i30 Owners Club

ULP in CRDi = Costly (No I didn't do it)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
...now we have the problem of lady drivers useing diesel cars, some just think its shopping...
Ooh you might get some flak for that mate :P

Yeah..Lucky he's deaf  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 :lol:
When i race my Harley, we have a lady about 35, races a Sportster, she only just started.i was stiring one of the guy's up as was talking about clutch's, i told him they only used the type of pressure plate spring he was useing, so they could sell Harleys to girl's  :lol: he went and told the new Lady and i got an ear bashing ( good natured )  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:lol:
 got an ear bashing ( good natured )  :lol:

I get some of those at home (I'm a bit deaf but not as much as you) it would be handy at times... :rolleyes:

Offline wearyone

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Durham
I had a Citroen ZX 1.9 Turbo D and had filled about half the tank with unleaded before I realised (I'd had a bad morning and had just changed a back brake cylinder before setting off to Liverpool) When I realised what I'd done I filled the rest with diesel and set off on the 100+ mile journey hoping for the best. In truth the car had never gone so well although the engine started to 'pink' as the mixture became more petrol than diesel. It went like the proverbial $£it off the shovel. That was c 1999 and I kept the car 'till August 2005 without a problem occurring through the mistake.
I was often tempted just to give it a 'blow out' with the odd gallon of unleaded. :twisted:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Scary stuff.. Don't try that trick with our common rail diesel motor :-0

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Carsguide have an article about this problem just out.  Looks like the problem is on the rise due to the popularity of diesels lately.  It mentions some devices that physically prevent petrol bowser nozzles going into the diesel filler neck.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/story/misfuelling_a_costly_mistake

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks m8 - nice little article...

StuartB
OK I'll fess up. I have put 19 litres of 91 in a small truck with a 55 litre tank. Realised what I had done and filled up the rest with diesel (about 25 litres). I had to drive about 450k the next day so just drove easy. Each small town I came to I topped it up (about 5 purchases of 5-6 litres). It was fine, that was about 9,000ks ago.

My only excuse is that I was tired and also the gas station has the diesel nozzle on the RHS of all the pumps except the one I happened to use (don't ask me why).

I'm having nightmares about doing the same to the i30.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Having used petrol for 20+ years this will be my first diesel, so I'm pretty worried I'm going to fill up with ULP at some stage. Has any one used any of these misfuel devices on their i30, and got a recommendation?

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Having used petrol for 20+ years this will be my first diesel, so I'm pretty worried I'm going to fill up with ULP at some stage.

I was worried about that but have settle in fairly early - helps that the cap is clearly labelled diesel, and that the servo i go to has the diesel pump away from Petrol!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think I've decided to go with one of these, as soon as they are in stock for the i30 (1-2 weeks) :

http://www.tullmaninnovations.com/

Apparently thatcham are testing theses, and thier requirements for approval include the ability to earth the nozzle while pumping, and for the tank to be able to breathe, and some of the models on the market fail these.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I think I've decided to go with one of these, as soon as they are in stock for the i30 (1-2 weeks) :

http://www.tullmaninnovations.com/

A fine looking device but a bit pricey. Tempted tho...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

They all seem to be £30-£40

I see the Dragon'd Den Fuel Angel is down to £35 delivered now, so it's still a bit of a toss-up.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah I totally forgot to write it here.. My father did exactly that (ULP in CRDi - 07' Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDI) 3 months ago..

He went to the gas station, filled in about 25 liters of ULP and then when he was putting the "handle" back he saw it was green.. Asked the man on the station what he should do and he answered that he should just fill the rest (40-50 liters) of diesel and put a bit of 2-T oil.. He then called the Hyundai dealer and they said the same thing but also added that he should stop every 20 kms and fill it up to the max again - so it was less and less ULP in.. They said that the company also guaranties that the car can "handle" at least 10% of ULP and that there shouldn't be any problem..

So..he did what he was told and there really wasn't any problem. He did approx 5,000 kms after that and the car worked fine.. About a month ago we sold it when it had 105,000 kms and bought the new Santa Fe again..  :)

I talked with our dealer and they said there was a guy who filled up almost brand new Hyundai ix55 (2 weeks old) with 70 or 80 liters of ULP and drove for 200 km. He parked the car in front of his house and next day, when he wanted to start the car, it just didn't start. He called the service and they figured out that was the case.. They managed to start the car again after changing few filters and other things, but they say that it's a question for how long the car will work without problems..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal