Service -> oil over "max"

accim · 31 · 21768

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Okay, so here's what I'm talking about. On the 26th of July (2 weeks ago) I took my car to the service (of course "genuine" - authorized Hyundai service) for check up/service at 100.000 km. They changed a couple of things -> oil, oil filter, micro filter, antifreeze,.., BUT they were a bit too generous, because they decided to put more oil than needed (my services are free of charge for 4 years so I don't receive any invoice where I could see how much oil they've poured in).

Yesterday I was doing my "routine" check up of the vehicle (but the vehicle was cold) and saw that it has too much oil -> it's over "max" on the stick. So what I did then, was to measure the oil the way people say it's supposed to be measured -> drove around for 40 min (so the engine and oil got warm), parked the car and waited 10-20 min (so the oil "came back"). After all that it was till above max (btw is was about the same as when measuring it cold).

So my conclusion is.. I have too much oil in the engine? Sadly I found that out 2 weeks after the service (and 2.000 km) so I'll try to have it pumped out today on some of the petrol stations (I've heard they do that, I just need to find the right one).

Anyways, here are the pictures of how it looks:

After the car was driven for 40 min, waited 20 min and measured:

And this is how it is, if the engine is cold (I'm sorry for the crappy pictures, I couldn't focus it that well):

I think it's needles to say it's way too much. I would understand if it was 2, 3 mm above, but 10mm-20mm above "max"...that's no joke.

So my question would be.. What do you think? Could I have problems in future -> let's say in next 1 or 2 years or there shouldn't be any problems, because I haven't done too much km with it.

Xamaxy
On my previous car i did that. Back then i was huge newbie in cars.

All that extra oil didnt damaged car in any why, but engine did get rid of it by leaking all over "pores" that extra part.
Bottom line, really not good situation on a new car like yours.

Like i said on my post, i would go STRAIGHT back to the service to make them correct this.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
On my previous car i did that. Back then i was huge newbie in cars.

All that extra oil didnt damaged car in any why, but engine did get rid of it by leaking all over "pores" that extra part.
Bottom line, really not good situation on a new car like yours.

Like i said on my post, i would go STRAIGHT back to the service to make them correct this.

Yeah I know what you mean. It would be best to have it done at their service, so in case something turned out to be wrong,  it would be noted I came back because of their over-fill. But as I've written it in your topic, I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch them before they close (5 p.m.), because I have a very busy week.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I would without doubt go back to the garage that did the oil change and have it recorded, better still I would also write them a letter and expect a reply.

I'm not saying you won't get away without any problems, but this happened to a car my Mum owned and after time oil seals and gaskets started leaking.

Edit:  Should have mentioned accim, my Mum's car was a lot older than yours and probably had weaker seals and gaskets.  I reckon your car will probably be ok, but still best to play on the safe side and report it to the garage.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
i would go STRAIGHT back to the service to make them correct this.

I agree.  Let them sort it out.............
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Just checked and you can't get your oil pumped out at any petrol station in Slovenia anymore. They used to do it, but not anymore. Damn.

Yeah, I'll go first thing in the morning to the service and hope they'll do it quickly.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I often find a car is slightly over filled with oil on a service.  If you take your car in for an oil change and the oil capacity for your car is 3.3 litre, as far as I know that's what they measure in.  Problem with this is, if they don't get all the old oil out, you are left with an over fill.

mick55
Amazing, that won't hurt your car.  Some crooked dealers  have levels slightly below max, if they can save a few ml here and there on many cars it all mounts up and generates dollars.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In older cars, if it was left there it would almost certainly cause problems with seals and gaskets later on. In a  newer car and only for a couple of weeks I don't think you'll have any problem but it should certainly be fixed and noted by the workshop carrying out the job.
BTW. Despite the type of service arrangement you have, I'd be insisting on a workshop report of what was done, labour time, parts used and safety/ mechanical report each visit.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

BTW. Despite the type of service arrangement you have, I'd be insisting on a workshop report of what was done, labour time, parts used and safety/ mechanical report each visit.

Good Point :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Accim..

I'm thinking a centimetre on the dipstick might only be half a litre or so (I'm surprised by the comments regarding seals and gaskets)

I doubt it will cause an issue but best to get it sorted whenyou can get back to dealer ..

Maybe you could put the dipstick in and out about 100 times when cold (when more oil will stick to the dipstick) and wipe the excess oil off each time .. see if that gets rid of enough  :idea:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Maybe you could put the dipstick in and out about 100 times when cold (when more oil will stick to the dipstick) and wipe the excess oil off each time .. see if that gets rid of enough  :idea:

I think he would be better draining a bit from the sump, he would look a bit of a DIPSTICK doing that :D

Offline Pranav

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bairnsdale

• I30 CW AUTO Trophy Hyper Silver
I did this and worse to my previous car a V6 Commodore.  I had no idea that some extra oil could be a problem, infact I thought the more the better lubrication (Idiotic, I know)  :disapp:

So I just emptied the can of oil I had, coz didnt want to keep a semifilled can.

Then, I was going on a long trip the same night...around 100 km's later.  All the warning lights came on ! the one for oil stayed on. 

I stopped the music, and AC, and the car was making funny noise (close to whipping a shake).  I understoond that it must be the extra oil I had put.

So, I called RACV, they took it to a garage and took the oil out.  It was atleast a litre more than max.

I was assured that there had been no damage etc and not even did I get a problem later.  Phew ! Since then I dont try too many things myself on cars !  :undecided:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yes, I called my dealer straight away (okay 10 min before they open :D ) and told the lady that works at the desk office - or how do you call it -> kind of receptionist, explained about my issue and she was shocked. Anyways, I'm booked for "drainage" :D at 10 am. Not really good timing, but have to get it sorted out ASAP. I did not see any oil coming out anywhere so far, hope everything is still ok.

Other than that, the car still - after 102.600 km, feels and drives great and I'd be really upset if mistake like that, would do any harm to the engine. I try to keep it in best shape and I know that the owner after me, will be very happy to have such a great car. If I started to have any problems that could be linked to this incident anytime soon, I would demand a huge discount on new car  :arrow: something like ix35 or i40CW  :mrgreen:  :whistler:

All my previous cars were in great shape when I sold them. 1. Accent (y.2000), it was sold in 2004 at 135.000 km and I still see the car every day. A guy in our neighborhood bought it and the same guy still, after 7 years owns it. 2. Elantra (2004-2007) at 105.000 km. When I sold it, the salesman couldn't believe how well the car looked and felt - inside and out. Unfortunately next owner wasn't so keen on keeping it in that shape.. Why am I saying that? I saw my Elantra about a year ago at my dealers. Horrible. It was scratched all over, the interior was like it was flooded, etc... I was really sad when I saw her.. Really. And the 3. Accent (2007-2008) at 60.000 km. Okay, that one really was like new. Despite the white/gray interior it was so clean that it really looked like new. I remember, the salesman told me once, that some people were looking at that Accent, which they were selling (all cars were bought/sold at the same place -> Hyundai dealer) and were wondering, why it is 2.000 EUR cheaper if it is a new car :D I saw that Accent two times so far and I was really happy that the new owner takes care of it. It still looked great, without a scratch and the interior looked also neat and clean.

Anyways, enough of talking. I'll report on how it went at the dealers.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Chances are, all will be fine.  Having more oil than needed can cause extra oil pressure as far as I'm aware, that's why leaks can occur on weak seals and gaskets.  I would imagine if any problems had been caused, it would show up sooner rather than later.

Good Luck

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All my previous cars were in great shape when I sold them. 1. Accent (y.2000), it was sold in 2004 at 135.000 km and I still see the car every day. A guy in our neighborhood bought it and the same guy still, after 7 years owns it. 2. Elantra (2004-2007) at 105.000 km. When I sold it, the salesman couldn't believe how well the car looked and felt - inside and out. Unfortunately next owner wasn't so keen on keeping it in that shape.. Why am I saying that? I saw my Elantra about a year ago at my dealers. Horrible. It was scratched all over, the interior was like it was flooded, etc... I was really sad when I saw her.. Really. And the 3. Accent (2007-2008) at 60.000 km. Okay, that one really was like new. Despite the white/gray interior it was so clean that it really looked like new. I remember, the salesman told me once, that some people were looking at that Accent, which they were selling (all cars were bought/sold at the same place -> Hyundai dealer) and were wondering, why it is 2.000 EUR cheaper if it is a new car :D I saw that Accent two times so far and I was really happy that the new owner takes care of it. It still looked great, without a scratch and the interior looked also neat and clean.

Anyways, enough of talking. I'll report on how it went at the dealers.

I have 25 previous cars (about 6 with Trish I think) and they have all disappeared off the planet .. haven't seen any of them for at least 3 months  :undecided:

Pip
The responses saying that an over-fill can cause oil leaks intrigued me. It would not increase "oil pressure" but might somehow increase crankcase pressure but how would that happen? Any theory on that?

I do recall many years ago (and I think I did relate it here some time ago) that BMC Austin 1800s had an incorrectly calibrated dipstick. As far as my memory serves, the problem was that the big-ends were able to reach into the higher than ideal oil and beat it to foam. The aerated oil was not good and bad stuff happened. :blubber:

And my guess is that an extra 0.5 litre in this case would not be a real concern, although I'd get it out just the same. :goodjob: 

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I'm back. Had it drained out, now it's okay ;) They don't know how that happened  :rolleyes:

They also checked my A/C and now it seems it's working fine -> when I had my car at the service 2 weeks ago, I told them the A/C isn't working (cooling) as it used to, so they checked it out and stated that the I'm out of gas. They've put some color/die inside, so they could check if it is leaking. Today they said it doesn't seem like it is, but they wont charge me for gas just jet and that I should come one more time in 2 weeks. The thing is, that the warranty for gas is only 2 years and my car now is more than 2,5 y.o.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re warranty time

My understanding is that if you report a problem within the warranty period and they don't fix it then you should still be covered until it is sorted.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Xamaxy
Looks like you were in this case unlucky.
Every service garage has to have here and there some bad work. You were the case here. Over oiling + not filling up A/C gas.

Good thing all sorted out wihtout any further issues.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Well... it happened to me also with the last service. After checking the oil I noticed that the level is more than 5 mm over the max (I haven't measured it exactly). Been back to the main Hyundai dealer today and as the car would be cursed or something, it only showed a mm or so over max and I was told not to worry about it. Like I was making my mind over it. Grrr...  :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well... it happened to me also with the last service. After checking the oil I noticed that the level is more than 5 mm over the max (I haven't measured it exactly). Been back to the main Hyundai dealer today and as the car would be cursed or something, it only showed a mm or so over max and I was told not to worry about it. Like I was making my mind over it. Grrr...  :confused:

How long after you noticed did you take it back? Hours, days, weeks? Don't you hate that.  :confused:

Did you drive far to the dealer? Maybe the oil was still settling :undecided:

Only other thing I can think of is when you checked first up car was on an angle and you didn't realise  :cool:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I don't think I'd be losing too much sleep over 5 mm.....  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't think I'd be losing too much sleep over 5 mm.....  :undecided:

Yeah, give a dealer a quarter of an inch and they'll take a mile  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :lol: @ Daz......

And neoto, If it really bothers you, you could always buy one of these and suck the excess oil out yourself....  :D

:link:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I started another thread on this without realising this one was running.

I am sure the reason is because the dealer service schedule and the  driver's handbook are quoting  for a dry engine fill not a filter and oil change.

Back in 2003 my Hyundai Terracan had the same problem where it was listed as 5.3 litres but only required 5 litres to reach the full mark on the dipstick. It took several complaints before  dealers were advised of the error.

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
Overfilling with engine oil is a problem which should be avoided especially on turbo diesel cars with CCV ( closed crankcase ventilation) as it increases chances of oil mist/vapor getting in to intake manifold where it is mixed with EGR gases and starts gunking up inlet manifold with all sorts of issues down the track. I can already see oil leaking out where EGR tube joints inlet manifold.

I had the local Hyundai dealer idiots done exactly the same on mine on its 12 months first service. Almost 1 liter of oil more. I sucked it out through dipstick tube with oil sampling hose/kit than went back to the dealer and had the oil drained out (I supplied my own oil initially and the helpful idiots advised me that they needed to top up as I didn't supplied them with enough quantity (5.0 L) which made me suspicious.

So they replaced the oil at their own cost including new filter again and when I got home I rechecked it and again 0.5 L of oil more.
They're not going to see the car ever again......
  • i30 SX MY11

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome rumcajs,

So you took it back, complained that they overfilled the oil & they did it again :exclaim:  :exclaim: :faint:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome rumcajs ... Sounds like they were fairly useless  :disapp:

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
Welcome rumcajs,

So you took it back, complained that they overfilled the oil & they did it again :exclaim:  :exclaim: :faint:

Yeah, I couldn't believe it myself. So I'm doing all the servicing myself from now on, I'll stamp the service book with our workshop service stamp  (truck dealership) and be done with it. If there is a warranty work required I'll try another branch but sadly over here its all owned by same dodgy brothers joint which has a monopoly on Hyundai so I'm not even sure if that will be any better.
I just feel sorry for all those unwary customers of their.
I did entertain an idea to inform Hyundai Australia but frankly I can be bothered to listen to some pro form reply, I'm sick of car companies and their hollow marketing rubbish.
Cheers
  • i30 SX MY11

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal