i30 Owners Club

Alignment Issues After Lowering Spring Install

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
My 2010 I30 finally wore out the stock Kuhmos so I dug deep into my pocket and bought Michelin Super sport tires. This was the first time my car has ever seen an alignment rack. Some things I learned.

1. How can these cars come with NO camber bolts?? Before I went to get an alignment I installed some camber bolts upfront.
2. My rear camber is out -1.8 on one side and -2.3 on the other side. The only thing I can do to fix this is to buy adjustable control arms online.
3. Because of how the front strut/knuckle setup is they could only adjust the front camber to -.5...

I am super pissed at this point. I have the best tires money could buy and the shittiest alignment setup.

Anyone fixed the lack of adjust ability upfront or even the rear? Thanks

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Michael, i've had two i30 turbo Diesels, the tyre lasted about 35k miles  ( 60k kilometres ) i kept 40 psi pressure, but stock springs. if i lowered the car i would expect the wheels to go into negative camber.
i had Michelin pilot sport 3 on my first diesel 5 speed manual & they really sticked wet or dry, but before they needed replacement they went off lost there grip. bit like race slicks. the 2011 i30 turbo diesel 6 speed manual i have now has 50k kilometres tyres look to have 10k kilometres left. the i30 is hard on tyres but mine don't seem to have alignment issue & never been checked. first i30 i had had 60k miles on second set of tyres & they were still ok for another say 5k miles
yes would be nice to have fully adjustable, but for someone like myself i would never use the ability to fully adjust. should ask surferdude

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There are some people on here who have lowered their i30s. But I don't know how it affected their alignment.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I am super pissed at this point. I have the best tires money could buy and the shittiest alignment setup.

Yes, pretty piss poor of Hyundai not to take into consideration that people may "lower" their vehicle.... :whistler:

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

Yes, pretty piss poor of Hyundai not to take into consideration that people may "lower" their vehicle.... :whistler:

Get out of the thread troll. My point is that the lack of adjustability is piss poor. I've never owned a car you couldn't adjust the camber.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Responding like that will certainly encourage people to help...not!  :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Rusty, a troll :rofl:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I must say I was thinking the same thing.....They design a car to do a particular job, and for mine it does it bloody well. The set up works for 99% of the buyers, so including the things you want, would increase the cost to this 99% for something that is of no interest to them (ask the customers if they want camber bolts or a USB input, I know what would win).

If you want to modify it and take it outside what it was designed to do then you need to research the consequences.

That said, there are plenty of modified cars in Korea the answers (and parts) you seek may be there.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Remember Anne Marie & Aggro with the Troll on the end of a pencil.  :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

The set up works for 99% of the buyers, so including the things you want, would increase the cost to this 99% for something that is of no interest to them (ask the customers if they want camber bolts or a USB input, I know what would win).

You do realize having a vehicle with adjustable suspension is not a new thing and this lack of it just shows where Hyundai skimped out on cost. No adjustability works fine until you tweak something hitting a pot hole, curb, bushings wear out. You sound pretty ignorant to car knowledge so keep going on your marry way.

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

Wow, another informative post from you. Glad you are in this subforum, you really help out.

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

This is a technical subforum and off-topic posts will be channeled to a moderator who takes their job serious.

If you don't mind could you clean this thread up? Thanks for not being part of the problem.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Wow, another informative post from you. Glad you are in this subforum, you really help out.
Michael, you are over-reacting and it's not the way we do things on here. You are entitled to question Rusty on his comment but not in the manner in which you have chosen to do so.
Rusty's comment is valid. If you are of the opinion Hyundai "cut costs" in their design of the i30, why do you have one?
I don't know (nor much care now) what cars you have had in the past but I started driving at 17, owned cars since I was 18 (I'm now 65) and camber adjustment was probably available on maybe 25% of them. When I was rallying, none of my Renaults, Nissans, Subarus came out of the factory with camber adjustment. It seemed logical to me that if I wanted to modify the suspension, camber and caster adjustments were part of that modification.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

This is a technical subforum and off-topic posts will be channeled to a moderator who takes their job serious.

If you don't mind could you clean this thread up? Thanks for not being part of the problem.
Michael, you're not helping your cause.
Take the time to go back and read some history from the forum. Then lighten up (from another mod who also takes their job serious (ly).

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

The set up works for 99% of the buyers, so including the things you want, would increase the cost to this 99% for something that is of no interest to them (ask the customers if they want camber bolts or a USB input, I know what would win).

You do realize having a vehicle with adjustable suspension is not a new thing and this lack of it just shows where Hyundai skimped out on cost. No adjustability works fine until you tweak something hitting a pot hole, curb, bushings wear out. You sound pretty ignorant to car knowledge so keep going on your marry way.

Actually mate none of the cars I have owned have had them, fitted a set to an old Falcon, but that was due to the rubbish wheel alignment. I've done 90,000km in my car without an issue, so I think they are not needed. Should bushings wear out, I'll replace them. This forum has been going since 2008 and wheel alignment has not been an issue. So I back the Hyundai design.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I aim to please!  :snigger:

This might be of use to you....

(click to show/hide)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

(click to show/hide)
I can't believe you haven't read it Rusty. :wink:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

(click to show/hide)
I can't believe you haven't read it Rusty. :wink:

Does it have pictures?  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I found that if I held that book too low, I had difficulty aligning my eyes with the words.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Rusty, a troll :rofl:

Yeah always thought there was something weird about young Rusty  :rofl: :rofl: some PPL can just not see Humourous sarcism
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

I must say I was thinking the same thing.....They design a car to do a particular job, and for mine it does it bloody well. The set up works for 99% of the buyers, so including the things you want, would increase the cost to this 99% for something that is of no interest to them (ask the customers if they want camber bolts or a USB input, I know what would win).

If you want to modify it and take it outside what it was designed to do then you need to research the consequences.

That said, there are plenty of modified cars in Korea the answers (and parts) you seek may be there.

In Micheal T's defence,I'd have to agree with him,the I30 is the first cars we have had that not even the dealer can set up the wheel alignment properly.I have had both mine back to the dealers in the vane hope of them being able to do a wheel alignment so I would not be continually cutting the crap out of the insides of my front tyres,on Bruce we had to pay extra for new larger camber bolts,how piss poor is that of a manufacturer that they can't put the correct size camber bolts in to start with,anyhow the solution is there,just don't go to Hyundai for it,we went to an independant
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
I was just joking guys. I have been on car forums for longer than I would like to admit. Plus being military I don't hold much personal.

Cheers.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Rusty, you might wanna take/post a copy of that violiinist :P

(They've got hotlink protection enabled)

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal