i30 Owners Club

Missing impossible - get a swim key for 2013 i30

Offline PawelPabich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi,

I've called/visited literally 12 locksmiths + a Hyundai dealership and I've told that it is impossible to make a key that only opens the car and  I can take with me for swim.  I find it hard to believe but I'm running out of ideas.

Has anybody managed to get a key like that with a 2013 model? If so, can I get the details of your magician  :) ?

Thanks

Pawel
  • i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Not sure, but am I correct in saying UM did something along these lines at some point?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I know Trev (surferdude) did but that was for an FD....  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline PawelPabich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So it took me only 5 weeks to get the key :).

Recipe:

1. Call Parts Department of your dealer and ask for a key insert. It should cost you $10.  My mistake was to talk initially to some random person who told me that they don't have blank blades. Call the parts department directly.
2. Go to a locksmith and ask them to cut a key and make a hole in it so you can attach a key ring. Without it you would need pliers to use the key which might looks suspicious :)

• i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
so this works fine no need for the electrical side of the keyfob,so everything manually
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think you still need the standard key, once inside, to start the car. The swim key is just so the main key is not lost / damaged by water.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PawelPabich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
This is correct. This key simply lets you open your car but you won't be able to start it with it.
  • i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Glad that worked out for you.
The Hyundai spare parts dep't was where I started my search nearly 4 years ago. For exactly that bit.
They had one available - $115.  :faint:. Actually turned the screen round so I could see it.

Price seems to have dropped.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :wtf: For less than that you could go to an engineering workshop & get a SS one manufactured, with a handle too.  :eek:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:wtf: For less than that you could go to an engineering workshop & get a SS one manufactured, with a handle too.  :eek:
Yep.
Which is why I went the locksmith route.
I'm still not sure why Pawel couldn't get a key cut when I gave him the Toyota blank # to use.
I'd be interested to know what happened there.

Offline PawelPabich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I was told by all the locksmiths I visited that the Toyota blank works with i30 2012 but not with 2013. The pattern on the blank blade is different. It's symmetrical for 2012 and asymmetrical for 2013.
  • i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My 2013 car key has an identical pattern on each face of the blade.  It goes into the lock either way up.

However the pattern on the left side of the key blade face is not a mirror image of the pattern on the right side.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Munno Para, South Australia
    • My Personal Photography page. Feel free to "like"!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What about: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Aloksak-5x4-Waterproof-Sandproof-Airtight-Pouch-Bags-LOKSAK-Camera-Keys-/190879139895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c71488837 ?

Simple solution
Yes. But unfortunately they DO fail. And it only has to happen once.
Fair point... was an idea. Pity they are not fail proof
I know a few people who have or do use them under their wetsuit. Over a few years I havebeen made aware of three failures.
It's a subject of discussion every so often on my surf forum. You can also get a safe  lock which holds your key and clamps through a wheel or onto a suspension arm under the car.
The non transponder key solution has always worked for me. With Holdens, Falcons, Subarus, Nissans and now i30s.
Re the "new" 2012 key layout I'm a bit surprised. If I understand that correctly it means the key will only go into the ignition one way up. A bit annoying in the dark.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No, apparently it goes either way. It might be a sneaky duplex code required to start the car.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No, apparently it goes either way. It might be a sneaky duplex code required to start the car.
But the swim key doesn't need to start the car. :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, we need to confirm that the swim key is in fact different on each side as well. The security to gain entry to the car, is obviously much less than the security required to start the car, no transponder required.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, we need to confirm that the swim key is in fact different on each side as well. The security to gain entry to the car, is obviously much less than the security required to start the car, no transponder required.
I agree. But.............. if the key will go in the ignition, surely it will go in the door. My surf key will go in the door, lock and unlock it and also go in the ignition, turning far enough to power accessories (radio etc) and ignition lights on the dash. It just doesn't have a transponder to communicate with the ECU.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unfortunately, I don't own this model of car, or have a swim key AND I'm not a locksmith. I do have 2 i30's here and each key will happily go into each other's locks. PITA, when you've got the wrong key. However, as you would expect, the spring loaded tumblers don't align correctly, so no turn possible. So the question is for the vehicle we are discussing, does the swim key actually turn the ignition and crank the engine, or does the lock give you limited movement to ACC position only.  :Dunno:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Unfortunately, I don't own this model of car, or have a swim key AND I'm not a locksmith. I do have 2 i30's here and each key will happily go into each other's locks. PITA, when you've got the wrong key. However, as you would expect, the spring loaded tumblers don't align correctly, so no turn possible. So the question is for the vehicle we are discussing, does the swim key actually turn the ignition and crank the engine, or does the lock give you limited movement to ACC position only.  :Dunno:
Well, for mine it does crank the engine. Just won't fire up.
Which is exactly what I wanted.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal