i30 Owners Club

2013 GD Bluetooth music crackling

melfes · 10 · 2936

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Hi All,

Picked up my car last Friday, was hearing some harsh crackles when bluetooth streaming music. Yet my mate talked me outta it saying its just subwoofer vibrating as we were running out of time (lunch break).

Today I hooked the phone again and now I can totally hear it. Its those high frequency notes sounding really cheap (kinda like poor signal FM) as if the tweeters were blown and buzzing. I was so gutted that the car has a defect but then I pulled myself together and tested a CD and with AUX (same tracks), it was clean as!
So at least the speakers are fine.

Does anyone experience the same with bluetooth music streaming?

I use Galaxy S3 and my wife is HTC sensationXL, both exhibit the same problem.
Cheers
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What is the quality of the music on your phones.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
It seems to be perfect with iPhone and iPad, but I got very crackly, unclear sound when I first connected my MacBook to it.
Looked it up online and apparently the bit pool is set relatively low on the MacBook from factory, to make it more compatible with other Bluetooth devices. This is basically the bitrate that the data is transferred over Bluetooth. After I figured out how to adjust it up, the quality was perfect..
Maybe it's a Bluetooth adjustment on your phone?

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
No such issues. I use an iPhone 4S and great playback.  Occasionally it trips up and there's a gap in the streaming for half a second... but rare.  Dumb question, but is it only B/T streaming, or is FM, CD, USB OK?  Maybe Hyundai have a firmware update??

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just quickly googled it, the bitpool on an s3 is set to 32 by default. You can change it though.
I set the one on the MacBook to 50. It now puts out better sound over Bluetooth than my iPhone.
You can keep edging the bitpool up to get even crisper sound quality but after a certain level, cheaper Bluetooth headsets used with your phone won't be able to utilize the higher bitpool, hence will no longer work with your phone.

Here's the link anyway :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1991498

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
No such issues. I use an iPhone 4S and great playback.  Occasionally it trips up and there's a gap in the streaming for half a second... but rare.  Dumb question, but is it only B/T streaming, or is FM, CD, USB OK?  Maybe Hyundai have a firmware update??

CD FM all good. Speakers are good. Im pretty sure its my phone's bluetooth bitrate too low or rather.
  • i30

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
What is the quality of the music on your phones.  :question:

320kps pretty high. Now I know its not the tracks cuz via AUX they play awesome
  • i30

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Just quickly googled it, the bitpool on an s3 is set to 32 by default. You can change it though.
I set the one on the MacBook to 50. It now puts out better sound over Bluetooth than my iPhone.
You can keep edging the bitpool up to get even crisper sound quality but after a certain level, cheaper Bluetooth headsets used with your phone won't be able to utilize the higher bitpool, hence will no longer work with your phone.

Here's the link anyway :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1991498

Thanks a lot! what you said gave me a lot of insight.
Now I have found the file allegedly responsible for the bitrate setting. But I couldnt write the setting correctly. Opened with Notepad ++ suggested in the link, however, lots of gibberish/ incorrect words were displayed.

Wonder if you can have a go and write the bitrate to 50 for me, if you could? File compressed so that can be uploaded

Cheers!!
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do you know whereabouts in that binary file the bitpool value is (ie, what byte offset)?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Im afraid now.
Heard the default is 32. Did a search and found one followed by bit.  Presumed that was n changed to 50.
Hooked up with hyundai no improvement still cackles
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal