i30 Owners Club

2010 ,white smoke , and stinks

binz · 9 · 3534

Offline binz

• 1st Gear
Hi ,the misses has just bought this car from a dealer in the UK , unfortunately we live on the Isle Of Man and now have to put it through another test over here.
 ive read through a few threads on the white smoke on start up and am I to assume ,although its had no faults on diagnostic, its more than likely to be tried heater plugs , that unless they're knacked wont show up as a fault ?
The other problem ive got is once the car gets warm,there is such an acrid stench, that even 3 hours later I can smell and taste it still !! Agian no faults have shown that the Cat is knacked, but does this mean its on the way out or is it just clearing built up crap , cuz the misses only uses it for short journeys
 ?
Its a 2010 with 40,000 on the clock and only had an MOT in March.
Cheers kev
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I assume you are in the UK and if so, you car has a Diesel Particulate Filter. Short journeys are NOT a good idea for a car fitted with these devices. They will clog up and display a warning light on the dash. Failure to take the car for a high speed run will irretrievably clog the DPF and require a manual cleaning by Hyundai, at a cost to you.

If the car is not under any warranty, I would go to a garage and have them check / replace the glow plugs. That should stop the white smoke, unless it's something more serious.

Note, there is a glow plug indicator on the dash that MUST EXTINGUISH before you crank the engine, otherwise the engine will be hard to start and emit white smoke. Are you doing this ?
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline binz

• 1st Gear
Yeh I know about the glow plug light on the dash 😉  someone did mention the diesel filter , I take it for a blast earlier on today and can I assume thats possibly why its smelt so bad cuz it was cleaning it out a bit ?? and I'm still tasting it and I've not been I the car for hours now 😊

Cheers
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Only if you licked the exhaust.  :snigger:

With our Diesels, we can't smell anything unless the wind is blowing from the rear and our windows are open, even then, it is not very obtrusive at idle and definitely no residual taste. It is after all only 1.6 litre motor, compared to a truck, very few emissions.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi binz

:wttc:

What a crappy dealer sells you a diesel with the DPF when you only use it for short journeys.. didn't they ask about your daily driving..  :question:  :disapp:

The white smoke is most likely the glow plugs, easy enough to replace.

The smell could be the DPF if you stop the car when the DPF haven't finished the regeneration, then there will be a bad smell, but not for hours... :confused:

Unfortunately Hyundai haven't a light in the dash telling you when it does the regeneration so you might never know when it happens. If the glow plug indicator on the dash starts flashing you will need to give the car a journey of at least 6 miles with no less than 2000 rpm to force through the regeneration.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Hi binz

:wttc:

What a crappy dealer sells you a diesel with the DPF when you only use it for short journeys.. didn't they ask about your daily driving..  :question:  :disapp:

Th IoM is a small island in the Irish sea.

No motorways so a really really good blast for a fair length of time is probably not possible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man

But even tho a small island they do produce a good beer.....Okells

http://www.okells.co.uk/

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline binz

• 1st Gear
Cheers guys it all seems to be making sense now 😊 as for the beer I'm a Bushys man myself 😉  we also have a little race over here called the TT , so believe me on my roads with NO SPEED LIMITS I can take it for a really good blast over the mountain 😉😄
  • i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Th IoM is a small island in the Irish sea.

No motorways so a really really good blast for a fair length of time is probably not possible.

:link: Isle of Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But even tho a small island they do produce a good beer.....Okells

:link: Okell's

Yep, know it's an Island, but if you do 80 km/h in 4th it will run @ 2200-2300 rpm that should be possible for a 6 mile trip even at IoM  :mrgreen:

I've seen some of those fearless motorcycle drivers riding around the Island at amazing speeds...  :sweating:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
Just a thought - that rather strange. I am in UK too.
My 2011 Hyundai i30, does not have DPF fitted and I thing they were obligatory after March 2011.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal