i30 Owners Club

DPF Question

zatos99 · 20 · 4823

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi,
It's my first post on here and it is also my first i30cw (diesel). I'd just like to comment on how good and zippy these cars are! Anyway, so I read my engine and it says "THIS CAR IS NOT FITTED WITH A CATALYZED PARTICULATE FILTER. YOU MUAT USE OIL THAT MEETS ACEA B4" and I'm just wondering what the go with short trips is. Because i know that if you have a DPF, many short trips fill up the filter and it needs to be cleaned manually.
Any replies are greatly appreciated
Thanks
Zatos99
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Zatos99,

You have done well, the FD CW Diesel is my favourite model in that series. You (we) are very lucky in Australia that we don't get a DPF in the i30 (at this stage) as they can create  a problem if only doing short trips. You shouldn't have any problems though as you DON'T have one!  :goodjob:

There are plenty of threads on here about the pluses and minuses of DPF (I can't easily think of any pluses (for the owner anyway)  :snigger:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No filter = no problems, but, be aware that diesel engines really love a good run and to reach proper operating temperature. You will get the best economy than as the engine will be most thermally efficient.

Do use ACEA B4 oil and a full synthetic type to keep the engine running sweetly. Enjoy your ride  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks so much Phil and Dazzler!! I don't know alot about mechanics of cars but who needs to when forums like this exist.
Anyway, I have another question which is slightly off topic, but when I start the car for the first time, alot of white smoke comes from the car(also extremely toxic). I am a little bit worried as both my parents have diesels and they don't have any smoke on startup (or at all for that matter). After 2 mins, the smoke cloud subsides and all is good. There is still a stench(but no visible smoke) when I am outside the car during idle after a drive however.
I am going to get a service soon and get some oil (its on special), so I'll see what happens.
Thanks
Zatos99
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
G'day Zatos99,

The white smoke is more than likely unburnt diesel.  Make sure that the coil light goes out before you start the engine, and if you are already doing this, mention it to the mechanic when you take it in for a service.  It may be one or more of the glow plugs on the way out.

FatBoy

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thank-you very much FatBoy. I will let the mechanic know and let you know how it goes.
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:

Great model you've bought there.   :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Zatos99  :wttc:

You have all he info you need here, i agree great little car! if your car still less than 5 years old & under warranty you must use that type & grade oil.
but a friend of mine's wife has had two Ford Focus turbo Diesels since 2009 , has the new model now & already has over 200,000k up , my friend has a machine shop builds & dyne's motors for all types applications even big diesel's, he does the servicing & from day one there turbo diesel has only ran on Valvoline Super diesel 15w 40w that is non synthetic, but he changes the oil every 5,000k & oil filter too . i use same oil in my Hilux turbo diesel, when i change the oil i notice the oil after i do oil change looks clean till i do a thousand or so k. when i had my i30 turbo diesel i used mobil one that meet the B4 standards think 0w 30w? but after i had car serviced & oikl & filter changed i would check oil level before i left the dealer ( have always done that ) & the oil still looked dirty.
i still have a few Mobil one 5L containers full of that oil here if someone wants to make an offer

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks Lakes,
So you're saying that non-synthetic oil would perform better in my car? A massive contrast to what other people have been saying if that's the case. I will ask my mechanic to see what he reckons, but if that's what you think, it might be worth a go.
 :gotcha:
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't think Lakes is saying it will perform better, just that you can use mineral oil if you wish "once out of warranty" but oil change intervals will have to be more frequent.

Mineral oil though cheaper will break done quicker and then become abrasive, personally I'd stick with the synthetic oil as the longevity and anti-friction properties are far superior ( new technology vs old ), Shell Ultra 5W-40 is highly recommended for petrol and diesels and can be purchased through Blackwoods if you have a store close by for $44 5 ltrs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:05:51 by CraigB »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
While I only use synthetic oil in my diesel i30 I reckon mineral oils are perfectly fine in petrol engines.

My old 1990 model Holden Barina had 420,000k on the clock when I finally sold it and I only ever used cheap Valvoline XLD or Shell oil...
I changed oil & filters every 10,000k. It was using a little oil at the finish but I certainly couldn't complain about that after running up those k's...  :goodjob:

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks everybody for the responses. I just had my i30cw serviced and the mechanic says it's a 'real zippy beast'. He's usually a petrol fan and he said 'i forgot how fun diesel was!'.
In regards to the smoke and oil, the smoke was from the glowplug (You were right FatBoy!). The 80A fuse was blown so we replaced it for $9. The mechanic just put in full synthetic Penrite (5w-40) diesel oil and it runs a charm.

Thanks
Zatos99 :happydance: :happydance:
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Nice cheap fix for the blowing of white smoke!!   :goodjob:

The diesels are a great little car to drive as well.

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yeah love my diesel. But i am receiving a lot of mixed opinions in relation to short trips and diesel. Some say: "Nah it's crap economy and waste of money","ruins the engine" others say "don't worry. only the bigger older truck type diesels can't do short trips. smaller passenger diesels are fine"(which i would like to believe).
Of course they love to be taken on a longish, high speed run every now and then, but the distances i will be travelling next year, 4 days a week will be 2-3kms (twice each day).
Thoughts? Opinions?
All appreciated
Thanks
Zatos99  :goodjob2:
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Remember blown fuses (especially 80amp) rarely blow without reason.

I would suggest getting the glow plug rail checked to make sure it isn't/wasn't touching the head.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yeah love my diesel. But i am receiving a lot of mixed opinions in relation to short trips and diesel. Some say: "Nah it's crap economy and waste of money","ruins the engine" others say "don't worry. only the bigger older truck type diesels can't do short trips. smaller passenger diesels are fine"(which i would like to believe).
Of course they love to be taken on a longish, high speed run every now and then, but the distances i will be travelling next year, 4 days a week will be 2-3kms (twice each day).
Thoughts? Opinions?
All appreciated
Thanks
Zatos99  :goodjob2:

Diesel engines are made with a lot more steel componentry, which adds weight & strength which is required to handle Diesel pressures. The extra weight and steel adds time and takes more fuel to heat a cold engine, making it more inefficient DURING WARM UP. This inefficiency is reversed as the engine reaches operating temperatures, so longer times are better.

If short distances are to be the norm I would ensure that ;

1 Servicing is undertaken at the correct intervals.
2 Oil & filters should be changed & the egr valve periodically checked to ensure correct operation.

Diesel engines generally have long service lives due to extra inbuilt strength.  You should have no problems using your car as you suggest.

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for the response. So in regards to the inefficiency on warm up, obviously my car wont have time to warm up with only 2-3kms. In terms of fuel economy, what do you think the reduction will be? Of course, each individual car is going to have its unique condition which will affect the economy, but if you had to make an estimate, what would you say?

Zatos99 :workitout:
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hard to say indeed, but based on Firty's (Adelaide) 30km city performance of 4.1, short drives of less than 2km might push it out to 4.6. :Dunno:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm on tapatalk so can't see if you have an auto or a manual but mid 5's would still be a good result for a manual. At least being in Australia you don't have a DPF to worry about.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Around 6 to 6.5 would be my guess, depending on your driving style. Still a good figure IMO. :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal