7,000 km "Optional" Service

mjt57 · 122 · 38054

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I reckon it would be quite amusing getting a bill for $X to remove the carbon buildup in your EGR valve or something then a surcharge for the carbon tax... :whistler:

You're idea of "amusing" and mine are quite different Dazz  :undecided: :mrgreen:

Yeah, maybe the wrong word  :confused: :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I get my car serviced every 7500km. I go to the dealer every 15k and the 7.5k inbetween is my own mechanic using genuine parts. i like to keep the oil new so the car in theory should last longer....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
With regards to carbon tax itemisation, the only place that I can figure out where a half way accurate calculation would be power stations, the supposed source of all this carbon pollution.

They'll be paying $23 a tonne. It's based on the carbon content in the fuel and how much of it that they burn.

So, the stuff is taxed at the source. Why then, should the service centre be slugged it as well? Isn't that double dipping?

And how do they calculate it? Based on power bills, perhaps?

This tax is one big con, and its paying for the Greens blackmail list of welfare freebies for those who, frankly, don't really deserve it.

Sorry if this aggravates those whose political leanings are left of centre (me, I'm a left win capitalist, myself), but that's my view of it. The CT is also one of the reasons why I bought the diesel i30...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

This tax is one big con, and its paying for the Greens blackmail list of welfare freebies for those who, frankly, don't really deserve it.

I can't argue with that!

I'm somewhat right of centre myself (in case that hadn't been noticed  :lol:).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
With regards to carbon tax itemisation, the only place that I can figure out where a half way accurate calculation would be power stations, the supposed source of all this carbon pollution.

They'll be paying $23 a tonne. It's based on the carbon content in the fuel and how much of it that they burn.

So, the stuff is taxed at the source. Why then, should the service centre be slugged it as well? Isn't that double dipping?

The power company passes on the carbon tax to each consumer, who in turn, will pass it on to each customer. How the amount is calculated under this method is anyone's guess. There will be an opportunity for companies to add a margin of profit on this, provided they don't get greedy and trigger an investigation.

:agreed:

The CT is also one of the reasons why I bought the diesel i30...

Unfortunately, diesel owners have been specifically target to pay the carbon tax, not petrol or gas consumers. Thanks Julia, I won't forget this at the next election :mad:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

The power company passes on the carbon tax to each consumer,

Not really. The generators will find it difficult to pass it on. What they'll do is to rebid their generators in at higher prices. But this means that they will be offloaded first in preference to those greener generators (such as hydro, gas, etc) which will be bid in lower.

So, the pool price will be higher, but the coal fired stations won't be able to recoup their costs. Unlike say, Origin Energy or SP Ausnet which are already charging an arm and a leg for power (2-3 cents a kw/h at the generator terminals to 23 cents at the power point).

Unfortunately, diesel owners have been specifically target to pay the carbon tax,
How's that?

What I meant though, was that I bought the i30 because of its frugality, not necessarily because diesel is cleaner or whatever. At 5.5l/100 km it's a lot cheaper than my Tribute doing 13l/100km.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unfortunately, diesel owners have been specifically targeted to pay the carbon tax,
How's that?

What I meant though, was that I bought the i30 because of its frugality, not necessarily because diesel is cleaner or whatever. At 5.5l/100 km it's a lot cheaper than my Tribute doing 13l/100km.
Yes, so did I, but Gillard intends to impose a tax on diesel fuel specifically. The transport industry is fuming, and we should be complaining too. However, there aren't many private diesel vehicle owners in Oz, compared to Europe, so we don't get considered at all. Look for the new price for diesel in July.  :fum:

You are obviously more in touch with the complexities of power generation & how it is currently sold to the grid. I know only 1 thing, they're not charities, so if they're charged, we will inevitably be charged too.  :fum:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Yes, so did I, but Gillard intends to impose a tax on diesel fuel specifically.

OK, I did not know that.

Thing is, passenger diesel sales are going through the roof. Surely the government must be aware of this?

You are obviously more in touch with the complexities of power generation & how it is currently sold to the grid. I know only 1 thing, they're not charities, so if they're charged, we will inevitably be charged too.
Not as much as they would like (getting compensated for the CT with higher generation revenue).

To be honest, I don't know how it's going to pan out. Suggestions that we'll see a $23 a megawatt/hr increase in the average spot price post-July 1 are floating about. But until it comes into effect we really don't know how the energy market will respond.

As long as I can still afford to put diesel in my Cruddy (acronymising "CRDi") I'll be happy...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

As long as I can still afford to put diesel in my Cruddy (acronymising "CRDi") I'll be happy...

Glad  I'm not the only one who thought of a nickname like that, we called ours Ruby, coz it's red, instead.  :lol:

Currently there's a 10c/lt difference in petrol / diesel price in Adelaide. They're expecting another 10cents drop next week. If Gillard's tax increases the price of diesel, there will be an enormous difference between the two.  :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

She needs to feel the full force of a hi-flow diesel nozzle  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Currently there's a 10c/lt difference in petrol / diesel price in Adelaide.

When I filled up last week it was a $1.48/l in Gippsland (east of Melbourne). Petrol was around the same price, although I didn't take much notice of actual price.

On the news last night both the price of diesel and petrol had dropped significantly (in Melbourne, at least). Diesel at one servo was listed at around $1.25/l. Petrol was a bit cheaper but not by much.

When I go home in the morning I'll see what the local servos are selling it for. I still have half a tank or about 400 kays to go before I need to fill up, which I expect will be sometime in the next two weeks. Hopefully I won't miss out on these discounts, although the price diff between what I paid last week and today's prices is about $8 a tank.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Prices are slow to drop in Northern Tassie  :fum: Still around $1.48 for Petrol and Diesel  :mad:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

I was/am under the impression that diesel fuel is exempt for the time being from any carbon tax. I remember the truckies doing their riot/protest thing and then she dropped it for a few years....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Clear as mud.

A price on carbon will not apply to fuel for off-road and on-road light transport by agriculture, forestry and fisheries. Households and small business will also be exempt from a carbon price on fuel. Although a 6c reduction in the off-road diesel fuel rebate will cause general pain for junior miners and for rural and regional business. There will also be a delay in the application of a carbon price on heavy on-road transport.

But I suspect that means carbon tax applicable to private users. Although the second sentence might suggest otherwise.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

Been trying to find an answer... I knew we wouldn't get slugged with the tax as our PM was not in a strong enough position to push that part through parliament :P

http://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/transport-fuels/

"On-road use by households and light commercial vehicles
Households and on-road commercial vehicles 4.5 tonnes and under currently pay the full rate of excise. They will continue to pay excise under current arrangements but will not also pay a carbon price on top of this."
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for that fact sheet, Bryan..... :goodjob:

The first sentence tells us we're not gonna be paying the carbon tax....

Households, on-road business use of light vehicles and the agriculture, forestry and fishery industries will not face a carbon price on the fuel they use.

Can't get much clearer than that.... :)

I also saw this:

A new wave of vehicles are becoming available that are cleaner and cheaper to run. Under new standards being introduced from 2015, all car companies will be required to reduce emission levels from vehicles they sell by introducing better technologies and adjusting the range of models they sell in Australia. 

What's the bet this will be when we get a DPF fitted to Aussie i30's..... :undecided:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

What's the bet this will be when we get a DPF fitted to Aussie i30's..... :undecided:
What? I thought that we already had them now...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nope, we're lucky enough not to have them as yet.... :goodjob:

If you pop the bonnet on your car you should find a yellow sticker on the engine cover telling you that it does not have one fitted....

Here's a pic of mine, I assume yours will be similar, even though it's a later model......

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Households and on-road commercial vehicles 4.5 tonnes and under currently pay the full rate of excise. They will continue to pay excise under current arrangements but will not also pay a carbon price on top of this."
As much as I would like to believe it, I can't see how, when you read into the application of a carbon tax to producers, there won't be an under the counter increase in fuel prices.
The ACCC can't control the fuel companies now, so how will they prevent another couple of cents per litre being tacked onto the wholesale price?

Yeah. I know I sound cynical. But I've seen too many "good intentions" counteracted for the benefit of a few over the years to hope this will be any different.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As much as I would like to believe it, I can't see how, when you read into the application of a carbon tax to producers, there won't be an under the counter increase in fuel prices.
The ACCC can't control the fuel companies now, so how will they prevent another couple of cents per litre being tacked onto the wholesale price?

Yeah. I know I sound cynical. But I've seen too many "good intentions" counteracted for the benefit of a few over the years to hope this will be any different.

So if some are exempt, who IS paying it and who is going to determine who pays it.
Do I understand that whenever it is applied, a semi trailer will pay more than a private vehicle & the fuel operator determines this, I certainly hope not.  :fum:

BTW Fuel in Adelaide Petrol 1.229 Diesel 1.445, unbelievable  :fum: :fum:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Thanks. Will check it out.

As for being "lucky" not to have them, why's this? Do they affect performance, economy, etc.?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks. Will check it out.

As for being "lucky" not to have them, why's this? Do they affect performance, economy, etc.?

Searching DPF will bring up a lot more info but basically, although Hyundai appears to use a very reliable brand of DPF with a very minimal failure rate, some owners with them don't like the regeneration process and the effect it has on economy (doesn't appear to effect performance much)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

If you pop the bonnet on your car you should find a yellow sticker on the engine cover telling you that it does not have one fitted....
And yes, you're right. Mine has that sticker too...

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

That's all totally fine... but the piont of this is that the carbon tax wont be put on fuel/diesel. If the servos/ oil companies put it up then that is not the carbon tax directly. :) 
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Guys,
For the optional 7,500 service is there any risk of voiding the warranty if you do it yourself?
I mean I will buy a good oil that meets manufacturer specifications however with the oil filter
if I just get an OEM one will that be enough or do I have to get a Hyundai one?
Reason for asking is, when the next scheduled service occurs, if I install an OEM filter and they see
it they may start asking question.....
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guys,
For the optional 7,500 service is there any risk of voiding the warranty if you do it yourself?
I mean I will buy a good oil that meets manufacturer specifications however with the oil filter
Reason for asking is, when the next scheduled service occurs, if I install an OEM filter and they see
it they may start asking question.....

Most reputable filter companies guarantee their filters against causing any damage to your motor (so in theory they will cover you - but I guess it could get messy)  :whistler:

The i30 Diesel is pretty much bullet proof (with only an extremely rare Turbo failure being reported) ..So I wouldn't be overly concerned about what they think.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Speaking of optional services, I decided to get mine done a couple of months ago. However, it was closer to 10k than it was 7.5k. The service people stamped the booklet for the 7.5k one but the sticker on the window tells me that next service is the 30k one.

I shall have to call them to clarify which it is before the "mandatory" 15k rolls around.

Thing is, bullet-proof diesels or otherwise, the idea of running a brand new engine on its original oil to 15,000 km was somewhat off putting to this old school former motor mech, so I paid to have it done.

Pip
If you want to do the intermediate yourself why not do as I do and just change the oil and leave the filter alone. It will last the journey (as will the oil probably but a few quid for a few litres of oil is hardly wasted). Spend the money saved on the filter on top shelf oil instead. :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal