i30 Owners Club

Aus DRL supplier. Any ideas?

tris · 11 · 4246

Offline tris

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hello everybody,

As everyone is probably aware by now that all Australian i30 models do not have the LED daytime running light as an option.

I am interested replacing the existing fog unit with a new unit with LED daytime running lights but can anyone recommend a reliable parts store who you have previously dealt with and know that they sell quality parts?

• 2012 Hyper Silver 1.8 Premium Auto

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Welcome tris. I have been around ebay for a quite a while and have not seen any as yet.

Some other members may be able to help you.

Have you considered an aftermarket non-fog light option? This thread shows the Philips 8 LED DRLs I fitted on my CW.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536

• Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome tris

Someone has recently got some replacement fogs with DRLs built in but they didn't come with the wiring loom which is needed for the Australian models (it has to be bought separately I think)

I'll try and find a link..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
Kspec have a kit, but the wiring loom would be the issue as previously stated. http://kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=246&ai_id=3787

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
There's these ones, no idea of the quality though.....

:link:

Offline tris

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Thanks fellows for the feedback. I had been following: martybrisbania's quest to install these Daytime running into the i30 (https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=15643.30)  and after much hard work he had successfully done it. Again kudos to his success.

I had ordered the following fog light LED DRL with cover and wiring from: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140780780190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_9006wt_1002

....and the following Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness from: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270929531647?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2528wt_1227

These two sources had been recommended by three of my friends who they had dealt with in the past, hopefully they are right  :happydance:
  • 2012 Hyper Silver 1.8 Premium Auto

Pip
Wondering if you convert fogs to DRLs are you then risking a fine for running fogs when no fog?

What about running (brighter) front parkers instead? Of course there would need to be some extra logic to switch them on automatically as appropriate. That bit wouldn't be hard (on paper).

Is there a reason that wouldn't be an option?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:53:06 by Pip »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the UK there is legislation stating the max and min heights and the max distance in from the side of the car for DRL's.

In the UK I believe that the side lights would be too high.

You need to look into the regulations locally.

(However - since you are down under and thus upside down - yours may be too low)..... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
In the UK there is legislation stating the max and min heights and the max distance in from the side of the car for DRL's.

(However - since you are down under and thus upside down - yours may be too low)..... :whistler:

As far as I know, our DRL's have to comply with the same regs as you...  :)

Pip

As far as I know, our DRL's have to comply with the same regs as you...  :)
Ah right. Forget that then.

Rusty, you know these things, will modified fogs be accepted?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
As I understand it, the modified fogs would have to comply with the relevant regs, namely ADR 76/00 which set out the requirements for optional lamps. 
The technical requirements of ECE R 87/ 01 (which is the European standard) are incorporated into the Australian Design Rules.....  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal