i30 Owners Club

Steve Jobs

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Whilst I'm not personally a lover of the "other" i products, this guy was a legend.

Up our way there's a hardware store which has one of those signboards out the front and he regularly writes up some topical subject, generally with great wit.

Today it says..................

i Gone

I Sad.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
At such a young age too. A couple of days back I re-watched his classic speech delivered in 2005 to the Stanford University commencement intakers.

Quality speech in which he told three short stories. In one of those stories he recounted the initial diagnosis of his pancreatic cancer, and how having been given 3-6 months to live, had gone on to "beat it".

As a guy who was just a couple of years ahead of my era, I feel a bit saddened too  :undecided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc if you're interested (15 mins)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have bookmarked this to watch that video later (I'm watching The World's Fastest Indian at the moment)

I am not a fan of overpriced Apple stuff either (one of my brothers just paid A$3000 for a Mac Pro that would cost less than $1400 if it was any other brand)

Like you two guys I am also very saddened... For such a brilliant man with that much to live for to die at such a tender age is very sad indeed... :blubber:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :'(

Indeed a great visionary taken too early.

I love Apple, even my old 68030 Macs still work, the pricing did get to me though,  the last Mac I bought was the iMac G3 indigo, I am about to be provided with an iPad from work though :happydance:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
This Dianafication of recently dead people, whom we have never met, puzzles me...  I concede that my initial response was similar, until I pulled up short and gave myself a bit of a talking too...

It seems as if it has become quite fashionable now...  This astonishing outpouring of emotion for someone that we have never ever met, well, it almost beggars belief. 

:blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
We may never have met people but that doesn't mean they had no effect on our lives and are therefore in line for our due respect should people feel the need, if not then fine, but I think it unfair to slate others for doing so. :confused: :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
For me it's rarely the person - more the work they did, how they did it and how it affected the lives of me and my family

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Asa,

I can see where you are coming from...But as he was only about 12 or 18 months older than me it sort of hits home.. Plus he seemed like a fairly normal average sort of bloke in a lot of ways considering his amazing achievements and wealth.

I am not one to have heros but I am very empathetic and can feel so much for his family and friends  :undecided:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
This Dianafication of recently dead people, whom we have never met, puzzles me...  I concede that my initial response was similar, until I pulled up short and gave myself a bit of a talking too...

It seems as if it has become quite fashionable now...  This astonishing outpouring of emotion for someone that we have never ever met, well, it almost beggars belief. 

:blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

Who have a slated ?????   I commented on the reactions of certain Americans who are doing the candles and flowers thing as if they have lost a very close friend.  If you felt attacked in some way by that, well......   ?????   Dunno what to say.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
For me it's rarely the person - more the work they did, how they did it and how it affected the lives of me and my family

Yeah I can cope with that Steve and he did make loadsa money for lots of peeps in the computer and animation world <Pixar>   He certainly was a gifted man.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
His is/was a strange story (see the vid I posted a link to).

He gets sacked by the board of Apple so started up a new company. Apple then buys that company and he rises above the board that dismissed him :eek:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Asa,

I can see where you are coming from...But as he was only about 12 or 18 months older than me it sort of hits home.. Plus he seemed like a fairly normal average sort of bloke in a lot of ways considering his amazing achievements and wealth.

I am not one to have heros but I am very empathetic and can feel so much for his family and friends  :undecided:

Yeah I am with ya that Dazz I tend to not have Hero's...  Or I have odd Hero's such as Rosa Parks and a few others who have so impressed me by their bravery and or courage. So it might be just me.  I mean after 42 years as a registered nurse I have watched many people as they have started out on the long dark journey and had to keep a straight face if the rellies were there...  Maybe I have a distorted view of death.   

The one thing that for sure is we're all going there, no-one's getting out of this alive.   And as a final remark about Steve Jobs I would be willing to bet a lot of money that at the end he was begging to die, pancreatic cancer =pain and suffering.  So his death at the end would have been a blessing and a release.

I seem to have offended some, that was not my intent, I want to explore this Dianafication thing which has become so prevalent these days. that's all.   OK I will  shut up now.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Asa I must apologise, I got the impression you were having a go at the four of us who posted prior to you, your post did not give the impression to me that you were trying to widen the discussion to something else and so i defended our positions farily forcefully.  You have not offended, indeed even less so since you have stated your intention.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
No don't apologise Brian...  I probably didn't word it too well...  I was worried that I had caused offense in the club, thank goodness we're all good to go <phew>
  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No don't apologise Brian...  I probably didn't word it too well...  I was worried that I had caused offense in the club, thank goodness we're all good to go <phew>
  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Tru asa.
It did look like you werehaving a go at the posts of those above you. Now you've explained it. it makes perfect sense. And I agree with you.

All good mate, carry on.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now you have reminded us about your 42 years of nursing I can better understand your point of view ASA  :goodjob:

No offence taken on my part either... :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This Video that Steve directed us to is definitely worth watching ..

I'm even sadder now about his death  :blubber:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thank you for posting that.

I hadn't seen it before but I'm glad I spent 15 minutes and four seconds watching it.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal