DPF Regeneration

AlanHo · 15 · 20641

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
On the UK KIa forum thare has been much mention of the fuel consupmtion of the Ceed 1.6 CRDi car - which I thought had the same power train as the current i30 1.6 CRDi. However they talk about DPF regeneration and its effect on overall fuel economy.

Quote from KIA forum...
As I have posted previously the car is a MY11 Ceed3 SW CRDi which is fitted with a DPF. The DPF does a regen every 300 miles regardless of use and I knew that it was due to carry one out during the trip.

Filled up before we set off thus the trip zero'd itself. After about 16 miles the trip was recording 54 mpg when I noted the DPF regen start, it lasted about 17 miles and when it had completed the trip read 44 mpg, the regen took place at a steady 70 on the M1. When we got back home the average for the trip was 53 mpg.
 Unquote

Does this apply to my September 2010 1.6 CRDi i30 - I have not noticed any indication regarding DPF regeneration. ........

If it does not apply and the I30 does not have regeneration - it seems strange that the KIA Ceed and i30 should differ in this way - yet the brochure for both cars shows identical power and fuel economy
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Pray you don't have one...

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Posted in the pictures section  :eek:

My early model Feb '08 build crdi does have a dpf, but I've never actively done anything to force a regen.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've a sept 2007 and as far as I'm aware this has never happened to me.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

So - do I have a regeneration feature on my car or not?  If so - will it become a Pain in the whatsit

And why - if I do - is the Kia Ceed different etc......?

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
If regeneration does not take you are knackered. I am sure when I checked it out only the u2 diesels had them?

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So - do I have a regeneration feature on my car or not?  If so - will it become a Pain in the whatsit

And why - if I do - is the Kia Ceed different etc......?

We don't have DPF's in OZ model but I think it was Lorian who said the DPF's Hyundai use are a high quality one that goes about it's business very steathily (if there is such a word)...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
I've got a 1.6 115 bhp diesel from Jan 08 with DPF which have done almost 96000 km. I've covered 4000 of these km and never notised that it's regenerated.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i know new model trucks have this regeneration of the muffler/dpf. i cant see why a newer model diesel car couldn't have it also.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Most diesel engines have them in Europe now to meet Euro 5 emission requirements. Having lived with a ford which had one of the earlier designed ones, it caused nothing but trouble around 70k miles. Replacement part was £1500 from Ford due to being a combination dpf and cat.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Years ago, it was acceptable for petrol engines to have sooty exhaust pipes. You could tell if a car was running lean or rich or had been highway cruising by the colour of it's exhaust. Today's petrol engines, (particularly Honda,) run so clean that the pipe are very often clean. This is due to all the efforts of car manufacturers to clean their engines. If it's possible to do this with petrol, why can't we get a significant improvement with diesel combustion. I realise it's a heavier fuel, but the prize for improvement would be the tossing of DPF altogether. The price of these devices is quite significant to the computer circuitry and the DPF itself, I think $5K, would reduce the price of the vehicle significantly. If it comes to Australia in the I30, that will be the end of diesel for me.  :neutral:

BTW This is in response to discussion which is in turbo dead @ 35k, or something like that.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I was under the impression that all petrol cars still have catalytic converters to keep the exhaust clean. I recall that in the early days these were unreliable and cost an arm and a leg to replace. This is no longer the case.

Surely the same will happen with DPF's.

The Hyundai i30 Product Manager I met at Silverstone told me that they had experienced zero manufacturing faults with the DPF's fitted to the current range of cars. The few problems they had experienced were the result of the car being used only for short journeys giving the DPF no chance to regenerate. Even then - a forced regeneration by the dealers rectified the problem in the majority of cases. Hyundai dealerships were aware that they should determine the sort of use the car is for - so that they can advise prospective buyers whether a diesel car is the most appropriate choice.

This is not confined to the Hyundai brand. I imagine that Australia will, sooner or later, adopt legislation forcing all car manufacturers to fit DPF's to diesels (like other countries have already done).

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
I understand that Kia's hung on without dpf's longer than Hyundai - but that is just hearsay.
My UK supplied / Czech built i30 CRDi auto (built 05/2010) has a dpf - regrettably.  There is no clear indication of when it regenerates, but I notice sometimes (every few weeks?) that the average fuel consumption display gets a few (maybe 4-5) mpg worse than I would expect (and a great many mpg worse than I would like of course!).  I guess that this is when the regenerating is going on.

As regards petrol catalysts - we all heard tales of dread & expense when they were introduced in early 90's.  there were fears of replacement costs, of then setting fire to long grass etc etc.  Aftermarket cats can now be bought for some cars for £60 or so.  I do recall the smell (of rotting eggs etc) in the streets in early cat days.   However I have never had to replace a catalyst on any of my cars as yet - and that included a 15 year old Clio & 11 year old Vectra that were still on original cats.
Ed
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:57:08 by Talking Hoarse »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've had to replace a couple of Catalytic Converters over the years......
Both were on my old 1990 Holden Barina and back then a genuine one was, if I recall correctly, around $500 or more.  I used an aftermarket one which cost $200 odd.
 The original only lasted 100,000k's, the aftermarket more than twice that...... :confused:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal