i30 Owners Club

i30cw Auto Fuel Economy expectations (fuel capacity conundrum)

Guest · 53 · 17011

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
that's fairly good Joel.  :razz:  how many kms have you done now mate?   :razz:

just over 1,300.. I am pretty happy with this car, the only thing that bothers me is having to wait 60 seconds to shut the engine off.. Maybe the turbo lag a little too, but I am getting used to dealing with that..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've only ever owned petrol model cars,but I've always let them run for a few minutes before shutting off. and they haven't had a turbo.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

just over 1,300.. I am pretty happy with this car, the only thing that bothers me is having to wait 60 seconds to shut the engine off.. Maybe the turbo lag a little too, but I am getting used to dealing with that..

Joel

Unless you pull up straight after flogging your diesel you don't have to let it idle like that every time.. :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Joel

Unless you pull up straight after flogging your diesel you don't have to let it idle like that every time.. :cool:

Ta, yeah when I get to work I crawl through the carpark for well more than a minute getting thrugh security and finding a spot so generally I assume that is OK as I am doing little more than at idle anyway..  :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that will work.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

mick55
With regard to the DTE, others have said that it improves in accuracy I have found this to be true, I have travelled approx 600km on my current tank, DTE says around 240 km to empty. While travelling on the freewaY I noticed that DTE tended to decrease about 1km for roughly every 2km actually travelled, with the fuel guage reading halfway between 1/4 and 1/2 full.  So I agree with comments DTE is conservative, but I have yet to see it update itself to something more realistic between stop and starts. Still extremely happy with the car and its economy and I didn't even have to disconnect the battery  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Still extremely happy with the car and its economy and I didn't even have to disconnect the battery  :lol:

But just think, if you tried it you may be even happier with your fuel economy....  :wink: :lol:

mick55
Economy is getting better, now getting around 6.0l/100km with the trip computer saying 6.2l/100km

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Economy is getting better, now getting around 6.0l/100km with the trip computer saying 6.2l/100km

Now that IS Impressive for an AUTO and the heavier CW to boot  :eek:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Still extremely happy with the car and its economy and I didn't even have to disconnect the battery  :lol:

But just think, if you tried it you may be even happier with your fuel economy....  :wink: :lol:

disconnect the battery.....please explain?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

disconnect the battery.....please explain?

Disconnecting the battery for a short period can reset the ECU which in some circumstances may improve fuel economy (But mixed feedback on the site and mixed opinions too)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Anyone saying it stuffs the economy? or just that it does nothing?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

mick55
In my opinion it does nothing as I can find no hard evidence anywhere to the contrary.  The "evidence" seems to based on feelings. I need more convincing evidence than feelings be they mine or someone elses.

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

OK car getting a bit older so update my economy... (about 3,000km on odo)

City (to from work) = 8.6l/100km
Hwy/Fwy = 5.4l/100km

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Anyone saying it stuffs the economy? or just that it does nothing?

I did it and according to my trip computer, I was getting better fuel economy after..... :)

Take Mick's opinion with a grain of salt cos' he hasn't actually tried it...... :rolleyes: :P

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
ive been seeing 6L/100km a lot lately... when i got it it was a touch better...

although i think its more to do with my driving style!

Offline MartyL

• 1st Gear
I step on it a bit... love the torque curve.... so about 650 per tank... not bad for quite a bit of low flying.

mick55
Did a short 160km highway trip on the weekend got down to 5.4 l/100km a new record for me, sitting on a steady 110- 115kmh and heavily loaded up.  I have now done 5,500km.  It is very noticeable that short trips kill the economy if 6.0l/100km is thirsty :D Love the economy and torque, loaded carefully there is also plenty of cargo carrying capacity, not missing my V6 wagon at all!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great result for an Auto Mick :goodjob:

mick55
Filled up today after a couple of longish trips with a few short runs in between, climate air never off and fully loaded.  I have now travelled nearly 7,000 km. The tank took 48l for 741 km travelled, trip computer saying 6.2l/100km with 201 km DTE. Actual fuel consumption around 6.47l/100km.  If one takes the DTE to be accurate this means around 12-13l remaining in the tank (fuel guage indicating approx 1/4 full). Prior to this trip I filled the tank until fuel was showing at the top of the pipe.  As others have mentioned it seem possible to get 60l in with careful filling. I'm pretty happy with the idea of getting over 900km from 60 litres.  It is also worth mentioning that DTE "revised" itself during this period.  On initial filling it said approx 690km to empty, however after I had travelled arong 250km it revised to 700km to empty. Loving the performance and economy of the i30cw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad you are happy mick.. nothing can match them for the price.. :goodjob:

Offline Torquey

• 2nd Gear
  • Sydney AU

• au Australia
      Sydney

• CW SLX CRDi
Good thread testimonial. Almost got me completely convinced to go for the CW SLX CRDi (which only comes in auto here in AU)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal