i30 Owners Club

Handbrake adjustment - 2010 Elantra Touring

zero10 · 12 · 10545

Offline zero10

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Calgary, AB, Canada
I have an issue with my 2010 Elantra Touring, when you release the handbrake it doesn't go all the way down.  You can push it down but it springs back up just a little bit.  In warm weather this is no big deal as it is just a couple mm that it bounces back, but when it's cold out it springs back enough to trip the brake warning light on the dashboard which gets really annoying since it only bounces up just high enough as you go over bumps in the road (so your DRLs flash on and off along with the warning light on the dash).  The hand brake is engaging properly and releasing properly, it just seems that the cable is set incorrectly.  It has been like this since the car was brand new, but only this year has it gotten bad enough to trip the warning light while driving (and of course, now I'm off warranty)

I would normally check for a guide on adjusting the handbrake on hmaservice.com but since they went pay I can't do that any more...  Does anybody have a guide or tutorial for adjusting the handbrake so I can correct this?
  • 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Rather than messing about with it just get it sorted by the dealer under warranty.

however, if you want to look at doing it yourself on the fd, 1st model, then in the arm rest at the bottom you lift up the rubber mat and you gain access that way plus i think at the back there is an access plate which can be pulled off.

it been covered on here so if you do a search you should find it

Edit
Try this link

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1385.msg11687#msg11687
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 16:32:54 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline zero10

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Calgary, AB, Canada
Rather than messing about with it just get it sorted by the dealer under warranty.

however, if you want to look at doing it yourself on the fd, 1st model, then in the arm rest at the bottom you lift up the rubber mat and you gain access that way plus i think at the back there is an access plate which can be pulled off.

it been covered on here so if you do a search you should find it

Edit
Try this link

Handbrake adjustment?

Warranty on "adjustments" is only 1 year, and the comprehensive warranty is only 3 years, I'm well past both of those as I mentioned in my original post  :P

That link doesn't really add much, except that it's adjusted through the armrest under the mat.  Is there any specification I need to know?  Free play?  Torque on fasteners?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Here is a print out of the handbrake adjustment technique. The info you require is at the end of the documemt. Hope this helps.

Microsoft SkyDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Web
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There's something wrong here besides adjustment IMO.
The lever shouldn't ride back up and I can't quite picture how cable adjustment will rectify that.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling

Offline zero10

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Calgary, AB, Canada
Here is a print out of the handbrake adjustment technique. The info you require is at the end of the documemt. Hope this helps.

That does help, thanks!  Any hints on removing the floor console?  It doesn't look too tricky but I figure it's better to ask now then miss something :)

Offline zero10

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Calgary, AB, Canada
I just posted about the same problem with my i30

Handbrake Warning Light

I'd say we are in the same boat.   Mine has done it since the day I bought it, initially it was just a mm or two it would bounce back and they told me it was nothing to worry about.  It's gotten worse over the years and now I'm out of luck warranty wise so I might as well fix it myself.  If it's not a simple adjustment at the lever it'll probably get left until the spring when I take the winter tires off and have the car in the air already unless something else comes up first.

In your case I'd say it is extremely unlikely that new brake pads will remedy the situation, same with mine as they are still well over 75% and are original.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

That does help, thanks!  Any hints on removing the floor console?  It doesn't look too tricky but I figure it's better to ask now then miss something :)

Console removal instructions for Model FD, Manual

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Here is an interesting recall which may relate to this issue:

http://www.recalluk.com/recalls/cars/hyundai-i30-parking-brake-recall-2013.aspx
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here is an interesting recall which may relate to this issue:

http://www.recalluk.com/recalls/cars/hyundai-i30-parking-brake-recall-2013.aspx

Thanks, but please note they write that the problem is with the rear brake calipers, and only cars build Jan - Feb 2012, hence this recall must be the GD i30, as the FD i30 have drum brakes for handbrake.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline zero10

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Calgary, AB, Canada

Console removal instructions for Model FD, Manual

Thanks so much!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal