i30 Owners Club

Quirky clutch, and/or backlash in drivetrain

tohis · 5 · 2161

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
The clutch in my GD i30 is somehow quirky to use. When I lift my foot, the clutch does not go from disengaged to engaged very smoothly. It's difficult to slip to get moving smoothly, and doing more slipping with more throttle does not make it moving any faster. My former Nissan Almera was pretty much the same about it, but I can't remember my other former cars being like that.

Furthermore, changing gears from 1-2 or 2-3 is also very difficult to do smoothly. The engine rpm must be a perfect match for the next gear, otherwise it produces a semi-sharp thud when the clutch engages. With higher gears it's not that bad.

Also, when lifting the pedal fast while having the gear in neutral, I can hear a faint click coming somewhere under the engine bay. While in the first gear and lifting the pedal to the verge of engaging, the click is easier to hear. If I do some kangaroo hopping deliberately by blipping gas pedal while moving in first gear, the click can be heard each time and it feels like having backlash somewhere in the clutch or drivetrain.

I mentioned about this when I was in the last service a week ago, and the mechanic noticed the phenomenon but of course there was no further action. I guess it wasn't bad enough for them to get their hands dirty, and anyway it's not a simple and fast job to inspect it and possibly replace something to the clutch or drivetrain.

Has anyone of you had similar issues? Without better knowledge it's not easy to demand the service center to do something for it.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It could be a dual mass flywheel problem.   
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi

Probably not, because as far as we know, the U2 engine does not have a dual mass flywheel. It has been discussed here before...
:link: Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Probably not, because as far as we know, the U2 engine does not have a dual mass flywheel. It has been discussed here before...
:link: Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)

I was very much involved with that thread and attempted to get clarification from my dealer. I would like to think the 1.6 CRDi engine does not have a DMF - but it was not entirely proven one way or the other.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have driven Trish's Manual 1.6 GDi (Petrol) Tourer twice in the last 2 days and you have to give that a fair  amount of revs to get a smooth takeoff in first. Trish took a while to get used to this and ironically we both compared it to a previous 1998 Nissan Pulsar which had a similar trait. SO maybe it is just the clutch. I must say, the gearbox isn't as buttery as her previous CW but still very nice, once you get on the move.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal