i30 Owners Club

Servicing by the book (belt, pulleys, tensioner)

Just Rick · 58 · 25258

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hi! All
 Need a fair bit of feed back here, my first question is when do you actually replace the drive(timing) belt on the deisel I30, from what I have read in the service schedule, it only requires replacing when needed,most services it is only required to be inspected.

which then leads to the next question, has anyone had their belt and guide pulleys replaced and at what price, I have been quoted a couple of prices one for the shop to supply and fit all parts, the other for me to supply parts and them just do the labour, neither a very cheap option.

which leads to yet another question, dealer and also my own mechanic, say that all the quide pulleys and tensioner should be replaced, as I do my own minor service between warrantable services, I have had a dang good look all through that end of the engine bay and for the life of me I can not see a tensioner(maybe I'm blind)I can locate the three guide pulleys, the alternator,harmonic balancer,air conditioner and cam pulleys,without pulling the front end apart, all I can see is the tension on the belt is done with the adjustment of the air con unit,like I say without having a real good look by pulling more inspection plates off the car,so if someone hs done their timing belt, can you confirm whether the deisel does in fact have a tensioner on the brive belt.

yet another question for those doing their own minor services,what are you paying for filters,oil and alike as I have found there are such large differences at what places charge, it seems extremely strange to me that I can go and buy parts and oil over the counter, far cheaper than the busnesses which do the servicing,as they should be getting bulk discount, I happened to walk into coventry's yesterday in my work uniform and I was able to get a filter for cost, $10 cheaper than my normal mechanic and $14 cheaper than hyundai and as for the oil that was half price compared to what either of my service people charge.

Rick
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Rick

Your's must be a 2.0 litre diesel engine - which does have a timing belt. 

Most of us here have 1.6 litre diesels which have a chain - not a belt. Hence it may be that only few members here can talk from experience.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
ALAN
No mines the 1.6
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You must have a chain, my friend. As Alan says, the only models fitted with kevlar belts were the 2.0L models.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think Rick means the V-belt, not the timing belt.

The v-belt, or whatever you guys call it, runs the alternator, ac-compressor a.s.o as mentioned from Rick.

I'm not sure if there is a change interval for the v-belt. It is something I only change when needed, i.e when it becomes noisy.

You can check it for cracks when you do your service.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Rick, at first i thought you ment a cam timing belt, like they said the i30 CRDi diesel uses a chain, i've always called the belt you must be talking about a fan belt. i did close to 100,000k on my first i30 CRDi never replaced that. i don't think they would be under that much load. but would be an exerlent idea to buy a spare & carry it with you for when you need it.
about service parts i buy enough to last over 100,000k when i buy the car as prices go up in this country not down :rofl: got mine from Hy Spares.
the way i see it you buy a car at a good price. & dealer drums it into you to make sure you meet the service manager as thats how they recover $ mark up parts prices charge around $100 to $150 per hour . an independent would charge $50 to $80 & probably do a better job.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Totally agree with Lakes.
If you mean the alternator etc drive belt (s) they should go for a long time but just one cautionary tale.

I posted a story on here a couple of years ago on a car we did the belts on at 45,000 klm service. From memory it was a diesel and both belts needed replacing. One was badly cracked and the other had a rib peeling off.

So the inspection is important.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, the serpentine belt, V belt, fan belt (no fan), should be periodically inspected for cracks or damage. I generally carry a spare (but not in the i30 yet) just to be on the safe side. I used to get 160k's out of the old standard v belt, not sure about the flatter ribbed serpentine belts.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Yes, the serpentine belt, V belt, fan belt (no fan), should be periodically inspected for cracks or damage. I generally carry a spare (but not in the i30 yet) just to be on the safe side. I used to get 160k's out of the old standard v belt, not sure about the flatter ribbed serpentine belts.

My experience is that those flatter ribbed serpentine belts last a lot longer than the old type v-belt.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Rick, I think it's pretty universal in the trade that mechanic's double dip. They slug you their labour and then make a nice little bonus from selling you the parts they got at trade prices by charging you retail....

As for buying filters etc, check out here, you'll find a number of links for cheap bit's & pieces.... :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
From memory, my belt was changed at around the 130,000 km mark by my mechanic because it was showing signs of cracking.
Just out of interest, what's your work uniform?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
From memory, my belt was changed at around the 130,000 km mark by my mechanic because it was showing signs of cracking.

In the 45,000 klm example I mentioned above, I posted pics of the two belts in question. I can't find where  posted it now and have long since deletd the pics from my computer.

hang on........................ Photobucket...................?

Found them.
Just to recap. 45000 klms. Diesel. Also needed new front pads. Elderly couple - she drove it mostly. No evidence of excessive braking or heat. No evidence of oil etc affecting the belts.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
db08
no secrets here,I work for K&S Freighters,I told my Missus what happened,she pointed out that she was going through the union leaflets and new card that come out a little while ago and said that conventy's was one of the listed retailers that offer trade prices to TWU members.
Rick

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Ah, OK, thanks.
It's good to have a discount suit.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
thanks everyone, not being fimiliar with these little east west motors and not finding any pictures of the late model I30 engines(find plenty of the early one) wasn't sure whether they were internal or external timing belts/chains,yes it was the external drive belt I was talking of, we have had our old wagon since 89 when it was new,those flat drive belts would only get replaced when needed(one actually did a little under 200,000 K's) only reason I do my own intermediate services is I have to service Bruce and Cyril about every ten weeks and thats with alternating using them,they've both clocked up over 53000 K's in just over twelve months and at the prices service cemtres want it gets a little pricie forking out between $500 to $1000 every ten weeks, between the two cars.
I figger the money is better in my pocket,even after buying parts,oil and paying for the fluids tests and a day of my labour is still cheaper than doing one intermidiate service at a service centre.
Rustynutz thanks for the parts link.
All I need now isa full workshop manual,a service program for my spare laptop would be nice too  :whistler:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
My last car, Nissan Primera petrol 1993, did 207.000 km without a change of that multirip belt.  :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
thanks everyone, not being fimiliar with these little east west motors and not finding any pictures of the late model I30 engines(find plenty of the early one) wasn't sure whether they were internal or external timing belts/chains,yes it was the external drive belt I was talking of, we have had our old wagon since 89 when it was new,those flat drive belts would only get replaced when needed(one actually did a little under 200,000 K's) only reason I do my own intermediate services is I have to service Bruce and Cyril about every ten weeks and thats with alternating using them,they've both clocked up over 53000 K's in just over twelve months and at the prices service cemtres want it gets a little pricie forking out between $500 to $1000 every ten weeks, between the two cars.
I figger the money is better in my pocket,even after buying parts,oil and paying for the fluids tests and a day of my labour is still cheaper than doing one intermidiate service at a service centre.
Rustynutz thanks for the parts link.
All I need now isa full workshop manual,a service program for my spare laptop would be nice too  :whistler:

Rick i had early i30 motor & have late one not much difference the cover over the top is biggest change & the exhast turbo manifold different different part number on injectors. but basicaly same motor. i recon its a good idea to carry a spare belt. as they say better to have it & not need it than need it & not have it.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
This any use to ya, Rick?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HYUNDAI-i30-1-6L-4CYL-TURBO-DIESEL-GATES-BELT-NULINE-PULLEY-UPGRADE-KIT-/251027258848?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7263fde0

It does say it's for 07-09 models though...  :undecided:

At that price i would just replace the belt... :scared:

If one of the bearings should go bad, you should be able to hear it some time before it breaks totally.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This any use to ya, Rick?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HYUNDAI-i30-1-6L-4CYL-TURBO-DIESEL-GATES-BELT-NULINE-PULLEY-UPGRADE-KIT-/251027258848?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7263fde0

It does say it's for 07-09 models though...  :undecided:

At that price i would just replace the belt... :scared:

If one of the bearings should go bad, you should be able to hear it some time before it breaks totally.

From my experience the bearings go before the belt and I didn't hear either of the two that have gone on me (on Falcons). Given the belt is usually the most expensive (and would make up at least 50% of the cost) it may prove to be false economy.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Strange, my serpentine belt for the commodore was only $28.00

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
About $50 on the Falcon, the little wheel that went and took it out was around $30.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Rustynutz yes I looked at those and as other said I though for what you where getting, they were a little pricy, I am going to go back to Coventry's and get some prices there.

as for the pulley bearings, don't know about the Hyundai's but I have seized three of the guide pulleys on my commodore, no noise or for warning noises, they simply seized.

with a lot of phone calls and talking to many mechanics,as eveyone has stated the external drive belt in certain circumstamces should be changed every 60 to 70 thousand K's,in my situation where I do a lot of long constant running,regular inspection and changing when required seem to be the deemed diagnosis.

Then moving onto the timing Chain(internal)somewhere along the line a mythe of changing them at 90000 has arisen, now I'm not sure where this one has developed,but that is why I started asking all these question,because this is an extremely expensive excercise, now is this a marketing ploy to rip more money off us or is it fact that the internal timing chain should be changed at X K's.

What I've found out,rang two H dealers, posing the question about the timing chain,one said 90000 K's the other said 120000 K's I also rang an independant shop, again I was quoted the obligitary 90000 K's, so then made a few calls spoke to a few more deisel mechanics posing the same question, their opinion was far different to the dealers, so unless I hear a timing chain rattle in either of mine,the timing chain aint getting done,I will do the drive belt at regular intervals.

Pip
Before toothed belts were invented all side cams were driven by metal gears or chains (except for some crap that used fibre gears - I'm thinking Holdens). Chains never broke but may have stretched (worn link bearings) and were only replaced when noisy or whatever. Overhead cams required longer belts and rubber belts fitted the bill and were wonderful until...

I've replaced plenty of rubber cog-belts both before and after (no disasters even on interference engines) but never a chain. It was one of the reasons I liked the Hy (diesel) engine at the time. I think(?) all our engines' cams are now chain driven.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Ah!! Pip can't remember the amount of the stinking fibre cog's I changed,first thing I used to do everytime I got a new (second hand) Holden years ago,take it home and change the fibre cog for a new alloy one,used to have that job done to a fine art on the old red motors.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Whenever a engine is fitted with metal gears or chains, instead of the rubber timing belt, it's supposed to last the engine out.

It cost the blue down from the sky to change the metal gears or chains.  :scared:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The classic Alfa twin cam engines had chains which I used to replace for people from time to time and it didn't take long to do. Essentially set the engine to tdc on 1, release the tensioner, break the chain, join the new one to the old one and draw the new chain through. Join the chain making sure the joiner was facing the right way, set the tensioner, adjust the timing properly and that was pretty much it. I'm assuming the Hyundai engines might make it a bit harder than that to do.

I would think the chain is a lifetime proposition in the Hyundai engines however.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've actually never heard of anyone having any requirement to replace a chain. Were they a problem in the alfa's. Were they a duplex chain or single.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've actually never heard of anyone having any requirement to replace a chain. Were they a problem in the alfa's. Were they a duplex chain or single.
Gee Phil. Don't you remember the timing chains in the original Sigmas. They were noisy as all hell after about 20,000 miles and needed to be replaced in almost every case.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal