i30 Owners Club

Front fender material

Offline Newbie123

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I just noticed a small chip on the front fender on the passenger's side of the car and just wondering if anyone knows if its made of sheet metal or plastic. cause if its plastic I wouldn't bother getting it repaired. Looks like plastic to me but can't be sure. I didn't know when and where and what caused the chip

• 2017 GD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8, Auto, Marina Blue

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Steel.  I'd brush touch it up but is there something going on with the paint tthere?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Steel.  I'd brush touch it up but is there something going on with the paint tthere?

:whsaid: Only the Front and Rear Bumpers, Mirror Bodies and Rear spoiler are plastic as far as I am aware. (as in most cars..)

BTW  :welcumwagon:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Newbie123

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

:whsaid: Only the Front and Rear Bumpers, Mirror Bodies and Rear spoiler are plastic as far as I am aware. (as in most cars..)

Thanks guys. Do any of you guys have an idea on how much would a repair cost? Was thinking of taking it back to Hyundai

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys. Do any of you guys have an idea on how much would a repair cost? Was thinking of taking it back to Hyundai
To be honest a chip/mark like that would not be something you would get fixed by the dealer. Either you or someone else should just carefully touch it up with a small brush as Craig said (use as little paint as possible -maybe two thin coats) OR you would need to get the whole guard resprayed which would cost hundreds and could risk a mismatch of colour requiring even a greater area to be done.

You could try someone like the touch up guys (mobile dent and paint repairs)  but that could still be say $100. A can of touch up or a  paint pen might only be $20 odd and would be reusable.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No point taking it to Hyundai, they don't paint cars, they'll send it out to a paint repair shop and charge you for the trouble.

Being the whole guard would need painting I'd guesstimate :) about $400.

Offline Newbie123

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
No point taking it to Hyundai, they don't paint cars, they'll send it out to a paint repair shop and charge you for the trouble.

To be honest a chip/mark like that would not be something you would get fixed by the dealer. Either you or someone else should just carefully touch it up with a small brush as Craig said (use as little paint as possible -maybe two thin coats) OR you would need to get the whole guard resprayed which would cost hundreds and could risk a mismatch of colour requiring even a greater area to be done.

You could try someone like the touch up guys (mobile dent and paint repairs)  but that could still be say $100. A can of touch up or a  paint pen might only be $20 odd and would be reusable.  :cool:

I have just emailed my insurance company to see if they cover something like that. I reckon they don't but I guess no harm trying. I am looking at getting it repaired at a paint repair shop cause I don't want to risk doing it myself and making it worse.

Hey Dazzler, I am down in Hobart and just wondering if  there is any good ones that you know of? I just moved here months ago and google isn't helping much. The owner of touch up guys in Hobart is crooked and not available

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have just emailed my insurance company to see if they cover something like that. I reckon they don't but I guess no harm trying. I am looking at getting it repaired at a paint repair shop cause I don't want to risk doing it myself and making it worse.

Hey Dazzler, I am down in Hobart and just wondering if  there is any good ones that you know of? I just moved here months ago and google isn't helping much. The owner of touch up guys in Hobart is crooked and not available

Hi mate, I've PM'd you...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal