soldering iron - it's practically impossible.Attempt to repair or use substitute parts could result in the following:Conflict with the engine management systemLow flow/pressure, causing excessively high temperatures, damaging both the turbocharger and the engineHigh flow/pressure, leading to the over-speeding of the turbocharger, wheel bursting and damage to turbocharger and engineOver rich diesel fuel/air mix, causing excessively high temperatures, damaging both the turbo and the engineExcessive boost pressure, causing physical engine damageGarrett does not sell spare parts for VNT turbos for these reasons; it's just too big a risk.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Being a septic skeptic I could say they missed the bit out about "plus we don't make any money if you fix the damaged one rather than replace it" but I am only playing the devil's advocate... :twisted:

While that is the case in a lot of instances, I doubt it is in this case... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We have made lots of improvements since you were last on... I see you are enjoying the new Smileys  :victory:

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
 Yeah man. A bit easier now. I see you've also added a few more topics too, and your activity on this site has not diminished.  :drinks:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We have our ups and downs, but mostly ups .. Have now met over 30 members face to face in Every State and Territory of Australia in the last 5 years and liked every one of them! :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Sorry for the  :offtopic: folks... :-[

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Being a septic skeptic I could say they missed the bit out about "plus we don't make any money if you fix the damaged one rather than replace it" but I am only playing the devil's advocate... :twisted:

While that is the case in a lot of instances, I doubt it is in this case... :cool:

Dazz from past experience with turbines. to rebuild is not cheap at all, as the new turbine needs to be dynamically balanced as well as other things. thats a really tricky time consuming job. i have watched it being done.

i have read part of this post, & saw the mention of part recall? so is my i30 in need of another recall part?

also being profoundly deaf i won't hear the whistling turbo ( scary )

well the 60k service will be due in two thousand k, i'll ask.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i have read part of this post, & saw the mention of part recall? so is my i30 in need of another recall part?

also being profoundly deaf i won't hear the whistling turbo ( scary )

No official recall that I know about John.. Plenty of higher mileage i30 CRDi on the road without Turbo issues...

Yes, a bit tricky being deaf in that situation!  :undecided:

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
I guess the problem began to surface a month or two after I ran the car too hard up a steep and windy road on a hot day and towing a trailer full of camping gear. It then started to overheat badly before pulling over and allowing it to idle and cool down to normal operating temps.
It's interesting to note that it was overheating - was this apparent via the temp gauge?
I sometimes wonder if the gauge is of much value - by the time it rises it's too late. (particularly if you have a sudden loss of water)
Some time ago I posted and asked if anyone had ever seen their gauge anywhere above normal and didn't get anyone with an example.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Yeah temp gauge. The needle headed to almost the critical red range.  Haven't had any temp probs since, and was about 2 years ago now, and I drive my car like it's a company car (then again it is my company car). On the day, which was a very hot day, I caned it up the mountain whilst towing the trailer.  I would have been very surprised if the needle still didn't move after that, but I half wanted to prove a point the gauge was doing it's job.  Like I said before the needle hasn't moved since and I do trust the gauge now.

sorry I didn't read your earlier post. Haven't been on for a while.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I guess the problem began to surface a month or two after I ran the car too hard up a steep and windy road on a hot day and towing a trailer full of camping gear. It then started to overheat badly before pulling over and allowing it to idle and cool down to normal operating temps.
It's interesting to note that it was overheating - was this apparent via the temp gauge?
I sometimes wonder if the gauge is of much value - by the time it rises it's too late. (particularly if you have a sudden loss of water)
Some time ago I posted and asked if anyone had ever seen their gauge anywhere above normal and didn't get anyone with an example.

Hi BC

Must have missed that post also.

On 2 occasion I've had the temp gauge rise to the other side of the middle mark. Both times was when towing the caravan up the motorway in the Alps on very warm days, ca 30 ºC towing 1400 kg.

Both times the temp rised to the point where the engine lost power, controlled by the ecu, to protect the engine I guess.

Once the engine have cooled of, the power is back.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia

On 2 occasion I've had the temp gauge rise to the other side of the middle mark. Both times was when towing the caravan up the motorway in the Alps on very warm days, ca 30 ºC towing 1400 kg.

Both times the temp rised to the point where the engine lost power, controlled by the ecu, to protect the engine I guess.

You are very relaxed about the loss of power - I would have been more worried.  Maybe I'm getting too old!
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
(particularly if you have a sudden loss of water)

Your temp gauge would rapidly drop with a loss of coolant, the temp sensor cant get a reading in air/steam.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

You are very relaxed about the loss of power - I would have been more worried.  Maybe I'm getting too old!

You haven't typed your age in your profile, so I don't know if you're old.. :snigger: :snigger:

Actually, I find it a very nice feature, that the ECU reacts on the hot engine with cutting the power. Other cars just get hot and suddenly the water boils  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia

Actually, I find it a very nice feature, that the ECU reacts on the hot engine with cutting the power. Other cars just get hot and suddenly the water boils  :

So the ECU definitely responds to overheating?  Pretty nifty if it does.
Assuming that's the case, I wonder if the engine stops completely (or goes into limp home mode)  before getting to the point of seizing?
I suppose when you think about it, the enormous amount of data available via the ECU gives the designers the opportunity to do lots of clever stuff.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Well the i30 finally went in for the replacement turbo. The car was at the dealer for 3 day because they were struggling to get the turbo off as the bolts had seized.

Turbo whistle has now gone away and is running as normal. no noticable improvement other than the noise is finally gone!

I have attached a copy of the work that was carried out for anyone who is curious....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can't argue with that result.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:  Would have been interesting to know what they costed it at! Not a common warranty claim fortunately.  :sweating:

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
:whsaid:  Would have been interesting to know what they costed it at! Not a common warranty claim fortunately.  :sweating:

When my turbo was replaced under warranty for a noisy bearing, the dealership estimated $3500.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, Lucky you were still in warranty then!  :eek:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'm pretty sure the turbo alone would be around the 1k mark, then gaskets and the number of hours they spent trying to get the thing off... I'm sure it would have been pushing the 2.5k mark

I'm amazed it took 3 dealerships to get a result. It was like pulling teeth to get it done. Hopefully the turbo holds up since I always wait a few seconds before turning off the car everytime without fail.

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
The turbo whining noise is due to a problem in the variable vane part of the turbo, which is non-serviceable. In other words there is no way you or the service department can fix this, other than getting a complete new turbo, or getting a good second-hand one. I had this occur in mine and the noise got louder and louder as the months went by. And yes it started to sound like the cops or ambulance were on my tail. I guess the problem began to surface a month or two after I ran the car too hard up a steep and windy road on a hot day and towing a trailer full of camping gear. It then started to overheat badly before pulling over and allowing it to idle and cool down to normal operating temps. I suspected that over working the little turbo may have caused the variable vanes to warp slightly due to the heat. This was further confirmed when I had my mechanic remove the turbo and establish the main shaft bearings were still in perfect shape and well within tolerance. Unfortunately I couldn't claim a new replacement turbo under warranty because my servicing was not regular according to the service book. So I decided to source a replacement second-hand turbo from the wreckers with low kms for about $1200 (i think) plus r&r. The car has now done over 100K on the second turbo and all is still good with.

Moral of the story? If you're starting to hear the whining sound (whether idling or under acceleration) it will be the variable vane component beginning to fail and is a non-serviceable l part.  And if you're servicing record is impeccable then you should be able to get a new turbo under warranty. At the time when the turbo whining was going on I was warned that if I leave it too long the variable vanes might break completely, thereby sending shrapnel into your engine, and well...I'm sure you know the rest. Mind you the turbo was whining for several months before I decided to change it.

Anyway that's my 2 bobs worth.

If the variable vanes break they will go down the exhaust pipe, not into the engine.
  • Getz i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal