AlanHo · 43 · 7000

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The fun will now start.

A wounded YES lot will now be tub thumping for major concessions from the UK government.

Conservatives like me will be quietly pushing for England to be given concessions also. Like equal government support for all UK citizens and abandoning the preferential treatment being given to Scotland. Also preventing Scottish MP's from voting in Westminster for matters that do not effect Scotland and for which they have their own parliament.

The Welsh will now push for a proper parliament and be given powers afforded to Scotland

The Irish will keep their heads down and hope that no-one notices that N.I already gets a much greater share of the public purse than any other part of the UK.   
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds like the fun is just beginning.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Now we want a vote for ................

Let's get England out of Scotland/NI/Wales..... :whistler:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Now we want a vote for ................
Let's get England out of Scotland/NI/Wales..... :whistler:
Your wish is their command....
It's all happening - Speaking outside Downing Street this morning Mr Cameron said "Scotland had had its say and it was now time to listen to the 'millions of voices of England".

He said "it was 'crucial' to give England the same powers over tax, spending and welfare as Scotland".

:link: Scotland says no to independence, but clear poll result triggers a constitutional earthquake | Daily Mail Online
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 13:32:44 by Mike SX »

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
The fun will now start.

A wounded YES lot will now be tub thumping for major concessions from the UK government.

Conservatives like me will be quietly pushing for England to be given concessions also. Like equal government support for all UK citizens and abandoning the preferential treatment being given to Scotland. Also preventing Scottish MP's from voting in Westminster for matters that do not effect Scotland and for which they have their own parliament.

The rogue poll which showed 'yes' to devolution panicked David Cameron into saying that the Barnett formula (which hands out the cash disproportionately) would stay in place. Though it is unclear if he will be able to get that through parliament.  He has handled things badly from the start. Even the referendum question played into the independence camp - people are known to prefer to say 'yes' to direct questions.

Though the Salmond bluster and false assurances about things he couldn't deliver clearly didn't work.

There will no doubt be a demand for another referendum in a few years but it may be that the extra powers of the Scottish parliament will defuse that.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
As I see it that has always been the problem.  England should be devolved, probably into areas and decisions affecting those areas should be taken locally.  I have become sick of seeing the lets get a government we voted for less than hundreds of miles away to make the decisions.  Scotland already has a level of devolution but the government may not be what you voted for and for many Scots is still hundreds of miles away.  Same can be said for Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool et al.

The case for English devolution is now even more firmly established, at it's most basic, Westminster should ONLY be for UK wide decisions and should contain proportional representation for the entire country.

Perhaps if the entire nation comes together, takes a leaf out of Scotland's book and actually VOTE, then the changes to the entire political system that the country needs will occur.  We actually support the cry from our English brothers and are more than happy to support it, dare I say more so than our English brothers who are busy filling social media with comments such as "scrounging Scots".

Most of the English do not understand that due to it's high level of rurality that many in Scotlland do not see the same benefits as they do, in the same way that some Scots probably don't get that many areas of Cumbria, Northumberland, Cornwall etc have the same issue.  Many people in all of those areas are not simply a ten minute drive from a supermarket and so need a level of monetary help to get there and still be able to afford to spend money in them.  Because of devolution we have that ability, hence the "they get more than they put in" comments, ironically, if they didn't then they wouldn't spend so much on fuel or even whilst visiting "the big smoke" to shop which then has a further knock on effect on GDP and taxation.  The big difference is that our devolved government recognise it and fight for the assistance whilst the UK government hope the English don't notice.  English devolution could fix that, you have to go for it.

If the Westminster MP's think they have got away with making a few shallow promises to keep us which can then be ignored, they should think again, twenty years ago the SNP were regarded with the same wary eye as UKIP and to have lost by only 10% on the question of Independence would have been seen as nothing more than a pipe dream.

The major parties HAVE to deliver not only their promise to Scotland,  but also to the rest of the country, our eyes are on them and many Scots (including those of us who voted no) EXPECT.  If not then there is no doubt in my mind that the SNP will be voted back into Scottish parliament with a mandate to do this all over again and the English may well find themselves under the guidance of a radical strand of politics to their detriment.

Remember my English friends, that Conservative, Labour and Liberal leaders have vowed to give you a better say and that vow has come on the back of Scotland making a stand. :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Well we keep scotish footie teams out of the english prem league.  Another blow for the scots...

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
None of the teams in Scotland would be worth anything in the English leagues, might find Celtic doing well in the Championship, the rest of them much further down!

I find it interesting that the English have obviously been told that this was about Scotland vs England, it wasn't and isn't, it is about Scotland vs Westminster.

On the subject of fairness then the English have to see that because 86% of the voting population are not in Scotland what we have voted for historically has never been what Scotland gets and this causes the problems.  Scotland has ONE conservative MP and yet we have a Conservative government, where is the proportional representation there? (Don't tell me it's a coalition, that is a smoke screen!).  We didn't vote for the last Conservative government and they rewarded us with the Poll Tax (introduced in Scotland only for the first year).  In total in the last 68 years of the UK, 16 of them have been what the Scottish people voted for.

So why vote NO you may ask.  For those of us that voted that way it was about the belief in the nation as a whole, contrary to popular belief we do not exhibit the same amount of hatred to the English as we get back, we belong together, fighting together for the better.  Many Scottish people died in the name of Queen and country, alongside our English, Irish and Welsh brothers and sisters in two world wars, all done to keep the UK and Europe a better place (whether it is or not), similarly we fought together to keep The Falkland Islands and also in the more recent middle East conflicts (again whether we should be there or not).  To knock that history in the head alone is wrong and many of us feel that way.  Only one reason from many, but that is the level of thought that I and many people I know put into this, not a racist "we hate the English" thing at all, we don't and hopefully the result last night has proved that.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Two enthralling posts Brian, but I'm watching the "Outlander" series and I've seen how you guys treat the English :winker:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Irene

• 3rd Gear

• england England
      Stafford, County Town of Staffordshire

• Young Pensioner
Two enthralling posts Brian, but I'm watching the "Outlander" series and I've seen how you guys treat the English :winker:

I have the entire list of the books by Diana Gabaldon and absolutely love them. 
They have pride of honour in my book case.   :)

I truly envy you being able to watch them.  Where did you obtain the screen versions?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 21:01:07 by Irene »
  • 2014 Mercedes C200 Sport - Obsideon Black

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I see Alex Salmond has resigned as first minister of Scotland and Scottish National Party leader after voters rejected independence in Thursday's referendum.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Irene
Where did you obtain the screen versions?

T'internet :winker:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I see Alex Salmond has resigned as first minister of Scotland and Scottish National Party leader after voters rejected independence in Thursday's referendum.

NO, Salmond is GOING to resign...     He will loose his fabulous pay as big cheese leader and drop back to bloody good pay and perks as an SMP.   

By the way this concept of lets have little government everywhere, who the f*** is gonna fund all these fabulously paid politicians ???????.

I get annoyed with the thieving cheating scoundrels down there in London, and the local councilors round and about, local councilors are supposed to be doing it for nowt, ya know, doing us a favour.   Go to your local councils web site and just have a look at the expenses they claim.
Make sure your sat down and gripping on to something firm when ya do it tho.   
One of my ancient (friends) and his wife are both 'On the council' they both work at very highly paid jobs and then claimed £50.000 a year  between them making them VERY wealthy indeed.

The whole deal of politics stinks to high heaven, there almost as corrupt as the bloody bankers.

Anyhow back on topic, don't get too upset for poor old Alex, he made a bid to be King and failed.   He ain't gonna be living out of the jam pot, no sir.

:Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There will no doubt be a demand for another referendum in a few years but it may be that the extra powers of the Scottish parliament will defuse that.

What's the point of repeat referendums. The result has already been determined.

This referendum should have been put to ALL parties who are affected by the present Scottish inclusion, that is the whole UK. Should have been planned for the next election to minimize costs, wonder what the result would have been.

I wonder what all the poor souls killed in fighting for that territory in history, would think of the result :question:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

This referendum should have been put to ALL parties who are affected by the present Scottish inclusion, that is the whole UK. Should have been planned for the next election to minimize costs, wonder what the result would have been.

I wonder what all the poor souls killed in fighting for that territory in history, would think of the result :question:

I think you will find that 45% of disenfranchised punters who along with a reasonable percentage of undecideds who went no on the basis of lack of clarity (despite an extended period of trying to get that clarity) will demand another ref, particularly if the UK government falls short of providing ANY of the extra powers they promised to any of the UK sub nations.....

Salmond resigning is on the back of Cameron already trying to backtrack. :disapp:

Also the mandate by which the ref came about was via the Scottish government who were elected by the Scottish people, none of the other union nations was included in that mandate and so could not be asked.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

I think you will find that 45% of disenfranchised punters who along with a reasonable percentage of undecideds who went no on the basis of lack of clarity (despite an extended period of trying to get that clarity) will demand another ref, particularly if the UK government falls short of providing ANY of the extra powers they promised to any of the UK sub nations.....

Salmond resigning is on the back of Cameron already trying to backtrack. :disapp:

Also the mandate by which the ref came about was via the Scottish government who were elected by the Scottish people, none of the other union nations was included in that mandate and so could not be asked.

Although I've come across some English voters who wouldn't mind if Scotland left the UK, the vast majority wish to keep it in the union. So they'd never be able to leave even if 100% of Scots wanted out. It should be their choice and theirs alone.

Cameron has effectively made a case for the complicated linking of the extra Scottish powers to wider constitutional changes.  His back-benchers dislike the granting of extra powers to Scotland without similar changes in the wider UK. This will take a long time to organise of course - it isn't possible within the original timetable.   Though the election in May next year will muddy the waters as well - the Tories are unlikely to be biggest single party. He is organising a mess which will stop a leadership battle before then.

A solution to the problem of Scottish MPs voting on purely English matters (the West Lothian question) is needed but I prefer the separation of the Scottish and English problems as put forward by Labour.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
OK now you Jocks have lost, settle down and obey Mother England. :evil: :blubber:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I know it is a bit late, but can I say a big  :ta: to Scotland, for proving to the rest of the world that you can have differing opinions on how your country proceeds without resorting to beheading, crucifixion and violence.  From my viewpoint (on t'other side of the world), people from both sides were able to express their views without fears of violence.

:judges:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :iws:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Peaceful wasn't it!

Maybe this was in their mind all along...

If Scotland gains its independence after the referendum, the remainder of the United Kingdom will be known as the "Former United Kingdom" (F U K).

In a bid to discourage Scots from voting 'yes' in the referendum, Westminster has now begun to campaign with the slogan: "Vote NO, for F U K's sake"

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My Scottish friend emailed me last week:

Westminster must think us Scots are thick making us believe they were going to give us more power.

I've just checked and we're still only getting 240 volts.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Westminster must think us Scots are thick making us believe they were going to give us more power.

He needed to have checked the amps as well
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ Shambles.. Hill hairy arse x 2  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

He needed to have checked the amps as well

Whose volt is that  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:28:14 by Mike SX »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We may have to do some probing to answer that. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I have tried this several time and it seems to disappear, for no apparent reason...

I would have liked to see what would actually have happened if the vote had been YES. 

Just out of interest.  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal