dwalton · 65 · 17943

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "dwalton"
Hi
That would be The Owls, Sheffield Wednesday  :P

Hi Dale thanks, my cousin follows english soccer.
I saw you posted that you have owned VW TDI & Audi A3 Diesel, how does the i30 compare? and how does the economy compare?
thanks
John

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Hi

I feel both the golf and audi where better cars, the audi being the better of the two. Not much difference in fuel usage either. Would still have the audi now but I chafed jobs and had to give it back. That's the reason I got the i30

Dale

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi,

what is ScanGuage i see people talk about on this thread

Dale

http://www.scangauge.com/

The integrated Trip Computer provides realtime feedback while simultaneously tracking three sets of trip data. The Digital Gauges give you realtime data for your vehicle and the built-in Scan Tool allows you to read trouble codes and diagnose potentially expensive problems before they get out of hand.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
Dale,

Rather than add further to the off topic bit I put in a previous post on this thread, have a look at this thread about the ScanGuage:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=537

Hope it helps explain what it is.

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Shambles"
For your information, I'm at my dealership tomorrow while they fiddle again with my radionics. While there, I'll ask them about the sensitivity of the centre rear seat sensor, and whether it can be measured/changed.

Thanks for that Shambles that would be great.

I queried the engineer who returned my keyfob to me. I explained that my 2 daughters always sat as far apart from each other in the rear (small lie) but that occasionally the warning would sound that the centre passenger wasn't buckled up. I mentioned that I wasn't too concerned but would like an idea as to what might be causing the sensor to believe the seat was occupied.

The answer was that "he'd have to read up on it". He could offer no explanation, other than the two suggestions I'd made, that of the combined weight of the two genuine passengers collectively pulling the seat cover down, or the sensor being misplaced with a bias towards one or other of the left or right seats.

Sorry mate, not much use today I'm afraid.

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
No worries mate, thanks for trying.

On a plus note whilst I was out anf about today, I had the ESP issue where the light came on saying it was off and the button would not toggle it on or off. I knew that as soon as I turned the engine off it would clear, so I took it striaght to the dealers and showed them it.
They plugged it in and managed to get error codes and are looking into these.

Will update you as soon as I get the results..

Still have this miss/lag though and it does appear to only happen in 2nd or 3rd when apply accelerator for more power.

Dale

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Dale,

Good news about the error codes.

As for the flat spot, remember you've done less than 6000km and to me that's not even run in properly. Maybe things will improve as the engine gets to it's optimum condition.

One thing you could try, is to disconnect the battery for an hour or so. I'm sure I read somewhere that would reset the ECU and force it to relearn your driving habits. It's probably bunkum but might be worth a try, particularly if it's an ECU issue that you have...? I'm just guessing for you now...  :)

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
I am thinking about getting on the filters in the earlier posts to see if that makes a difference. Found one for about £35.

Both my brothers are mechanics so will see if they can get it cheaper through their garages...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Still have this miss/lag though and it does appear to only happen in 2nd or 3rd when apply accelerator for more power

Make a note which gear, Revs and MPH.
Post it here and I'll see how mine reacts.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As for the seat problem, shouldn't be too much of a problem to snip the sensor wire  :D  (click the thumbnail)

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
I was wondering if they could turn off the alarms off with a change to the onboard computer..

Dale

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

As for the seat problem, shouldn't be too much of a problem to snip the sensor wire

Bit drastic! and safety issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "eye30"
Bit drastic! and safety issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drastic, yes. But if it stops the chiming then isn't that better for safe driving, not to have that sound?

It's only the centre seat that needs decoupling after all  :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

As for the seat problem, shouldn't be too much of a problem to snip the sensor wire

Being serious - By cutting the wire will this not have an affect on the ECU and possibly disable the car?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "eye30"

Being serious - By cutting the wire will this not have an affect on the ECU and possibly disable the car?

I'll go outside right now and unplug one of those sensor blocks to see what happens.

EDIT:

Right, I uncoupled the left hand block (the larger of the two) and the display showed left and centre seats occupied and correctly buckled up (ie. two green lights). So, it would work to disconnect the centre seat as it appears to the i30 as "seat in use and buckled up".

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Right, I uncoupled the left hand block (the larger of the two) and the display showed left and centre seats occupied and correctly buckled up (ie. two green lights). So, it would work to disconnect the centre seat as it appears to the i30 as "seat in use and buckled up".

Thanks for checking that out.

Have you ever thought about giving up your day job and becoming a Hy engineer.

You can't be any worst than what you've already met up with. At least your ideas/DIY fixes work.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well for Dale's purposes, it would get him through the "put up with it until you can get back here" stage at least.

But I can't see Hy wanting to disassemble the seat to replace/adjust the weight sensor, and I can only see Dale getting more and more annoyed. If it were me, I would snip the cables that reports "centre seat in use" to be honest. Ok, so it would show green but at least it wouldn't chime like Big Ben throughout the journey  :D

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Don't think I'll be cutting or unplugging anything just yet. Want them to fix it, I will get it sorted eventually.
Thanks for the advice though guys

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi All,

Forgive the intrusion. Without an i30 I can only guess what is wrong.

It looks like an ECU/software problem to me.

I have a similar system in my Mazda3 only difference is mine works. (That is not meant to be any sort of put down believe me.)

Does anyone have another Hyundai model with a similar rear seat belt monitoring system to compare??

When ever I start off with empty rear seats all 3 rear seat indicators are red for a minute or so and then switch off automatically.

When ever one or two seats are occupied I get the reminder for the empty seat/s until the timer runs its course and the reminder display/sound system switches off.

If other Hyundai models have a system that allows for unoccupied rear seats than the problem is with the i30 setup. If other models have the same problem as described here then Hyundai has a large problem. If only the i30 has this problem Hyundai should be able to come up with an ECU software upgrade with any luck. They do need to be chased to get this right. I have the impression from other threads here that the various national sales companies are not supported with local ECU experts. (It seems to be a problem with Mazda too.) To be fair they should not need to have local experts if they have good communication with the Factory and system designers.

A properly working reminder system will save lives. Disabling the currently useless system will not.

Sorry if that seems a bit strong. Having survived a serious crash caused by an out of control Hoon my wife and I are here because we used Seat Belts. My wife was in the back seat and persuaded her fellow passenger who usually did not bother to belt up to do so. Although injured they both survived because of that. Rear seat reminder systems that work properly are just as important as front seat systems.

Hyundai has made a good start by installing a reminder system with the potential to save lives for the i30. Dwalton is right Hyundai  needs to make it work properly for everyone.

Please do not let Hyundai off the hook until they get this right for all i30 owners.

Offline Shamsis

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Swadlincote, UK
I have never had rear seat belt reminders, mine work this way -

"Put your seat belt on"
"No"
"Get out"

It has never failed yet. We have worn seat belts since we were old enough to be in the car, I couldn't imagine even driving down the drive without it on. I refuse to take people who won't belt up.
  • Prius

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Dwalton, have you tried different fuel from another servo?  Only other variable I can think of is injection timing, I dont really know but maybe if the cetane rating of the fuel is too low the injection timing momentarily retards until the boost comes on properly?  Just a wild guess here...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "Shamsis"
I have never had rear seat belt reminders, mine work this way -

"Put your seat belt on"
"No"
"Get out"

It has never failed yet. We have worn seat belts since we were old enough to be in the car, I couldn't imagine even driving down the drive without it on. I refuse to take people who won't belt up.

Shamis, i agree, i think we have a generation of boy's and girls that need to be told everything, like walk through any building and there will be warning sign's every where.
i don't have any of the bell's and whistles as how i see it is too many tricks and you trick yourself, or keep it simple stupid ( the KISS) ;)
But i think if you have kid's in the back might be good to know if they are indeed belted up.
cheers Lakes

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "LuciferDarklord"
Dwalton, have you tried different fuel from another servo?  Only other variable I can think of is injection timing, I dont really know but maybe if the cetane rating of the fuel is too low the injection timing momentarily retards until the boost comes on properly?  Just a wild guess here...

Thats good reasoning Lucifer, i'm not sure but the last two tank fulls i went to Caltex Vortex premium Diesel the motor seems to like it. but i'll wait till i can check economy see if there is a gain or not.
also thought i would note i only have 8,500k on this motor so might only feel better as the motor is wearing in?

Offline Shamsis

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Swadlincote, UK
Quote from: "Lakes"
But i think if you have kid's in the back might be good to know if they are indeed belted up.
cheers Lakes

Staple them in!

:)
  • Prius

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Hi,
I have tried various fuels from different garages, made no difference. I am just trying to sort out a K & N filter to see if that makes a difference.
Car booked in for next week so they can look at the error codes. Don't seem to be having much luck with anything I buy, my iPhone is playing up now thanks to Apple. :(

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Morning Guys,

Update for you.

1. The jerk does appear to be the turbo lag as described earlier in this post. It on happens around 2000 revs.
2. ESP turning off on its own and the switch not toggling or making a difference.
    This happed the other day whilst I was out so I took it to the garage and they put it on the computer and code quite a    
    few error codes. Called the dealers the other day and the codes are something to do with the steering alignment and  
    something to do with a brake switch???? Anyhow I have it booked in for next Wednesday so they can have a look at it.
    The have also agreed to give me another I30 like mine for a day or so, so I can see if the jerk/lag happens in that.
3. Seatbealt issue - Still no solution. I am going to ask them if its possible to turn off the audiable warning, if they hook it up
    to their computer.

I also read somewhere on this forum that other I30s doors auto lock at a certain speed. On mine this does not happen. Is this feature not available in the UK? was going to ask them when it goes in if they could do anything.

Also, how much is a 2nd Key fob. The reason I ask is the other day I locked the car with the fob and left the fob in the office. I had to unlock the car with the spare key and it didnt deactivate the alarm.??? Very embarrasing in the middle of town..

Cheers
Dale

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I also read somewhere on this forum that other I30s doors auto lock at a certain speed. On mine this does not happen. Is this feature not available in the UK? was going to ask them when it goes in if they could do anything.

I had mine done when they reprogrammed my FREE second keyfob. They called it "speedlock" whereas I called it HALO (Hyundai Active Locking Operation). My doors now autolock at 10mph

Also, how much is a 2nd Key fob.
Got mine free simply by asking for another one. Actually, that's a lie. It took me nearly 4 months of hard work to convince Hyundai to get me one. If you paid, it would be expensive, around £230 reprogrammed if I remember correctly.

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The have also agreed to give me another I30 like mine for a day or so, so I can see if the jerk/lag happens in that.

I also read somewhere on this forum that other I30s doors auto lock at a certain speed.

Also, how much is a 2nd Key fob.

I'll be interested in the reply Re jerk as I still get it and as my cars going in for 1st service end of Sept I'll get them to look at it.

My door auto locks at 15 mph.  This has been on since the day I picked it up.
I'm told that there are 2 setting 10/15 or 25/30 mph.

2nd fob.
Like Shambles I eventually got a FREE one. You may need to write to the MD of Hy UK (see other postings on site put 2nd fob or remote in search for the thread).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal