i30 Owners Club

Cold starting problem - CRDi

Darjm · 11 · 7225

Offline Darjm

• 1st Gear
Hi,

I've done some searching over the passed few months about my issue of poor cold starting followed by a decent amount of white smoke from the exhaust.

I keep seeing glow plugs mentioned, with comments like "replaced after 400miles" and "replaced with longer ones"

Reason i am posting is im looking for some tech heads to give me their opinion on my issue.

Like i said before, during the recent winter, the car would labour to start on a cold morning, sometimes taking up to 5-7 seconds to fire up after recycling the glow plug indicator a couple of times. There would then be a plume of whiteish smoke bellowing from the exhaust for a few seconds. Once it had started and had been run/warmed up, starting was never an issue again, it would generally fire up as soon as key was turned.

I took it into a dealership, who gleefully stated it would be a fuel filter issue, and explained that it isnt covered by warranty and i would be paying. Bearing in mind, the car has never stuttered/cut out/lost power, or had poor idling, things i would associate with a clogged or faulty fuel filter.

I went to pick the car up, and unsurprisingly it didnt turn out to be a fuel filter issue, rather they had found the torque settings on the glow plugs was wrong, and were tightened up... Strange, i thought. How loose would they have to be to have a bearing on the starting like mine did.. Anyway, it started ok, it had been driven shortly before, and i drove it home.

Two mornings later i went to start it.. Same problem. Rang dealer, got it booked in.

This time, i left it overnight, so they could see the problem for themselves. Next day i received a call to say that the techs had stuck it on the diagnostics, and found that the key fob/immobiliser was showing a fault....It required a new key, and for the immobiliser tobe programmed fo the new key. I asked if that was causing the starting problem, and was told yes. Slightly confused as to why this key problem only seemed to manifest itself 1st thing on a cold morning, then never caused me any grief when it was warmed up, i went to pick the car up.

Its not been as cold recently at night, no frost etc. First time i tried to start it, it wasnt as bad as before, but certainly didnt seem normal. I have a Toyota Hilux diesel which i can leave for weeks, and it starts nearly 1st turnover after the coild plugs indicator goes off..

I left the car a few days, and tried to start it again yesterday. It laboured to start again, to the point where the battery drained so much that it started making the clack clack noise. Called the dealer to book it in again.

Does anyone agree with me thinking that this sounds simply like a glow plug issue, wether theres a couple faulty, or none working at all. Does the replacing of the key sound unrelated? As far as i was concerned the key was behaving normally (once the car had been warmed up) Theres been no engine management lights/warning lights or anything.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I have read on this site that white smoke is unignited diesel fuel, as opposed to black smoke, which is poorly combusted diesel fuel. On that basis, I would say it is definitely the glow plugs. One of my family's cars had 4 glow plugs and 4 injectors replaced, however the injectors had to be removed from the vehicle and sent away for proper testing to determine if they were faulty, they were and at $1K each, it was an expensive warranty fix. Glow plugs are about $10 ea, so I'd ask for them to be simply replaced. If the problem is resolved, then solution found.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Darjm

• 1st Gear

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

worth a read:

The major cause of white smoke is inadequate heat.

http://www.fourthgen.net/diesel-white-smoke.shtml
=========================================

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned

http://www.costeffective.com.au/news_show.php?StoryId=9

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Glow plugs, or glow plug fuse.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
 :whsaid:

I'm sure it's the glow plugs, certainly worth a try.

Mine started to have trouble starting on cold mornings, turned out 2 glow plugs were dead.

Did your problem occur from one day to another, then maybe the fuse. If developed over time, then glow plugs.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wttc:

This problem seems to be turning your world upside down.. :P

I hope it is sorted soon  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Darjm

• 1st Gear
*********UPDATE FOR THOSE INTERESTED***********

Took it back to the Dealership, last week it was colder and the symptoms were back in full force!

Today they phoned me, with "bad news". They have found 2 faulty glow plugs and 1 they cannot get a reading off... not so bad i hear you say, then they drop the bombshell that on removing said rubbish glowplugs, they managed to break one, and apparently the end of it is now nestled in the cylinder head.

Now correct me if im wrong, but surely the end of these plugs cant get so far into the cylinder that if it broke while driving could possibly knacker the engine? So removing it must be able to be done with taking the head off?

Anyway, after pleading with them to actually test the glow plugs, it seems theyve found the problem.

The service advisor never mentioned anything about price, so id assume this will still all be covered by the warranty?!

Hope so, as it doesnt sound cheap..

Cheers

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Thanks for the update.  :goodjob2:

Allways nice to get some feedback. (and nice to see that we're still able to diagnose correct)  :whistler:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This is the second time a glow plug has broken and stuck this way. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

They broke it so don't see why it wouldn't be covered.

• Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal