i30 Owners Club

Motorists could be forced to retake their driving test every five years......

Guest · 20 · 6963

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Motorists could be forced to retake their driving test every five years to protect motorcyclists
By Ashley Gardiner
September 12, 2011 11:06AM

• Drivers could retake their licences
  • Increasing numbers of motorcyclists
  • Car drivers not aware of motorcyclists
DRIVERS could be forced to retake their driving test every five years to protect motorcyclists after soaring numbers of deaths.

MPs heard increasing motorcycle use has seen a higher number of serious injuries and road deaths.

On Saturday, a motorcyclist was killed after being hit by a car leaving a Melbourne car park.

A law firm has told the Victorian Parliament there was a big need for licence refresher courses.

"Other road users need to accept that motorcyclists are entitled to share the existing road space in a safe manner," the Maurice Blackburn's principal, John Voyage, said.

"Motorcyclists are not risk-takers. These are Victorians who understand risk and take steps to mitigate it."

The firm put forward two alternatives: compulsory re-testing, or a voluntary system that would give those drivers a reduced TAC premium. Re-testing could happen every five years, or upon licence renewal every 10 years.
Major improvements also need to be made in testing for motorcyclists, it says.
"(There is) a need for testing in real road environments with infrastructure including traffic lights, level crossings and other scenario training," the report says.
Riders are particularly vulnerable to drivers who simply don't see them. The submission says a common response to a crash is: "Sorry, mate. I didn't see you".
And navigation aids and entertainment systems were distractions: "The motorist is less likely to be aware of what is happening around them and in fact almost oblivious to other road users."
Experienced motorcyclist Catherine Elliott, who was in hospital for eight months after a crash, said everyone needed refresher training.
"There is not enough training for motorists on how to look out for motorcyclists, cyclists or pedestrians.
"Add five minutes to your trip, show a little respect to others and be patient," she said.

"That way we will all be able to make it home safely."
Submissions to the inquiry have closed. Public hearings will be held before the final report is tabled in Parliament by next June.

The State Government will issue a response before any changes are introduced.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee I hope they don't bring that in down here (I would never pass)  :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Motorcyclists are not risk-takers.

Me thinks this may have been misquoted.... :whistler:

I suspect it should read: Not all motorcyclists are risk takers.... :cool:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Gee I hope they don't bring that in down here (I would never pass)  :-[

I suspect most of us would be in the same boat, Daz.... :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
"Motorcyclists are not risk-takers..."

:eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'll sum this up in 2 words:

Cash Cow

Anyway, will they have the resources to test everyone every 5 years?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Can you imagine the queue at the test centre, I think not......   Not here anyhow.  :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
eye30: it's not. For once. Still missing the point though.

The problem with Australia is that anyone holding a drivers licence for longer than 2 years can teach someone to drive. Unlike many other countries, the driver-to-be does not need to take official lessons (by a driving instructor). So the amateur instructors, who themselves were never taught properly, pass on all the bad habits and what they "think" is right to the person just learning. Compound that by a generation or six and you have the disaster currently travelling on Australian roads.

People here never heard of "progressive driving" for example. Common sense being not so common, it's not helping either.

Worst bit is you can't even blame the people driving, they don't know better and haven't been taught!!! Case in point: when my wife got her licence, the instructor said to her that all she was teaching her was to pass the driving test on the known "test circuit" used by the examiners she was going to go to.

In Australia people are taught to steer the car from A to B not to drive the car!!! It's the government's fault and they will never admit to it.

This is why resitting the exam will help very little. And perhaps turn into a cash cow with the best of intentions...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Here in Tassie it is far harder to get your license now than when I got mine .. Without looking it up I think you have to have your learner's permit for 6 or 9 months minimum, have something like a 100 hours of logged practice with another licensed driver.. know your road rules inside out etc.etc..

Although, if you already have a license from some other State or Country I think they just let you drive no worries  :whistler: (and they wonder why so many tourists are involved in accidents in Tassie  :blubber:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The problem with Australia is that anyone holding a drivers licence for longer than 2 years can teach someone to drive.

This not the case Australia wide though, as the probationary licence period, in Victoria (at least) is 4 years....  :cool:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yeah, I thought that some states may have different rules, the point remains though. People who never received proper driver training in the first place are allowed to teach. 2 years or 4 years, doesn't matter, lots of people have no idea after 30 years on the roads.

Those who have not gone through proper training will never know the difference, sorry to say.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yeah, I thought that some states may have different rules, the point remains though. People who never received proper driver training in the first place are allowed to teach. 2 years or 4 years, doesn't matter, lots of people have no idea after 30 years on the roads.

Those who have not gone through proper training will never know the difference, sorry to say.

I couldn't agree more, Hati......
I've taught a few people to drive over the years but I've always told them to get some lessons from a "professional" as well, just to make sure they haven't picked up all my bad habits.  :D

What I do find bizarre (actually, it doesn't really surprise me) is that our Safetycrats have got it in their head that we shouldn't encourage "advanced driver training" as this will result in over confidence or such.  :rolleyes:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
While I don't believe forcing drivers to retake their licence test every 5 years is realistic, one thing I've come up with that may help is to have current road rules sent out everytime we renew our vehicle rego or such.
While I suspect many would not bother reading them, there are some that would and that has gotta help, even if only a little.

There are many obscure road rules out there and judging by comments on this forum, even those of us that have an interest in driving are ignorant to rules that apply (and don't apply) to other road users such as motorcyclists and bicyclists.....

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
While I don't believe forcing drivers to retake their licence test every 5 years is realistic, one thing I've come up with that may help is to have current road rules sent out everytime we renew our vehicle rego or such.
While I suspect many would not bother reading them, there are some that would and that has gotta help, even if only a little.

The forum didn't like my answer and threatened me with exclusion so i'll write it again and hopefully change some words around.
You have a good idea. Add a questionaire to the renewal notice and include 5 questions about the road rules. They have to answer them to get their licence renewed.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

The forum didn't like my answer and threatened me with exclusion so i'll write it again and hopefully change some words around.

Please explain??  :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I'm guessing Trev used some combination of words that our host's automated antihack security took exception to. It happens sometimes, resulting in a white warning screen.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I'm guessing Trev used some combination of words that our host's automated antihack security took exception to. It happens sometimes, resulting in a white warning screen.

Yeah. We've covered it on here a few times so I knew what to do. :undecided:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The problem with Australia is that anyone holding a drivers licence for longer than 2 years can teach someone to drive. Unlike many other countries, the driver-to-be does not need to take official lessons (by a driving instructor).

In the UK you can take your driving test WITHOUT having a lesson by a professional - Paid - driving instructor.

To sit with a learner you need to be 21 and have held FULL licence for 3 years..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I agree with rustynutzs on this one. It would be impractical to retest everyone every five years without significant upgrading of drivng examination facilities and recrutiting more driving examiners.

In Queensland, practical driving examinations are taken from  a Transport & Main Roads customer service centre. These centres also provide all the other services to road users eg rego renewals, fine payments, license renewals, change of personal details, modified vehicle regos etc.  This results in the practical driving examination being only one of many services offered to the motoring public.

In Queensland, there are currently dedicated vehicle inspection centres staffed by qualified vehicle inspectors who perform annual machinery inspections, modified and imported vehicle inspections etc. They have the necessary facilities eg inspection pits, weighbridges etc and the qualified staff eg mechanics to perform what is an important service.

My suggestion would be to create dedicated driving examination centres with this "one service" focus. These centres could be staffed by driving examiners and admin staff (to process the before and after test paper work).

Of course, any government would need to pay for all of this and we, the poor old taxpaying motorist, would be the ones to feel the costs.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Ta for that..... :goodjob:

Now the penny drops.... :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal