i30 Owners Club

i30 cw wagon interior door handle fault? Sharp edge and cut finger

Offline smalltowngirl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Coogee
Hi there

Had a passenger open the front passenger door to get out of the car on the weekend, and she sliced her finger on the interior door handle!

I googled it to see if anyone else has reported the same thing happening and found the below for the Hyundai Sonata (US) which was recalled for EXACTLY the same reason:

"Top edge of the handle has very thin chrome plating, that portion of the plating may wear away more easily than more thickly plated areas as the door handle is used. The worn chrome plating on the upper edge of the handle may result in a crack or separation between the chrome plating on the inboard and outboard surfaces of the handle, which may form a sharp edge.

Hyundai is recalling 91,000 Sonatas because the chrome plating on the upper edge of the interior handle may wear, "causing cracking or separation between the chrome plating on the inboard and outboard surfaces of the handle." NHTSA says the sharp edge can cause "laceration injuries to anyone using the door handle."

My Hyundai i30 cw SLX wagon is only just on 2 years old (FY11 model), and is in perfect condition/well cared for.

Has anyone else had this problem with a recent model Hyundai (i30 or not)? I spoke to Hyundai Australia about it and they didn't seem to think it was a problem. Tell my friend that.

Cheers
  • FY11 Hyundai i30 CW SLX CRDi 4sp Auto Wagon, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome smalltowngirl..

Embarrassing for you and not nice for your friend.. It is not a common fault but several owners on here have had the inner chrome handles replaced after the chrome finish has peeled or they have cut themselves on it... (warranty fix)

Mine started to crinkle up a bit on our 1st i30 (font passenger door) but we didn't get around to getting it swapped before we swapped the car...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline smalltowngirl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Coogee
Hi Dazzler

Thanks for coming back to me (and the welcome :) )

Hmmm. Interesting. While it didn't warrant amputation, it was a good slice and certainly required a large bandaid and a cider!

I called the dealership and mentioned it to them. I have to take it in to have another recall issue fixed (the faulty dashboard indicators), so they'll look at it at the same time.

As much as anything it's disappointing: the door handles are not in fact chrome - they are plastic, covered in more 'chrome coloured' plastic.

I too would have traded it in with issue in tact, however I recently took it in to swap it over and that transaction took a whopping step back when they told me they would only give me $15K for my 2 year old wagon (< 15,000km). Have already winged about that elsewhere on the forum..lol

So, I'll see what the dealership say. In my mind, it should definitely be covered by warranty. Good to know that I'm not alone here though.

Cheers again

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Glad their looking at the problem for you, $15 K sounds about right as a trade(and if it's a petrol thats a huge trade in),better than what their offering most PPL
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline smalltowngirl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Coogee
Thanks Rick

Will have to see what they say. As mentioned, it seems I'm not alone when it comes to suffering re-sale shock (the medical term for falling off ones chair with breathlessness and angina, post trade in discussion). My comments on this are here (as are other peoples).

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=23229.msg248875#msg248875

Cheers

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome smalltowngirl.
I was one of the lucky few who had their finger sliced by the offending interior door handle.
It was replaced without question under warranty and following two years' worth of therapy I'm just about over the deep trauma caused by the incident.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Sue, welcome to the forum.

Injury caused by wear-and-tear should be given the highest priority by your dealer, in my book. It could so easily have been a small child's hand.

Could you possibly take a few photos (of the handle) and post them here? If nothing else, it'd form a record of your concern and would be something we can show to Mr H, if they decide it's not a serious warrantable repair.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Those who like me went for the 'Poverty pack' recieved the 'naked' door handles not wrapped in the exotic artificial chrome....Sometimes it is good to be a cheapskate, despite what Mrs Beer tells me  :twisted:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Welcome smalltowngirl.
I was one of the lucky few who had their finger sliced by the offending interior door handle.
It was replaced without question under warranty and following two years' worth of therapy I'm just about over the deep trauma caused by the incident.  :lol:

Did they replace your finger with a new one - or was it refurbished...........and where did you get the warranty work done?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Welcome smalltowngirl.

Did they replace your finger with a new one - or was it refurbished...........and where did you get the warranty work done?

:rofl:  Yes, that wasn't brilliantly worded, was it?
New door handle, DVG Midland.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I like the artificial chrome handles :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline smalltowngirl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Coogee
Hearing you there Beerman.. not only did you save yourself cash on excess plastic, with that kinda forward thinking, you also managed to save it on bandaids. Nice work. I guess it wasn't just the fake plastic door handles I was paying the extra for though.. :winker:

DB, was talking about it to another friend today and she said 'oh yeah - I did that when getting out of your car too. Just forgot to mention it'.. Sheesh! Wonder how many more victims it has out there?! Sorry you had to suffer in silence - all those years, though I dare say you woulda ushered a few colourful phrases afterwards.. lol. Glad to hear it was covered by warranty (phew).

And no probs Shambles - will get on to it tomorrow (though you'll have to point me in the direction of where I should be uploading/sending them too)

ouri30
Haven't had any issues with our FD SLX or the ix35 Highlander, but have had the front handles replaced on our daughter's i20 (a known issue) under warranty.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

But they didn't like Dave or smalltowngirl's friend, did they  :snigger:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Ours are beautifully smooth and pleasant to touch, I hope we're not going to be disappointed in the future.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

But they didn't like Dave or smalltowngirl's friend, did they  :snigger:

That's a cutting remark.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal