i30 Owners Club

Light brown sludge in engine coolant

chrisnka · 47 · 13953

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
What does the sludge smell like? Oil should have a distinct smell. That looks a lot like a car I once saw where the owner neglected to use antifreeze with brackish tapwater. A few months down the line it looked almost exactly like yours does
So after another drive it seems to have got darker brown, I have let it cool and had someone else do the smell test and can't really say it smells like oil, could be wrong but neither of us noticed the distinctive smell. Baffled really, no coolant to be seen on dipstick or oil cap either so if it is oil in the coolant, it doesn't seem like it's going the other way as of now

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• 2009 Hyundai i30 1.6 Comfort CRDI

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Well with any luck it'll be a quick flush and refill with the proper coolant/antifreeze...   good luck  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Everyone giving good advice, but as under warranty take it back see what they say. but like has been said Alloy meeds the pink red coolant should never be mixed with other colour as thats for the old style. the i30 & most late model use alloy radiator with plastic top & bottom. if was head gasket i'm sure you would know as water in diesel combustion chamber shows up fast! ( very high compression, water does not compress )
but as i said go straight to where bought show them.

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
Thanks again, as you say it's all good advise. On start up this morning it kicked a lot of white/grey smoke out of the exhaust for about 20 seconds then stopped, also was making a juddering sound (as if it was struggling) until the smoke stopped. Not sure if that's linked or if it's just a cold start

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Bright white smoke usually points to burning coolant. I'd have it checked out asap!

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
It's also possible that some clueless driver has earlier poured oil into a wrong place. I don't think any dealer would replace the head gasket right away, without trying flushing first to see if the coolant gets dirty again.

Thanks again, as you say it's all good advise. On start up this morning it kicked a lot of white/grey smoke out of the exhaust for about 20 seconds then stopped, also was making a juddering sound (as if it was struggling) until the smoke stopped. Not sure if that's linked or if it's just a cold start

That's usually caused by a failed glow plug, but could also come from a leaking head gasket. You should mention that too when you go to your dealer to present your findings.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
OK so spoke to the garage this morning, it's going back in on Wednesday,  he says he had put a flusher through it when he got the car which is what's still in, he says he will empty it and put another in. Is he just trying to hide something or can this be the case that it needs a few flushes?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the flush out additive has been left in there then it'll require flushing out again, if it had been done at a radiator service shop they would have power flushed it and it'd be good to go straight away.

Be interesting to know why they felt a need to add flush out in the first place :undecided:

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
If the flush out additive has been left in there then it'll require flushing out again, if it had been done at a radiator service shop they would have power flushed it and it'd be good to go straight away.

Be interesting to know why they felt a need to add flush out in the first place :undecided:
That's my point really, why the need to leave it in there!! Or is it a sealant that has been left in and he's trying to cover it up until the warranty expires is my other thought. I will be keeping a close eye on it once it's done

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah, maybe it's something like bars leaks.. :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
So car was back at the garage yesterday, (the wife took it) all he did was clean the gunk out from the reservoir and show her it was clear, told her if it does it again to bring it back and he will flush it but also gave us some radiator cleaner and said you can do it yourself if we wanted. Absolute joke, got home and I checked it, low and behold it's still got the brown water/gunk. I've told the Mrs to take it to another garage today where we normally get work done on our previous car so will see what they say. Does anyone know how much a flush and refill normally costs UK? Could do it myself but don't have ramps to get to the tap at the bottom of radiator.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very frustrating!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re bottom of rad.
If you can't get under then put one side of the car up on the kerb.

Plently of room in bay so have you tried to reach down?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
maybe a pressure test could give some clues.  Also, is this Auto? Common to have the oil cooler integrated into the radiator. Another potential source but then water would be going to the trans too I'd expect and you'd think that would play up quick smart.

Last time I saw that was a long time ago and looks similar to engine oil and coolant mixing
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
Re bottom of rad.
If you can't get under then put one side of the car up on the kerb.

Plently of room in bay so have you tried to reach down?
I will have a try tonight see if I can reach down to it. Thanks

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
maybe a pressure test could give some clues.  Also, is this Auto? Common to have the oil cooler integrated into the radiator. Another potential source but then water would be going to the trans too I'd expect and you'd think that would play up quick smart.

Last time I saw that was a long time ago and looks similar to engine oil and coolant mixing
It's a manual. Nothing is getting into the oil as far as I can tell so far

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal