Glovebox Rattle

Mutley · 49 · 21265

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Carib can you post a photo of what you mean?..

I used a couple of these high density foam blocks about 3 mm thick (A$2 from a discount shop) as per Ian's suggestion  :goodjob:

I just used 2 pads as shown here and then did a test drive (noise gone for now at least)  :D

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^-- what a splendid idea :eek:

Cheers  (why didn't I think of that)  though my creeks are hardly noticeable
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It used to be a real buzz in the CRDi but I blamed that partly on the resonance of the diesel motor.. The noise in the cW was much less obvious but it was the glovebox door because it stopped if the door was left open..Now it is gone  :goodjob:

carib
Hi Carib can you post a photo of what you mean?..

Hi.
"By your command, Master"!  :mrgreen:

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Here is the bad guy!
(There is another one on the other side that was closing properly).

Here is not properly closed

and now properly closed

Please note that I'm in Portugal, left driver side.
The problem was, as I said, in the door's side.

If you, or another one, needs more details, I can try explain better (but not easy to me in English).

Regards,

carib

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Carib your answer was perfect  :mrgreen:

Between your fix and Ian's (Agent_R31) fix I think we have this problem nailed  :goodjob:

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Its a common thing with the i30's, my dealer noted it  on a scheduled service, adjusted glove box, { but rattled after service}, next service, mentioned it to dealership, that it was still rattling, they replaced whole glovebox,= more than happy!
Good luck guys!
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
i think i have the solution.....

most ppl would say its coming from the glovebox.... but in fact it dosent... atleast mine dosent.. and i was    105% completely sure was coming from there.. so was my local dealership.

so a few days ago... i figued it out.... after months of bugging my local dealership and finally got them to contact hyundai in my country to come and take a look at it.... i think they hate me now or something.. lol..

anyway... i was driving on the free way as i do often.. goin about 130km/h  and thats where i get the rattling sounds. and also at 80-90km/h rpm.. about 1900/2200. 

i was in fith gear .. and for unknown reason i had my hand on the gear shifter.. and by accident i pushed it against the the fith geat slot/position... and then i could hear the rattling sound was gone..as soon as i let go of the gear shifter.. it was back... so i started to play around with it and im 110% sure its coming from there... cant say what is causing atm.. im just glad i finally pinpointed it the location where to look... so i have booked at new time for them to look at it hopefully fix it... i cant wait till get it back and its hopefully is gone for good!

chees Zhangster  :cool:

carib
Hi Zhangster.

OK. Each case is a case.

I thought that was in the central pillar or the passenger door.

It was by chance, when I was sitting in the passenger seat, I discovered that the the lid of the glove box had two catches, one on each side, and when I closed the lid for the center, stood with a small gap on the right side near the passenger door .

Some force was necessary to close that side as well. For three or four times.

After that started to close and the noise disappeared.

I think anyone who hears the sound with the lid of the glove box closed and no longer hear the same when it is open, should have a problem like mine or another in the glove box.

Good luck with your problem and give us news.

Regards,

carib

Offline keng27

• 1st Gear
Gone through most of the posts here and seems Zhangster's scenario is the one I am experiencing.

Mine is a 2.0SX (late 2009) and heard this rattling noise after clocking 7000+ km. The weird thing was everytime this happened I was driving between 70~90km/h on a slightly rough road surface (highway or freeway) and during the acceleration. Never had this in city driving, or when speed is < 70km/h or > 100km/h.

I am very sure it's not coming from the glovebox and my passengers confirmed that, it seems to come from behind/below the steering or dashboard.

I just had my regular service done days ago and had reported the issue. They did some tests and confirmed hearing the noise, but what they suggested to me was a bit, well... "dumb". They asked me to try changing my fuel and see how it goes... I am not sure how they get into this suggestion, but anyway I will do it and see how it turns out.

Pip
.. They did some tests and confirmed hearing the noise, but what they suggested to me was a bit, well... "dumb". They asked me to try changing my fuel and see how it goes... I am not sure how they get into this suggestion, but anyway I will do it and see how it turns out.
Good luck with that. :rofl:

And next time... try another dealer. :scared:

BTW  :welcome:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There is some bit of thin metal roughly in that area that can rattle, there is a thread on it somewhere, you can bend it to stop it I belive.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Zhangster.

OK. Each case is a case.

I thought that was in the central pillar or the passenger door.

It was by chance, when I was sitting in the passenger seat, I discovered that the the lid of the glove box had two catches, one on each side, and when I closed the lid for the center, stood with a small gap on the right side near the passenger door .

Some force was necessary to close that side as well. For three or four times.

After that started to close and the noise disappeared.

I think anyone who hears the sound with the lid of the glove box closed and no longer hear the same when it is open, should have a problem like mine or another in the glove box.

Good luck with your problem and give us news.

Regards,

carib

I did this and haven't had the noise since.

That said I havent opened the Glove Box either!

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No rattle in Trish's CW since I put those Foam pads in there either  :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
.. They did some tests and confirmed hearing the noise, but what they suggested to me was a bit, well... "dumb". They asked me to try changing my fuel and see how it goes... I am not sure how they get into this suggestion, but anyway I will do it and see how it turns out.

I know if a dealer suggested that to me I'd be saying, "Umm? OK. Just explain to me in layman's terms how my fuel is causing a rattle behind the steering wheel. Please feel free to use diagrams".
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Add to this thread.

A faint rattle coming from my car too. Hard to localise but I assume from dash. Just checked my glovebox and it appears with a casual close one of the pins as Carib has mentioned doesn't fully close. I will give it a proper close and need to see now if the noise is gone.

Thanks Carib.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've had no rattles whatsoever since I applied a couple of those antiskid pads that Dazz pictured :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Will try that if closing it firmly does not eliminate it. I note that the glove box does have its own rubber circular pads which aim to do the same thing. Maybe over time they flatten and lose their effectiveness. My car is barely 3 months so perhaps I just haven't closed the glovebox properly.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I know if a dealer suggested that to me I'd be saying, "Umm? OK. Just explain to me in layman's terms how my fuel is causing a rattle behind the steering wheel. Please feel free to use diagrams".

Don't forget interpretive dance.....It is an underrated  art form and perfect for these situations.  :cool:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
You guys have thought of everything, if only i'd search

I'd though of getting pads, but in the mean time I'm using one of the petrol gloves to wedge it
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal