i30 Owners Club

Lesson learnt by an amateur - Bonnet Not Opening

Offline paradigm

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Gents,

As it has become a routine of mine to now replace my headlight bulbs every 7 months or so (even using narva and all other expensive $99 set ) due to them blowing, I had dislodged the headlight assembly on the right hand side, changed the bulb, then put it back with the usual nudging, connected everything again and then closed the bonnet.

A month later I needed to check/top of the fluids, to realise that the lever to lift the bonnet wasn't popping the bonnet open. I could clearly hear something moving in the front of the bonnet, not finding much on the internet about popping open these bonnets. Also trying to poke every bit of the latching assembly with long screw drivers etc from underneath the car but couldn't since there is a plastic cover protecting the latching assembly.

Today, I took it to a mate who is a mechanic, he took off the bumper,unscrewed the latch piece from the bonnet from underneath the car and  finally opening the bonnet. Upon inspecting the mechanism he found no issue except that the cable wasn't pulling on the latch. Finally, I spotted that I didn't secure the cable sheath properly to its holder. Now its in place OK (see picture paradigmsick's Library | Photobucket )

Such a small mistake, but a big headache. Watch out for all the amateurs like me.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:16:24 by paradigm »
  • 2010 i30 CRDi (85kw) , 2006 SV8 6.0L 260+ rwkw

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
At first I could work out why the heck you would have taken the hood latch cable out of the clip,but after seeing your photo's it was obvious why,mine is nothing like that,what year is your car

57 to 5 K
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline paradigm

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal