i30 Owners Club

Battery charging

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi all,

Long story short, my battery became completely discharged and the car had to be jump started. I drove home about 30 minutes and shut the engine off. Tried starting the engine the next day and it started fine however to be sure I want to use a battery charger to charge up the battery.

So...couple of questions:

a) What sort of battery does the i30 use? (it's a GD CRDi) My battery charger has 3 battery type options, these beng 1) GEL, AGM 2) Lead Acid 3) Calcium. As far as I'm aware my car still has its original battery.

b) Any specific instructions as to how to go about this? The owners manual says not to charge the battery with the battery in the car, but if I disconnect both terminals it should be ok? I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with the fuse box around the positive terminal; I read elsewhere on this forum that if its damaged its really expensive to replace so I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong....

Thanks!
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Easiest way is to open the bonnet and look what type of battery you have.

I've charged pertol GD with ctek smartcharger several times while the battery was connected and had no issues.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Easiest way is to open the bonnet and look what type of battery you have.

I have, but I am not a battery expert. The battery has the following on it:

CMF 68L-DIN
12V

68Ah (20HR)
110RC

600CCA
480A

(SAE)
(EN)

That doesn't tell me anything. I suspect it's an AGM batterybut I want to be sure.
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Does your car have start stop?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Are you a member of nrme etc, they'll do battery replacement for you.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Does your car have start stop?

No it does not.

Are you a member of nrme etc, they'll do battery replacement for you.

I am not looking for a replacement, I just want to know the battery type so I can select the appropriate charging mode on my battery charger.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I would assume you have normal battery. AGMs are usually used with start stop systems. Never heard a car would have AGM without start stop. Few times when webasto or eberspächer was added AGM was used. If your battery has temperature shield, you might be able to move it and look the markings on the side of the battery. Usually larger label is on the side. All AGM batteries I have seen had good markings saying they are AGM.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal