i30 Owners Club

Window Tinting

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Whilst this story doesn't concern an i30 or even a Hyundai for that matter, its content is relevant to all drivers IMO.

My son has placed an order for a new car (A Mazda CX-3). The new Tuscon was in the mix until the story about its not so good performance in the crash testing here in Australia.
Story here. :link: Hyundai Tucson slammed over four star safety rating- Car News | CarsGuide

So anyway, he went with the Mazda.
However, he asked my advice about tinting.

He went through the usual three tier "add on" sales pitch. ie Tinting/ Interior protection/ Paint protection. Being an engineer he's fairly analytical and the 2nd and 3rd tiers were never going to get a start.
However, he knows he needs tinting $595 thanks very much and if you get it done elsewhere they'll remove door trims and that'll void your warranty in those areas. etc etc etc.
The big "Plus" was that for an extra $200 they would install Cancer Council Approved tinting and pay a % of the profit to the Australian Cancer Council.  :crazy1:

He's smart enough to know that auto glass cuts out most (but not all) of the dangerous UV rays even without tinting but his current Mazda 6 has always had tinting and he wants the new car done.

So he rang me.

His wife has an i20 which is a bit less than a year old and hasn't yet been tinted so he figured he's get both done together.

I spoke to the guy who does our cars and most of his work is with new car dealers ( :Shocked:). Which I knew.

Anyway. $400 to do the 2 cars if they are together in my garage on a Saturday morning.

He tells me the "Cancer Council" thing is pretty popular around the new car traps lately. Yet the Cancer Council (and the motoring bodies) don't mention anything like this on their web sites. And any references to UV protection are quite clear in explaining that almost all the UV rays are cut out by untinted auto glass.

Oh. And as I knew, he doesn't pull the door panels off. I've seen him work and it's pretty easy to slip the film down between the glass and the rubber (or brush) inner seal. In fact, I don't know of any tinters who actually pull the door panels.

I'm interested in others' views on all this.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I reckon they are using the 'Cancer Council' as a marketing ploy.   Report them to the Cancer Council or Fair Trading.  All sounds a bit shonky to me old son. :whistler:

With my private health insurance (AHM) my wife and I can get $50 worth of approved cancer council stuff, i.e. sunnies, hats, per year.  No mention of window tinting. :Shocked:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally, the BS the dealer is pulling would have me running a mile.

Pull of trims, warranty void. Wrong on so many levels. Even if they did pull off the door trims (which they don't) Why would it void the warranty unless they caused damage? That is akin to saying if a non dealer mechanic opens the bonet it is not covered, or a non dealer tyre fitter takes off a wheel it is not covered.

Such conduct sould be reported to the ACCC, they take that kind of thing fairly seriously.

If you want to have some fun, ask old mate if he will put his warranty voiding comment in wrighting. I bet he wont. He is just trying to ensure an extra $300 profit by creating the impression of a warranty issue that dosent exist.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Had the same thing with the local Toyota dealer when we bought my wife's car.
Re the warranty void it's only in relation to issues like squeaks or rattles or winderiissues in the doors.
I know it's all bullshit.  So does Cameron.  And he doesn't mind telling them either.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's an outright BS scam from the dealer :fum: door trims don't get removed and all good tinting is at least 98 or 99 percent UV rated, $595 for tinting is an absolute rip off let alone asking an extra $200 for some dealer BS cancer scare mongering :disapp:

I cant remember what I paid for my Octane tinting...$340 I think it was :undecided: anyway $400 to do both cars is a good deal as long as you're still getting top quality tint :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting story Trevor. Firstly, only the Active X Tuscon is 4 stars it is built in a different factory to the Active, and the two higher models.

Definitely the double deal for $400 is the way to go. I'm pretty mild mannered, but bullshit from dealers like this would fire me up!  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's Suntek film. Lifetime national warranty.  Darkest legal and so on. It's on 3 of our cars.
I know it's all bullshit.  Cameron knows it's all bullshit.  Amd eventually (after delivery), the dealer will know we kow.  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Same BS that I got too and when I went "after market" there were cars lined up from the dealership I bought from, waiting to get their "approved" tinting done.  :rofl:
They must think we're stupid.
I got quite the sales pitch too. "We see the police out the front of the dealership all the time putting stickers on cars for non-approved tint."
 :Yeah:   :rolleyes:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
SolarTint used to be the big window tinting mob in OZ.  I suppose they are still around.  Also do you remember when we used to get our cars rustproofed with Ziebart, a con that was. :crazy1:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
SolarTint used to be the big window tinting mob in OZ.  I suppose they are still around.  Also do you remember when we used to get our cars rustproofed with Ziebart, a con that was. :crazy1:
Still around, Lester. And just as expensive as ever. Normally not much less than the dealers - many of whose cars they do.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal