i30 Owners Club

Are you an ALDI bargain hunter?

Lakes · 220 · 43376

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey Lakes, you'd like my compressor, it's a V Twin....  :D
that would be a good one Rusty & i'll bet its much smoother runing than the big single piston i have here.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Love the place.

Even the wife's computer is from there (they had a couple left and dropped the advertised price by $100....Happy days). If you don't like it take it

I will shop there before I go to Woolworths. They have annoyed me by deleting lines, not having things in stock that they should (how can someone who calls themselves the fresh food people run out of onions or carrots?) and their service has fallen (no we won't reduce staff when we introduce 'self service' checkouts...Honest).

You have to look after the competition, if Aldi (or the local green grocer and butcher) fail,  who will stand up to the big 2 and keep prices low.

I agree with that 100% Beerman, have noticed Woolys flease us for sure! also waisted time today going in looking for blueberrys non at all i'll shop at ALDI for any food i need that they stock too. no BS like discount fuel ( what a joke that is & flybys as if they give out freebies.
they just try to close small local shops down till no comp then jack prices up.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hey Lakes, you'd like my compressor, it's a V Twin....  :D
that would be a good one Rusty & i'll bet its much smoother runing than the big single piston i have here.

It's not too bad, John....It does move around if I don't put a bit of rubber under it though. Bloody thing also weighs a ton!  :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Love the place.

Even the wife's computer is from there (they had a couple left and dropped the advertised price by $100....Happy days). If you don't like it take it

I will shop there before I go to Woolworths. They have annoyed me by deleting lines, not having things in stock that they should (how can someone who calls themselves the fresh food people run out of onions or carrots?) and their service has fallen (no we won't reduce staff when we introduce 'self service' checkouts...Honest).

You have to look after the competition, if Aldi (or the local green grocer and butcher) fail,  who will stand up to the big 2 and keep prices low.

I'm with you beerman.
I have a rowing machine (originally $199 - a few left over dropped to $99 about 6 months later. It's a great unit and still works well 3 years later. My son bought at the $199 price point and was less than happy  :disapp: :rofl: when his sister and I went halves in one at $99. :goodjob: :happydance:
I have a TV which everyone suggested would be too slow for sports - shows NRL and motor racing fine with no pixellation.
And a capsule coffee machine. Until Aldi introduce this 12 months ago last November (with a 2 year warranty), everyone wanted hundreds of $$ for them. Now most places have an entry level option at around $100. Aldi is still only $89.
Also got a bike stationary stand a few months ago - $49 IIRC. Every where else seems to be up to $150.
We buy a few groceries from them but selectively and gradually working up the range.
Waay back my son bought an infaltable mattress from them (double bed) for camping and it developed a slow leak which I couldn't find. As is his usual method, he never kept the receipt. I took it back to the local branch (he bought it in Brisbane) and explained the situation. No problem. "Sorry we don't have any at present but here's your money back."
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I have a TV which everyone suggested would be too slow for sports - shows NRL and motor racing fine with no pixellation.

don’t follow.

pixellation is due to signal not what is being shown.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Waay back my son bought an infaltable mattress from them

You can't fault that.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It was probably me, I don't think I said it was too slow, but in a LCD TV when the camera pans, every pixel has to be remapped into a new position on the screen. There is a response lag associated with this and if the lag time is too high, then the picture can be blurry. Modern screens are getting faster, but you actually cant beat a CRT, however, the CRT doesn't have the screen resolution that LCD's can achieve.

I'm glad yours is OK Surferdude.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It was probably me, I don't think I said it was too slow, but in a LCD TV when the camera pans, every pixel has to be remapped into a new position on the screen. There is a response lag associated with this and if the lag time is too high, then the picture can be blurry. Modern screens are getting faster, but you actually cant beat a CRT, however, the CRT doesn't have the screen resolution that LCD's can achieve.

I'm glad yours is OK Surferdude.
Something like that.
Several people quoted response time (may not be the correct term) numbers and suggested it wasn't necessarily up to scratch. In fact, since then I've been unable to fins any TVs with the numbers being quoted as "the latest".

Here's the original discussion.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=13939.0

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...the CRT doesn't have the screen resolution that LCD's can achieve.
I always thought CRTs had a far higher resolution :eek:

Just shows what I know  :undecided:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
In Oz & I think Europe, the screen is divided into 625 lines, phased alternately (PAL), which is a bit short of 1080p.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hold the boat!
Let's not confuse screen resolution with TV standards.
A CRT ALWAYS has the potential to beat LCD because its projection is analogue, which is technically infinitely more hi-res than digital. However, the electronics that drive your image are going to work on a finite amount of bits to achieve your image.
An LCD is limited to the number of physical Liquid Crystal Display cells with which it is constructed.
A CRT is a continuous coating of phosfor on the inside of a vacuum tube and will smoothly display to whatever resolution the electronics will deflect the beams.
If you have a graphics card that exceeds the resolution of your LCD, then you have a case to keep that big old CRT monitor!  :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I was commenting on TV for Australia Gonz, not the theoretical possibilities of CRT. As there Isn't any analogue TV signal in Adelaide & I don't have a super duper graphics card, our dinosour TV went West, ages ago.

Of course, what you state is correct.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
No problem, Phil. I was more focussed on Shambles's comment. Maybe he was just poking fun.  :whistler:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Not really. I always regarded my CRT as being a much much higher res than any LCD I've ever had, and you kinda confirmed the reason why.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Are we talking monitors or TV :question:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
No we are talking about a TV trev got at ALDI :whistler: :)
we had to get a new water pump for the rain water tanks. ALDI had one on a special 7 got it, when the time came to use it it did not work, took it back & all there stock was back at warehouse, no way to get a replacement, so they just gave us the money back. had to buy one at Bunnings. still they back there products 100%.
CRT stand for? i hardly ever watch TV only sport or News. there is a what i think, is a good flat panel  TV thats big enough in the new Villa i just bought down the coast. what i'll need to find out from our tech Guru's is how do i get this TV to show things i have in my ipad? & via Wi Fi. i've seen a friend do this with movies & want to do the same?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
CRT= Cathode Ray Tube, or an old type, heavy glass TV screen.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
what i'll need to find out from our tech Guru's is how do i get this TV to show things i have in my ipad? & via Wi Fi. i've seen a friend do this with movies & want to do the same?

Hi John I did this the other day with my Android Tablet and our LG TV (both items need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi Router)

Not all TV's will connect to Wi-Fi. The TV either needs to be new enough to have Wi-fi built in or be compatible with a wifi dongle.

Then with Android you have to hit the Share option. I assume Apple is similar.

Apple people will know more.

If you let me know the Model and Brand of the TV next time you are down there I can check if it is likely to work. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@ Gonz.....have you found a good large LED TV screen that is good for watching fast moving sports.....car racing/football/soccer.....without leaving a slight shadow?.......

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
CRT= Cathode Ray Tube, or an old type, heavy glass TV screen.
Old School , i prefer the new stuff, much lighter easy to mount on wall . but i saw a funny thing last month. went to a party & the guy having the party (50th) always likes old stuff, he rebuilt the motor on an old EJ Holden Premier Auto ( old grey holden motor & two speed auto )he done that about 15 years ago, & his old Mum just loves it still would not drive anything else LOL and he has a lot of old Holdens all models & i thought this was dumped in the paddock , an old 59 ford F100 tray back but  NO that fly's it's got an old Y Block V8 he rebuilt, it just fly's LOL ( i could not imagine anyone else that would be impressed with an old Y Block V8 Fords performance. LOL then he proudly tells me to come in look at his telly, he had one of them old wood cabinet TV's like we had when Telivision first came to Australia back in 50's the screen was that small i told him i'd need reading glass's to watch it LOL but something was wrong it was showing colour not the old grainy black & white they came originaly. he proudly tells me he put a late flat pannel monitor inside. ( but still small) some people never change. but his Mum would be cheap to keep one car since 1963 ( she has owned it from new , still in beautiful condition too )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Would have loved to see some picture of that stuff John (the cars and the TV!)  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We had an EJ Premier too 138 CID, (posh), Actually the Hydramatic is a 3 speed transmission that short shifts if the load is light. The Powerglide fitted in the HD onwards, was a 2 speed only and a really bad idea IMO. We also had the EH Hydramatic in 179 CID red motor, a great car, I'd like one now.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
We had an EJ Premier too 138 CID, (posh), Actually the Hydramatic is a 3 speed transmission that short shifts if the load is light. The Powerglide fitted in the HD onwards, was a 2 speed only and a really bad idea IMO. We also had the EH Hydramatic in 179 CID red motor, a great car, I'd like one now.

Please try to remember, Phil, that this is an English speaking forum :scared:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
EJ, EH & HD are all 1960's Holden car models

CID = Cubic Inch Displacement

:-[ :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

and Powerglide and Hydromatic are types of automatic transmissions. :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

I knew what you were talking about LOL I had a FC.HD.HR and HQ at differnet times all three in a tree,I didn't like any of the early GMH auto's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I knew what you were talking about LOL I had a FC.HD.HR and HQ at differnet times all three in a tree,I didn't like any of the early GMH auto's

Pretty sure all us "old" Aussies did, Rick. It's just those Pommies who can't keep up.  :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Please try to remember, Phil, that this is an English speaking forum :scared:

There's always this option, Steve!   :whistler:

:link:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
@ Gonz.....have you found a good large LED TV screen that is good for watching fast moving sports.....car racing/football/soccer.....without leaving a slight shadow?.......
We have an LG 55in 3D with 400Hz refresh rate, which is plenty for eliminating motion blur associated with older 100Hz TVs.  :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Gonz, If I may, the refresh rate I am referring to, is the time it takes for each LCD element to change state, which is a different parameter to the screen refresh rate. Is there a correlation between the two, I admit I only pick this stuff up from magazines, I'm not professionally trained and would defer to your explanation.

The 400 hz is a great thing when a camera pans, 50 Hz causes the whole screen to jitter and is very hard on the eyes. Panning right is worse than panning left for some reason. We have 2D 100 Hz which is better than nothing.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal