i30 Owners Club

2010 crdi i30 cw head gasket

cbai30 · 37 · 13268

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I doubt it, as it IS a coolant and engine overheating can occur for a variety of reasons, I wouldn't want THAT reaction under any circumstances. It has already forced the dismantling of the engine. Could have been contaminated with trans oil, AC fluid due to pipe rupture, or some other component that sdissolves under steam temperature. Who knows.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Phil what I'm trying  to say is because the engine as overheated for whatever reason, the greenish sludge or what ever you want to call it could be the inhibitor in the cooling system which as reacted due to the coolant boiling and evaporating, not the cause of it to overheat the engine.

I'm afraid the damage has been made worse by continuing to drive it when he saw the temp gauge over in the red and loosing power, that's on the verge of engine seizure as the engine oil looses it viscosity and is unable to lubricate the moving parts in the engine. This could manifest into all-sorts of problems.

• 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hopefully, we'll know soon.  :eek:

Offline cbai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Weston, ACT

• 2010 FD 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Black
So we finally got the car back...the dealer rushed it to us before we drove 1000km round trip up the coast.  Apparently the Foreman had signed off on it and said it was good to go, but he also said that we needed to bring it back as soon as we got back from our holiday and then again in 'a few months'.  I understand that they didn't want their courtesy car driven up the hwy, but sheesh...

So, it turns out that Hyundai told the dealer to look at the coolant etc. first.  Eventually, the 'best theory' was that someone had put detergent (for the windscreen wipers) into the coolant reservoir.  Apparently this is perfectly understandable, as the coolant and the detergent are stored next to each other in the work shop, and the bottles look exactly the same.

Fortunately, we made it up and back down the coast safe and sound, although we were obviously on tenterhooks the whole way.

So we took it back in for the 'flushing' yesterday, and they confirmed that there were still 'specks' of coolant where it shouldn't be.  I also said that the car may need a wheel alignment (following our ~$900 service that precipitated this) as the steering wheel had to be pointedly held a little to the left when at 100-110km/hr...whilst the car vibrated heaps through the front wheels.

They returned the car to us and the steering wheel was straight.

Obviously, we're a little concerned by all this and wondering what to do.  We basically took the car in working fine, and got it back with the coolant going everywhere per the photo above, the engine overheating as a consequence, and the wheels out of alignment.  (The guys 'rebalanced' them yesterday according to the document).  We are also getting 2 different stories from the dealers; the customer interface has said it's their fault...the other customer interface (who seems to own a part share in the business) hasn't told us the detail re: the detergent mix up, and also said that the initial coolant overflow 'couldn't have been a result of the service'. 

At the very least, I think I need to write to Hyundai Australia (or the dealer principal?) outlining the situation and note that at least the warranty on the car - which expires in Sept - should be extended.  Everything aside, the frustrating part is that we (obviously) know very little about cars, but had a big trip coming up and sought a service ~1000km before it was due 'to be safe'.  The car went in fine, and came out less than fine...and we don't even know what long term damage has been done.  I've asked for a list of what steps were taken etc. and what was replaced, but that was 1 week ago and it still hasn't been done.  Apparently one of the technicians isn't too good at documenting his processes...

What would you guys be doing? And what do you think re: the explanation (detergent being put in the coolant reservoir)...and what else should we be worried about as a consequence, especially in light of the overheating?

Thanks in anticipation, and apologies for the long post.
  • 2010 i30cw crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Someone else may have clear info on the coolant/ detergent issue.

However, yes I would write to Hyundai Australia documenting everything that you have been "told" in much the same way as you have here.   I would express your concern about longer term damage and advise them that if the engine suffers from any issues which could be attributed to the overheating in the next year or so, you'll be looking for redress.

cc the dealer principal.

And if you want to post the letter (e-mail) here before you send it I'm sure we'd be only to happy to offer any suggestions for refinement.

Trev
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hyundai technicians are very well trained and record keeping is part of that training.

There will be a document or computer record detailing all of the work and investigations that have taken place on your vehicle. This is a requirement by HY head office, in order to compensate the warranty costs incurred by the dealer. It's your car and given that they have fixed the vehicle at no charge, this means that warranty repair was officially acknowledged by Hy.

I believe you are entitled to the complete investigative findings and details of repairs conducted on your car. Without this document, you will not know what was actually inspected and or repaired, which could have implications in the future.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts:

We love helping with this sort of stuff and as Trev says, feel free to run the document by us before sending.

A very poor turn of events!  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal