CD Slot Mount for Sat-Navs etc.

AlanHo · 46 · 16399

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Does anyone have any experience of these. I never use the CD player so at last the slot would have a purpose.

CD Slot Mount; £9.95 free delivery sat nav phone holder UK lowest price
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
But Alan, how the hell will you be able yo listen to your Joseph Locke and Vera Lynn all time favourite CD's if you bllock up this opening  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have them on a memory stick - a really old memory stick................. :kissmyass:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Doesn't that block your display? I prefer my arrangement. :Pout:
FD Top Pocket GPS Dash Mod Phase 2
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hmmm.. I quite fancy that gadget.

I could use it as a mount for one of my cameras :)

Oh, hang on...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I use one of these its great.

What I could do with is a usb output in the TOP of the dash  :lol:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Hi Paul,
Where did you get that mat from?
Regards
Michael

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Jve had ones like that Mantaray and they have all broke, that's why I went for the mat.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
I got this one and its great, bit dearer but great,
Mountek nGroove Grip Universal CD Slot Mount for Smartphones and GPS Devices

This is what I saw from the internet a while ago, it can hold cell phone, GPS & pad computer...  :D

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I got this one and its great, bit dearer but great,
Mountek nGroove Grip Universal CD Slot Mount for Smartphones and GPS Devices

This is what I saw from the internet a while ago, it can hold cell phone, GPS & pad computer...  :D

Yep, that looks pretty cool, I am gonna talk myself into buying one of these, me thinks  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've been looking at those Mountek devices this morning - they look like they'll hold an elephant in place.

Which has just reminded me to call the missus...

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I think that the structural weakness is the section that slides into the CD slot. I read on another forum that of necessity the projection is thin to allow the securing "hook" to be slid through the slot. Hence it is a loose fit and suffers from vibration as the car is driven and ultimately breaks. I imagine that if you are like me and never use the CD drive you could easily find a way to stuff a packer in the slot to stop the mount from bouncing.

My sat nav is mounted on top of the dash but I may get one of these CD mounts for my phone. I will await asa's road test.......... :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I think that the structural weakness is the section that slides into the CD slot. I read on another forum that of necessity the projection is thin to allow the securing "hook" to be slid through the slot. Hence it is a loose fit and suffers from vibration as the car is driven and ultimately breaks. I imagine that if you are like me and never use the CD drive you could easily find a way to stuff a packer in the slot to stop the mount from bouncing.

My sat nav is mounted on top of the dash but I may get one of these CD mounts for my phone. I will await asa's road test.......... :goodjob:

OK Alan...  I  hear what ya say and like you I keep my Joseph Locke CD's in a thumb drive so the wedge is a good idea.  I am scanning my computer bits n bobs bag as I type I am sure I will find something appropriate.  This would allow me to warm air remove the excellent dash top sticky ony thing which you kindly sorted me out with.
I am on my way to order it now...

watch this space :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
A early update....

I have ordered the CD slot device now, however, it has to come from the US of A the one from Japan was VERY expensive.  From the US it is £16 and £8.50 postage (lets hope I don't get slammed with import duty  :sweating:...

Anyhow, to address Alan's well reasoned concerns about the tongue being a weak spot when it vibrates in the CD player mouth, I read some of the bumph as I ordered it and it appears that it is made from metal and can be somehow tightened and then released with a quick release mechanism.  So, I feel a tad more optimistic.   

As I say, watch this space, with the proviso that it's coming from Merika so it may be a week or so  :goodjob: :goodjob: :victory: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I hope you've been watching this space Alan cos I am about to save you some money  :lol:

As you will readily see it is nowhere near large enough to hold a Garmin sat nave.  Just a phone mount really.   If I wanted to use my phone as a sat nav, which I could like most others do, I already have a Samsung mount in the boot/trunk for that purpose.

So, ten months to Christmas and I already have the first Christmas gift for some lucky bugger  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Asa, doesn't the mount swivel, to hold the Garmin top and bottom (rather than side-by-side) ?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Asa, doesn't the mount swivel, to hold the Garmin top and bottom (rather than side-by-side) ?

I'll have another go Steve....   This old age malarkey sure makes life interesting  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now you mention it, there is an item which is removable and I'll bet that is what it's for.

I am in Flintshire tomorrow, so, if your correct (and I suspect you are) I will give it a proper run out and report back.

So, as Rebecca Brooks would have said "Hold the presses"..............

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did you get hit for customs duty?

Which supplier did you use (via Amazon? or was it Mountek.com), as you seem to have received it quite quickly.

EDIT: sod it, ordered via Amazon from Mountek USA. Est delivery date 24/03/2014 :eek:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Amazon market place Steve...   and customs must have waved it through. 

Unless I get my door kicked down by the excise men  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Postage was eight pounds odd, and it took around a fortnight (for our continental friends that's two weeks).   You were quite right, I watch the vid and the pully offy thing made it fit the garmin broad side on.  I am still not one hundred % about it yet, as I say tomorrow I will do around 140/50 miles and if all goes well I will be removing the sticky on plastic disk thing on my dashboard (carefully)  :victory:

The total cost to me £24 UKPs, the item being £16 UKPS...     

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
it took around a fortnight (for our continental friends that's two weeks).   
OR
14 sleeps.........unless you look like my avatar  :rofl: :rofl: :victory:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I hope it turns out OK asa. As it happens, it would not be practical to use the CD slot mount in my car - so I have mounted my Nuvi on a disk stuck to the top of the dash to the right of the steering wheel and opposite the door pillar (my car has a triangular window at the front between the door and A pillar) in such position that it is line of sight with the thick A pillar and not taking any windscreen area or front side window area.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah it'll be good in the i30.

Maybe now I'll start using my satnav again, providing it can "see" the satellites where the mount point is going to be :lol:

Another great recommendation from Asa, in my book :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Well Steve, grateful as I am for the good publicity I have to pay credit where credits due.

AlanHo please step up and take a bow.   Ladies and Gentlemen and brethren all our most effective member for research, comedy, good discussion and all round good guy.  It was Alanho who started all this about the slotted device and then said he would leave the trial up to me.  I was more than happy to oblige as Alan does more than his share for the team.

So, lets hear it for Alan  Hip hip  Ho-ray

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:   

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I hope it turns out OK asa. As it happens, it would not be practical to use the CD slot mount in my car - so I have mounted my Nuvi on a disk stuck to the top of the dash to the right of the steering wheel and opposite the door pillar (my car has a triangular window at the front between the door and A pillar) in such position that it is line of sight with the thick A pillar and not taking any windscreen area or front side window area.

Oh Alan, ya don't have to be coy, we all understand...   I to have some old CDs I like to listen too, not as old as yours obviously, mine are more GARAGE and HOUSE...    Yours are more Joseph Locke and Vera Lynne, there's  nowt wrong with listen to your old war time music on your CD player.

Enjoy them turn up the volume  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Oh Alan, ya don't have to be coy, we all understand...   I to have some old CDs I like to listen too, not as old as yours obviously, mine are more GARAGE and HOUSE...    Yours are more Joseph Locke and Vera Lynne, there's  nowt wrong with listen to your old war time music on your CD player.

Enjoy them turn up the volume  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I say asa - that's a nice run of humour from you. We are more used to the grumble and grump.

If you keep this up you will need - to avoid misrepresentation - to change your avatar to one with at least a bit of a smile........... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I love watching old blokes doing the internet :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal