i30 Owners Club

TA Radio problem

SimonU · 55 · 28269

Offline hyundai_on_thames

• 2nd Gear
Radio Version A-200FDE Version 1.02.EUR Firmware FD200E52.

When I phoned the dealer he said that the symptom of the radio cutting out momentarily with TA active (but without an actual traffic announcement) may well be a known issue on the i20 - but not on the i30.

In order to get it looked at I am advised to take it to a dealer. Now, how to you demonstrate an intermittent issue to a dealer? I'm thinking of making a little recording on my phone - the cutting out is particularly frequent during rush hour when there are a lot of announcements happening (presumably it is out of area announcements that cause the short cut-outs). This issue only affects radio listening and not MP3.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi all.  I had the same TA issue cutting in and out.  There is a KNOWN radio fault regarding this.  After much complaints and failure to rectify it through a less than cooperative dealer, I took it to another, who investigated the Hyundai Technical Log and replaced the radio.  It all works ok now.  If you're having problems, get your radio replaced through warranty.  It is a known fault and Hyundai should fix it.

Offline hyundai_on_thames

• 2nd Gear

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi.  Had similar TA issues - intermittent cutting in / out of the radio when the TA was turned on.  Only seemed to happen on Radio 1, 2, etc, not the local advertising radio channels.  Very odd.  After much complaining, and failure to first identify and then fix using a CD, software upgrade they replaced the radio under warranty (through a separate, more thorough dealer).  It is a KNOWN fault in the Hyundai Technical Log.  The radio was replaced some months ago now so not sure whether more recent problems are related.

Issues also experienced with the unit was overheating of the CD - failure to work properly after some period of time.  Replacement should fall under warranty.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I haven't actually put a CD in mine to see if that works. It probably does, but a USB stick is so much more convenient.

I get the odd glitch when on TA, but keep it off most of the time, as the local radio stations tend to put the tags on too long and I get to listen to their inane adverts etc.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi - thought I would resurrect this thread. 
Has anyone in UK got the answer to this?
Have the problem radios (with reception breaks - typically 1 second when TA is on) been sorted - if so how?

My CRDi is an early 2011 spec Czech car - so built around April or May 2010.  It has always suffered from breaks in sound when TA is on, so I usually switch TA off.  I have just had the car in the local dealer for a couple of days for minor snags, and added the radio problem to the list.  My dealer has not heard of the issue and doesnt have an answer.  They also say that they were unable to reproduce the reception breaks.  Although the fault was obvious to me travelling to and from the dealer, it did not manifest when I took the techy out for a run to demonstrate!

Any clues or advice welcomed.  Thanks
Ed

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This has been reported and the only solution seems to be to replace the radio

Insist they replace

see posting 31 above
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
This has been reported and the only solution seems to be to replace the radio

Insist they replace

see posting 31 above
After my dismal dealer experience earlier this year, I took my car to another dealer (ie 20 miles away) for its 1st service in May.  They couldnt get the hang of the radio fault either, adjusting the TA volume instead.  However I got back to them, they needed to see the radio again for its serial number and it was finally replaced this week.  At long last it is sorted - and I can listen to the radio with TA set to "on" now!
So thanks for all of your help & direction.  Shows that persistance pays off. :) :)

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Ohhh I get this on my radio, TA doesn't work at all, just get breaks in transmission, as others have reported. Does seem my local dealer needs a bit of a nag to do things under the warranty though, but worth a try. Might be worth me locating another dealer just in case, as saves the hassle if one is more obliging than another.
  • i30 2009, CRDi 1.6 hatch.

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Hi all.  I had the same TA issue cutting in and out.  There is a KNOWN radio fault regarding this.  After much complaints and failure to rectify it through a less than cooperative dealer, I took it to another, who investigated the Hyundai Technical Log and replaced the radio.  It all works ok now.  If you're having problems, get your radio replaced through warranty.  It is a known fault and Hyundai should fix it.

Why do I find that when I question any known faults mentioned on here, the dealers say "oh we've never come across that one before"?
I took mine in yesterday and the dealer said that I had a setting wrong (which I very much doubt), and that it works fine now. Well surprise, surprise it doesn't, I drove in to work during rush hour and kept getting breaks in radio transmission when the TA was activated, so cost me over 30 quid and achieved nothing, radio still not working properly. Rang them and they say they will need the car for a whole day to suss it out; spoke to another dealer who said they've not heard of this fault, even after I suggested they look on the above quoted log.

I can't really do without my car for a day, and am loathed to fork out more cash, when its a minor fault, albeit an irratating one, and doing over 60 miles a day to and from work, its useful to hear the local traffic reports.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Ohhh I get this on my radio, TA doesn't work at all, just get breaks in transmission, as others have reported. Does seem my local dealer needs a bit of a nag to do things under the warranty though, but worth a try. Might be worth me locating another dealer just in case, as saves the hassle if one is more obliging than another.

Radio Firmware needs an update, yep, a well known fault, replace complete radio, with the latest version firmware...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I had my radio replaced to fix this problem. There is a thread about this issue from about 3 years ago,.

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Hi all

Just an update to this; my local dealer had my car yesterday to look into this problem, and they couldn't get the TA to work, and have said they will be replacing the radio,  :happydance: and that they had found a technical bulletin relating to this. So I get a new one fitted next week under warranty!

Result!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Agoodjob: :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Result it may be, but these radio replacements are far too frequent.  :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Result it may be, but these radio replacements are far too frequent.  :fum: :fum: :fum:

Yes too true

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Yay new radio works properly; I get travel announcements; the FM saved stations are retained when I move from one area to another; and the AM works (only wanted that for the tennis commentary during Wimbledon!).  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We're happy that you're happy.  :happydance: :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I'm happy that Phil's happy that your are happy  :wacko: :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I'm happy that Phil's happy that your are happy  :wacko: :D

This could be the forum's longest thread ever.  :lol:
I'm happy that Dazz is happy that Phil's happy that you're happy.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm not so happy that you're all so happy.... :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :MeToo: :judges:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal