i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 headlights just dropped ?????

Offline SevthOrder

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
Hello all, OK.... First off I'm very mechanically inclined, but this car is my girl friends ( in other words she wont let me touch the car unless I know exactly what to do! (with that out of the way)

Here is the deal and question, OK, yesterday evening we jumped into the car and turned the lights on.... But the head lights where pointing down ( like 1 meter in front of the car)

1st check was under the hood to find manual adjusters (using only my iPhone LED light)  well i could not find any thing to adjust them with!!!

2nd, I check both fuse boxes the next day with a light tester. All fuses checked out :-(

3rd, i tried the cool guy tactic (when she wasn't looking) give the headlights a swift beating with my hand (hoping something would just start work to bring them back up so we could drive safely at night (instead lights and fog lights... Not fun driving that way) have to make someone feel like they are being followed on the autobahn so I could get us home.

Any help to get this adjustment working again would be gratefully appreciated,

Thanks,
JC
  • i30d

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Sev

Does your girlfriends car not have the sub-dashboard rotary switch to realign the headlamps (near the dashboard illumination rheostat)? You don't give us much to go on :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline SevthOrder

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
Sorry, yes it has the rotory switch. When it rotate it nothing happens not even a sound from the E motor
  • i30d

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I wonder why they would suddenly be in the lowered position :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Sev.. Very strange (hopefully someone has an explanation and fix??) Have you contacted the Hyundai Dealer yet? Please let us know what happens  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline SevthOrder

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
I haven't. Been to the dealer yet.... They close early on Sat and closed on Sunday here in Germany. But I will figure this out, maybe I'll wait until the girl friend goes to back to the hospital, and just tinker around a bit.....if I find the fix, I'll post it.

One thing I have in mind is to disconnect the battery for about ten minutes and hope it resets the light situation  :confused:
  • i30d

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I haven't. Been to the dealer yet.... They close early on Sat and closed on Sunday here in Germany. But I will figure this out, maybe I'll wait until the girl friend goes to back to the hospital, and just tinker around a bit.....if I find the fix, I'll post it.

One thing I have in mind is to disconnect the battery for about ten minutes and hope it resets the light situation  :confused:

Worth a try but unlikely to work IMO (hope you have a reset code for the Radio)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like the BCM is having issues, especially if the headlamp motors have been instructed to lower themselves without the switch being involved  :eek:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
3rd, i tried the cool guy tactic (when she wasn't looking) give the headlights a swift beating with my hand (hoping something would just start work to bring them back up so we could drive safely at night (instead lights and fog lights... Not fun driving that way) have to make someone feel like they are being followed on the autobahn so I could get us home.

Thanks,
JC

Welcome SevthOrder, can't help sorry  :fum:

We have a comedian in our midst  :goodjob2: :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Worth a try but unlikely to work IMO (hope you have a reset code for the Radio)

What reset code, Daz?  :undecided:

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
I'd also like to know how to do this -- I have a 2010 i30 SLX -- Will I have a rotary switch? Or will I have to do it under the dash?
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'd also like to know how to do this -- I have a 2010 i30 SLX -- Will I have a rotary switch? Or will I have to do it under the dash?

Aussie i30 headlights (for the FD series at least) are not remotely adjustable sorry  (only way to adjust is an adjustment screw in the back of the light housing)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
From what you say it would appear that the leveler motor has failed.
I know it may be stating the obvious but I take it you have turned the wheel once the car is running so the power is active.

Have you checked the fuse just in case that has blown?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Aussie i30 headlights (for the FD series at least) are not remotely adjustable sorry  (only way to adjust is an adjustment screw in the back of the light housing)

Seems to be like this...? :yoohoo:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Alasama,thanks for posting that, but it aint just that simple,the left and right adjustment can't be done with the light assembly in the car,unless you know of someone who has a tool that can look and turn around corners,took me ages to get Bruces lights set properly,one day I'll have to do Cyrils when I got a spare few hours
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I haven't. Been to the dealer yet....

if I find the fix, I'll post it.

SevthOrder --- Any update on this?

Offline SevthOrder

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Germany

Offline SevthOrder

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
OK folks, I did take the car to the dealers on Friday..... So the tech asked if the car had been crashed! I must have had that " are you crazy look on my face" but the answer is NO. In other words he was stumped and has no Idea what is wrong.... So I had to make a new "all day appointment" on the 30Th Oct.

From what I could tell that he did was, replaced the headlight level rotator switch, and tried different headlights to no avail.

Well, I'll give you the final results once I get the car back on Halloween (BOOOOO!)

What I suspect is a modual or relay switch is bad, and they need to get out which one is bad... I'd say give me a perfectly good working i30 sitting next to it and get the hell out of the way for about two hours and I'll find the problem myself!

Have a a great weekend folks,
JC
  • i30d

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Shocked: Weird, so you can't drive at night for the next 10 days  :disapp:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

OK folks, I did take the car to the dealers on Friday..... So the tech asked if the car had been crashed! I must have had that " are you crazy look on my face" but the answer is NO. In other words he was stumped and has no Idea what is wrong.... So I had to make a new "all day appointment" on the 30Th Oct.

From what I could tell that he did was, replaced the headlight level rotator switch, and tried different headlights to no avail.

Well, I'll give you the final results once I get the car back on Halloween (BOOOOO!)

What I suspect is a modual or relay switch is bad, and they need to get out which one is bad... I'd say give me a perfectly good working i30 sitting next to it and get the hell out of the way for about two hours and I'll find the problem myself!

Have a a great weekend folks,
JC

Thanks.

Will be interested as to what the issue is..

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hello all, OK.... First off I'm very mechanically inclined, but this car is my girl friends ( in other words she wont let me touch the car unless I know exactly what to do! (with that out of the way)

Here is the deal and question, OK, yesterday evening we jumped into the car and turned the lights on.... But the head lights where pointing down ( like 1 meter in front of the car)

1st check was under the hood to find manual adjusters (using only my iPhone LED light)  well i could not find any thing to adjust them with!!!

2nd, I check both fuse boxes the next day with a light tester. All fuses checked out :-(

Thanks,
JC

the adjustments are small screw type looking things with teeth around them.  They stick out of the back of the housings.  Hard to find and reach with your hand because of proximity to other things in the engine bay, but I have adjusted mine by hand before.  I'll post a photo if you like some time

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal