i30 Owners Club

I30 2009 1.6 CRDi low oil pressure light when idling

Offline Bananaman

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
Hello comrades, i just made an account here because i have a problem with my i30 and don't know what it is, i've been researching around on the internet but can't find the exact and the right answer so wanted to ask here, maybe someone else have this problem as well.
So after i start the car there is no light for low oil pressure even when idling but around 10 minutes of driving when the car warms up my low oil pressure light comes on the dashboard but only at idle(stoplight etc..) when i drive the car the light goes away but as soon i stop it appears again and also when i rev it just a little bit in neutral at stoplight it goes away. I've read on the internet that it could be the rod bearings and even that i need engine replacement, but i don't want to panic and want to hear your answers. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 23:53:00 by Bananaman »
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi 2009 90hp

Offline Ozzibiker

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Have you checked oil level?
Is your oil old, or does it seem thick on the dipstick?
  • i30 CW

Offline Bananaman

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
Yes, i just changed the oil 200km ago the oil is almost to the full mark. Sorry i forgot to mention that.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Did you have this problem before you changed the oil? I assume you used the correct oil viscosity (5w-30) and also replaced the oil filter?

It appears that the engine has an oil level sensor, and an oil pressure switch, so I expect for the warning lamp to be off, there must be both a minimum oil pressure and minimum oil level. It is strange that you don't get this warning when the engine starts from cold, but appears when the oil has warmed up a little. Maybe the oil pump has worn a little so it can generate correct oil pressure when the oil is cold and thick, but it can't create enough pressure when the oil is hot and thinner. That's just my guess. When you give the engine more rpm the pump then delivers enough pressure for the warning light to turn off.

Maybe an easy thing to try is to replace the oil pressure switch. If you go to :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World and enter your vehicle VIN number it will show you a catalogue of parts with drawings showing where the part is fitted and the OEM part number.

I have never used an OBD diagnostic tool, but they are quite cheap nowadays so if you can get one it may tell you which sensor is causing the warning light. If it is oil pump that is the problem then it is probably quite expensive to replace, so I would try doing the cheap easy things first.
  • i30 CRD

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
If the oil light came up after oil change (200km), I would like to know if same oil was used as before the change.

My old mercedes had oil pressure gauge. It had almost 300tkm and when the engine got hot the oil pressure dropped to just over 1,5 bar. Little bit of gas and it came right back up. With obd reader you should be able to check the oil pressure with live data. But first, check that the engine has right oil in it.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Bananaman

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
This light appeared also right before i changed the oil at driven 5000km with that oil, and actually that is the reason why i changed the oil in the first place(5w-30), because of the light.
I should note that today after looking at the car carefully i found that the car was leaking oil from the intercooler that signifies a bad turbo, so could that be the reason for the light? Thank you guys.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
It could if the oil level was dropping noticeably and triggering the oil level sensor, but an oil leak in the turbo is bad news and needs fixing. If it gets too bad the engine can start running on the engine oil as fuel and it will run away out of control until it consumes all the oil or flies apart, whichever comes first.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal