Thinking of Buying a DOD F520 car camera

AlanHo · 115 · 36360

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Here are some screen shots which demonstrate the difference between filming with and without my new Lens Hood.

In each case the upper picture of each pair is the one without the hood.

Pip

That is an interesting idea about polarising glass. I don't possess any - otherwise I would give it a try.

Just a thought though - if it was that easy - why haven't DOD used a polarising front glass on the camera lens? - after all they are sold specifically for use in cars

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That's a very noticeable difference.
You'll have to patent it.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a very noticeable difference.
You'll have to patent it.  :)

Maybe you could call it "The Ho" because it ain't half bad... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
:Shocked: Wow are there no end to your talents Alan.. :goodjob2: :goodjob: and as usual I love your sense of humour  :rofl: :rofl:

Misha, don't try this at home either the TV or Camera would have been stolen before you had your 1st piece of foam carved... :whistler:
Oh, no, thanks Daz. I think I would drill a hole in a windscreen window - the easiest way to get rid of those reflections  :P

AlanHo
 :goodjob2:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Styrofoam? When did you become American?  :whistler:
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Styrofoam? When did you become American?  :whistler:

I have never known it by any other name. Polystyrene expanded foam is a bit of a mouthful - and since the Americans invented it they were the first to give it a generic name.
What do you call it up in Scotlandshire then?....................... :whistler:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
One of my irritating habits is to correct Americanisms when I hear them, ie "Can I get a" rather than "Can I have a" or "Truck" rather than "Lorry", "Train station" rather then "Railway Station" etc etc but the one that makes me blow a fuse is when people are asked "How are you?" and they reply "Good" rather then "Well"  :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One of my irritating habits is to correct Americanisms when I hear them, ie "Can I get a" rather than "Can I have a" or "Truck" rather than "Lorry", "Train station" rather then "Railway Station" etc etc but the one that makes me blow a fuse is when people are asked "How are you?" and they reply "Good" rather then "Well"  :disapp:

I assume I am not alone (amongst Aussies) in using a mixture of those terms ... I use Truck rather than Lorry, think I have used Train station and Railway station at times.

You would hate this but I would probably answer "not bad" instead of good or well... :lol:

As far as the foam goes think Trish and I call it packing foam  :whistler: but if pushed for the correct name I guess I would have said polystyrene foam  :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

That's quite a load you are toting there dude, I bet you have gotten cotton pickin' mad so often when folks don't speak regular English which is the normalcy you are used to.  Unlike you I am able to shrug it off - in fact I'm good and I could care less - whatever. Even the BBC news readers slip into mid-Atlantic lingo I don't know how many times a night - you do the math - then come back here and touch base again with this thread................... :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm with you to an extent.
One Americanism that I HATE is SUV for four wheel drive.
Sports Utility Vehicle means absolutely nothing in Australia, but so many people use it. Sports Utility Vehicle? What the hell is that?  :undecided:
Lorry is not used in Australia, it's truck here. Train Station v Railway Station - I've never thought about that one and probably use either.
And as far as the "Good" reply rather than "Well" I tend to agree. I usually say either "Well" or "Not bad, thanks."
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

And as far as the "Good" reply rather than "Well" I tend to agree. I usually say either "Well" or "Not bad, thanks."

Have you been to elocution lessons - that's much better than "Mind your own feckin business"........................... :rofl:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Have you been to elocution lessons - that's much better than "Mind your own feckin business"........................... :rofl:

I was very well brought up.
It was after that things started to go wrong.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The aluminum one used to irritate me, until I researched it, only to find that the English/British version was a mistake and by the time it was found to be a mistake it was almost impossible to rectify ergo, all the dictionary's were printed and aluminium was on common usage. 

I do get annoyed with a lot of the Americanism tho....   and despite having been there often to visit family I still become homicidal sometimes....    Especially when they saw   Awsome

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The aluminum one used to irritate me, until I researched it, only to find that the English/British version was a mistake and by the time it was found to be a mistake it was almost impossible to rectify ergo, all the dictionary's were printed and aluminium was on common usage. 

Especially when they saw   Awsome

Do they also spell it like that?.................... :Dunno:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Especially when they saw   Awsome

Do they also spell it like that?.................... :Dunno:

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised Alan, I don't know where we'd all be without you to keep us all on our toes.....   :P :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'll also be keen to find out which software editing package you settle on.

I tried movavi (the DOD recordings (doddings?) are stored in .mov format) but didn't feel comfortable with it.

I found virtualdubmod couldn't handle .mov files.

So, I settled on Xilisoft's "Video Converter Ultimate 6" which seems to do a reasonable job of editing & converting.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

I tried movavi (the DOD recordings (doddings?) are stored in .mov format) but didn't feel comfortable with it.

So, I settled on Xilisoft's "Video Converter Ultimate 6" which seems to do a reasonable job of editing & converting.
What about CyberLink PowerDirector?
I use both Movavi and Cyber for the time being

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

What about CyberLink PowerDirector?
I use both Movavi and Cyber for the time being

I too use powerdirector with whom I am miffed since, shortly after I BOUGHT a copy they brought out version 10 and I did not get an automatic upgrade....   Otherwise it fills the bill for me...    I had a look at some of the professional editing stuff available on certain servers but found them to be a little to demanding of my precious time.  I like the easy to used stuff nowadays.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...I like the easy to used stuff nowadays.

And I prefer the free stuff ;)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
...I like the easy to used stuff nowadays.

And I prefer the free stuff ;)

Yeah me too Steve and back in the day, maybe twenty years ago when roxbox was the pinnacle of being an elite computer dooood I was briefly top uploaded in the WORLD (the computer world back then wasn't as global as it is now of course) and ya had to have a grasp of DOS and know how to use a BBS.....  AAaaaahhhh those were the days.
But as I  hurtle towards my 70's I must be gerrin soft.  Almost everything on my poooter now is legit, blighmy, I am a law abiding d00000d...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah I don't have anything illegit, apart from my *cough* trial copy of Xilisoft, but I do prefer open source stuff, like 'handbrake' which I've been messing with recently :)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yeah I don't have anything illegit, apart from my *cough* trial copy of Xilisoft, but I do prefer open source stuff, like 'handbrake' which I've been messing with recently :)

Oh yeah, xilisoft looks cool...  I use Prism for quick conversions when needed 

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/support.html

quick n pretty easy for an old fart

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Here is my very first ever video uploaded to You Tube. It is a 10 minute video taken with my new DOD F520 car camcorder of part of an evening trip from home through the neighbouring roads.

The original MOV file is 595,354 KB in size and took 34 minutes to upload to You Tube followed by 22 minutes processing time. I now know that for every 10 minutes of video I can expect to wait and hour before in can be accessed on You Tube.

I know its a boring bit of video - but I am chuffed to bits with the quality of the videos produced by this little camera - even in late evening as the sun was going to bed.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's great quality - you're right to be chuffed.

My upload speed (around 1.2MB/s) is nowhere near yours, so I convert my vids to mp4 before attempting an upload; saves YT doing it for me and saves me lots of time.

Sometimes, though, I cannot help but feel somewhat guilty as a member of this forum. Before you joined, you probably had loads of spare cash and plenty of time for your wife. Since then, it seems we've deprived you of both those assets :(

Did I really say guilty?

Scratch that :happydance:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yeah that's pretty good quality...   Almost got the two pigeons at 1.14 :-)....

Did you speed up the video or is your middle name Sterling Moss (I selected and age appropriate candidate).  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bookmarked for later viewing have an early start today  :Pout:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
When I first installed the car-cam it would switch on and start recording as soon as the ignition was switched on and switch off when the ignition was off. However If I stopped the recording by pressing the toggle record button the recording would stop - but then come on again a minute later and stay recording until I hit the record button in which case it would stop again for exactly one minute ad-infinitum until the ignition was eventually switched off. I had a fiddle with the camera settings and have cured this - but I'm not sure which setting did the trick.  I can now stop and start recording at will, in addition to it going on and off automatically with the ignition.

My Camera settings now are :-

Size             1920 x 1080
EV               +0
White Bal     Auto
Contrast       Standard
Sharpness    Standard
Effect           Off
Scene          Auto
ISO             Auto
Duration      15 mins
Recycle        No
USB In         Yes
Shutdown     Power Off
Video Flip     No
Motion Set    No
Mic              On

Yesterday the weather was cloudy and dull and the videos were fine. However - it is sunny today and the pictures are washed out with over-bright skies and dark shadows. There is a  slight "veil" on the picture which is being caused by the reflection of the dashboard and the A pillars on the steeply raked screen - and I may have to find a way of moving the camera to a postion behind the mirror to minimise this.

What exposure settings are you guys using and do you change them to suit the weather all the time?

Finally got around to checking the settings on mine and the differences are: Effect on "vivid", Duration on "no" & recycle on "15 min"  :undecided:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire

That's quite a load you are toting there dude, I bet you have gotten cotton pickin' mad so often when folks don't speak regular English which is the normalcy you are used to.  Unlike you I am able to shrug it off - in fact I'm good and I could care less - whatever. Even the BBC news readers slip into mid-Atlantic lingo I don't know how many times a night - you do the math - then come back here and touch base again with this thread................... :whistler:

Are you 110% sure about that?

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2011/07/15/you-cannot-give-110-effort-%E2%80%93-an-explosion-of-pent-up-nerd-rage/

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal