i30 Owners Club

Radio problem - AM rumble

Offline Greenroome

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
G'day folks,

I'm a long time reader but first time poster, and I wanna say thanks to all of you for the help this forum has already given me.

A bit about me - I inadvertently bought a 2008 i30 CRDI hatch for my wife whilst looking for a Toyota Echo a couple of years ago. The Echos were about $8000 and tinny as all getout, and then I noticed an un-detailed i30 that had just come in to the yard. I bargained the dude down to $10,500 and drove away stoked. I liked it so much that I bought a 2009 CRDI wagon a year later for myself.

Very happy with these cars, especially the way they handle on corrugated gravel surf tracks, and on the highway with cruise control - luxury!

My problem? The radio in my wagon has recently started to rumble/grumble intermittently on AM. I've just searched for "AM radio" on these forums and none of the situations are quite the same as mine. The rumble has no relation to any other occurrences like bumps, temp, electrical interference (both internal or external), signal strength. It just rumbles over the top of the station making it un-listenable. AM is pretty important out here in the sticks.

Anyone else had this?

The radio is out of warranty btw (3 years), and I get cold sweats and tummy trouble when I think about visiting auto-sparkies.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  • 1 x 2008 i30 CRDI hatch, 1 x 2009 i30 CRDI wagon

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Rumble is just the low end of the noise spectrum. It sounds like you've developed a dry joint somewhere in your wiring. Remove, clean and reset your radio connections. Two sources are the power / earth pair and the antenna cable sheilding. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
And welcome aboard, greenroome - from surferdude on the other side of the country.  :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Greenroome

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Thanks guys.

Any idea where I might find the best step-by-step guide for getting in behind the dash?

Cheers.
  • 1 x 2008 i30 CRDI hatch, 1 x 2009 i30 CRDI wagon

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Try searching for threads involving replacement of the satnav  / dash / DIN / console. That should give you some good pictures and words for getting panels off. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal